Author Topic: Fax send/receive capability  (Read 2878 times)

lon22

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Fax send/receive capability
« on: January 10, 2008, 05:32:35 pm »
Does anyone know if LMCE supports the sending and receiving of faxes. Is there some place where you can enable this functionality. I didn't see anything in the documentation on this, so I doubt it does. I think that it would be useful if LMCE could support faxes. As long as you have a scanner you can send a fax from a computer and a printer to print a received one.

fibres

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LinuxMCE 08.10 RC Mirror.
Re: Fax send/receive capability
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 07:37:23 pm »
Hi

Well asterisk which is used in linuxmce can support the recieving of faxes and converting them into emails if the incoming trunk supports it.
I am not sure xactly how you would set this up though.

Regards

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 07:52:41 pm »
Well asterisk which is used in linuxmce can support the recieving of faxes and converting them into emails if the incoming trunk supports it.
I am not sure xactly how you would set this up though.

Asterisk's support of faxing (with regular - analog - fax machines) is notoriously unreliable over the Internet. It requires using a different protocol that must be supported by the telephony connection provider, and even then usually requires lots of extra (and expensive) software, like HylaFax - and still isn't 100% reliable.

It's probably better to embed a separate SW package that supports a dedicated Internet faxing service rather than route it through Asterisk. However, if the LMCE Asterisk is connected to the phone network over a non-Internet line (eg. POTS or TDM, possibly even ISDN), then it can be reliable without great expense and custom configuration/troubleshooting. Still, Asterisk+Fax is an arcane black art that usually doesn't work, except over a regular phoneline.

fibres

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LinuxMCE 08.10 RC Mirror.
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 07:57:03 pm »
I would agree there.
Aterisk2fax works great if you have your phone line direct into the machine.

However Unless you are using full bandwidth g711 to connect to a voip trunk there will be lots of problems with it,

Regards