Author Topic: What about LinuxMCE as a carputer with a 7'' lilliput display?  (Read 8539 times)

jvizueta

• Regular Poster
  • "Software is like sex; it’s better when it’s free"
    • View Profile
What about LinuxMCE as a carputer with a 7'' lilliput display?
« on: January 04, 2008, 04:02:04 pm »
Has any of you tried LMCE as a carputer (this one uses mac mini) on a Car PC Monitor like 7'' lilliput??
It seems like an interesting application of LMCE, I've seen videos of very light Windows XP machines running RoadRunner and mac minis, but no Linux front end indeed.

I searched for "lilliput" in this forum and found no matches

Thanks for your kind replies  :-X

"Which mindset is right? Mine, of course. People who disagree with me are by definition crazy. (Until I change my mind, when they can suddenly become upstanding citizens. I'm flexible, and not black-and-white.)"
      - Linus Torvalds

nexus256

• View Profile
Re: What about LinuxMCE as a carputer with a 7'' lilliput display?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 08:07:47 pm »
I think that the time for booting up, each time the car starts is to long!

jvizueta

• Regular Poster
  • "Software is like sex; it’s better when it’s free"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 08:30:26 pm »
I think that the time for booting up, each time the car starts is to long!

This wiki entry shows you how to suspend your MD, it might well be a start for solving this problem
"Which mindset is right? Mine, of course. People who disagree with me are by definition crazy. (Until I change my mind, when they can suddenly become upstanding citizens. I'm flexible, and not black-and-white.)"
      - Linus Torvalds

Rob

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 02:51:59 am »
I haven't tried it but I do agree. I've long believed that the car is a logical extension of LinuxMCE. LinuxMCE allows viewing of all types of media, control of devices (doors), linking with cameras (backup cam), and integrating with other applications (GPS Nav).

A nice feature would be automatic synchronization with your home linuxMCE system by downloading movies, shows, audio, emails to the car hard-drive over wi-fi. One of the problems seems to be the inability to have a non-diskless MD, but having a full-blown core in your car might be overkill. So I think there needs to be a new system type in between a core and a MD that can run without constant connection to the core. Another benefit of LinuxMCE is the possibility of using your phone to start your car and control the audio/video from the back seat, although there are obviously security problems with Bluetooth that need to be addressed.

A couple linux car computer projects are:
https://www.timekiller.org/carpc/index.php
http://www.dashpc.com/

I think the above projects are open source so they can be used as a starting point for adding drivers and GPS navigation.

-RobB

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 09:50:22 pm »
I'm not sure what the value would be as a car computer but I have got the egalax touchscreen drivers to work with LMCE on a 7" LCD from eBay. It would be possible to use its media capabilities for the car. However the home automation for a car is another story- but some enterprising programmer may be able to hack in to the car's network through OBD2 and integrate the two systems. Could be an interesting product. . .  But should be careful near the driver.

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 10:51:59 pm »
I'm not sure what the value would be as a car computer but I have got the egalax touchscreen drivers to work with LMCE on a 7" LCD from eBay. ....
Hi,

I'm in the same boat, but do spot some problems with my cheap touchscreen... It seems that quite often looses calibration (particularly goes mad if I also use mouse)... What are your experiences ?

I also spot that after long period of inactivity first few touches are pretty innacurate...

I'd kindly ask if you can post any more info about your setup.... Having cheap, but reliably working touchscreen is one of important aspects of using LMCE...

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

ddamron

• Alumni
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 01:45:14 am »
However the home automation for a car is another story- but some enterprising programmer may be able to hack in to the car's network through OBD2 and integrate the two systems. Could be an interesting product. . .  But should be careful near the driver.

That sounds Fun!  Anyone know where I can get OBD2 specs?? lol
The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 07:06:36 am »
There's lots on OBD2 on the web. Its a mandated open spec (Thanks to the California Air Resources Board) with a lot of closed secret stuff for the car makers but people are doing some interesting things through it. I saw one company that worked out how to change (reprogram) the injection computer through the interface. It can be very car specific.

On my efforts with the eGalax stuff it seems pretty stable as long as the driver starts. If the USB is missing it defaults to mouse mode and on mine thats reversed from normal. The eGalax site refers to counterfeit chips (what a lot of money and hassle for a few bucks) that almost work. I tried the open source driver but that didn't work. I got the eGalax driver to work but that was some hassle (particularly starting the cal in root mode, not easy)

ddamron

• Alumni
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 08:36:07 am »
Heh, I started googling it, found a schematic for a complete ODBII circuit based on a PIC MCU.. (16F84)

looks interesting...

Ahh, another project for another day..

Regards,

Dan
The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 12:02:34 pm »
Hi,

I'm also in the same boat. But currently I think it's the best solution to have some of better windows car htpc guis and use Windows Orbiter for house control and do the rest of media sync manually... I also have prepared HW, but have no time to play with it...

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.