Author Topic: linuxmcestore comming soon. Now Open  (Read 88117 times)

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
Re: linuxmcestore comming soon.
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 08:48:10 pm »

I would suspect your hard work to put everything together would be used by most as a place to search for known compatible parts and then search the web for them cheaper elsewhere.

To those with price as the only reason they shop you are absolutely right. I am hoping enough will see value in a one stop shop to make it worth it. Like I said in a previous post, "Not planning on quiting my day job just yet."
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

jgaffney

• Douchebag
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 10:21:24 pm »
Just wouldn't want someone to put in a ton of work that a bunch of freeloaders would take advantage of.  I hope it works out.
Good Luck.

tkmedia

• View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 11:54:54 pm »
Just wouldn't want someone to put in a ton of work that a bunch of freeloaders would take advantage of.  I hope it works out.
Good Luck.

Thanks,  Unfortunately that is a reality but I will post advertising in the forum and of course there aren't any of those types lurking around here (lol).

Thanks again

See ya at the store when it opens    ;)

rexterd

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2008, 08:28:25 am »
I agree with world wide shipping option... we are waiting for the linuxmcestore to open soon.

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2008, 09:18:30 am »
Hi,

you'll basically have two types of customers. You'll probably sell not much to those that are capable to buy and search for goods by themselves. But you'll probably sell to those that would like prebuilt boxes...

If I know they are compatible, well tested and well put together, I wouldn't mind to throw few extra bucks for it.

regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

nosilla99

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2008, 10:24:28 am »
To be honest I like the thrill of trying to get a bargain so probably fit into the freeloader category  ;D

But given the number of posts here asking about compatible hardware and specs there is probably a niche for selling "certified" kit, if your not in it to make a fortune and don't expect to make a living from it then you have nothing to lose and everything to gain (apart from your spare time of course)

There is certainly a market for pre-built kit, but buying power is the key

Good luck hope its works out well for you

NOS

tkmedia

• View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2008, 11:43:03 pm »
Thanks

maybe if I sell at a loss, I make up for it in volume ......         

lol

reidfo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2008, 05:11:24 pm »
I for one would be happy to shop at a store that has done the hard work for me. That is, finding compatible hardware and putting it altogether in one place. I also don't mind paying more for that service. I am as much a geek as anybody, but I find I often get frustrated combing through forums and scouring the net trying to find parts that work well together. Many times I am disappointed with the results. Being able to buy hardware that I'm reasonably certain will play nicely together is worth more than the 5-10% or so I might save buying it somewhere else.

tkmedia

• View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2008, 06:31:08 pm »
I for one would be happy to shop at a store that has done the hard work for me. That is, finding compatible hardware and putting it altogether in one place. I also don't mind paying more for that service. I am as much a geek as anybody, but I find I often get frustrated combing through forums and scouring the net trying to find parts that work well together. Many times I am disappointed with the results. Being able to buy hardware that I'm reasonably certain will play nicely together is worth more than the 5-10% or so I might save buying it somewhere else.

I am hoping you are not the only one.

anything special you would like to see sold here.

cmittle

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2008, 10:17:25 pm »
I am also building a new house and would like to put together something as a project over next winter.  I think what would interest me the most is one of two things (depending on if I have any "extra" computers when I start);
1.  The stuff typically required to convert my average ~2 year old desktop computer to a linuxmce capable machine (capture card, remote, specific video cards...) or
2.  Kind of a barebones DIY kit with a cost efficient and reliable processor, motherboard, capture card, remote, etc (minus hard disk and case, people may want various sizes/colors etc, maybe they could find what they'd like from another area in your store!).  This kit would be marginally above the "minimum" requirements so it functions reliably, but doesn't have to be able to do everything at once.  I can build it and install the software I just don't want to spend hours and hours researching and testing/failing different models of products.  If you assure me that I can open the box, put it together, and install and be ready to go that afternoon, I'd pay a premium.

Cory

jtgamble

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2008, 04:23:35 am »
I think Cmittle hit it on the nose.

I'd really like to see a place where I can buy a pre-selected set of hardware that is known to work WELL with MCE. Having different levels of performance would be nice as well i.e. A) does single recording stream B) 2x recordings C) 2x recordings plus watch at the same time D) HD content - etc.

I think there are a number of us out there who could do everything ourselves, but would either rather spend time elsewhere or simply don't have the time to devote to all the research.

ferrariman610

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2008, 03:59:23 am »
I think a store is a wonderful idea!!!  Even an UPDATED list of compatible

I think a 'starter kit' is also a good idea, but I think that selling pre-made packages would not be a good idea.  I think letting people build the systems themselves would be more 'in the spirit' of Linux.....(that's the best way that I could put my idea in words).

And why not just put a link to the store on linuxmce.com?   ???

::)

Kernellinux

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2008, 08:18:11 am »

I 100% agree with this. I'm no dummy when it comes to linux, but I work as a network technician. All I do all day is fix linux systems. About the last thing I want to do when I get home is start fighting hardware and compiling stuff just to watch TV on my plasma. It's fun to have projects and play with stuff, but sometimes you just want things to work. Things that my family has to use, I don't want them to have to fight. I would spend extra money for a pre-built kit.

ytuxedo002

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2008, 09:31:38 pm »
Any update on the store? 

mduno

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2008, 03:01:23 am »
I too am curious about the store status.  Hopefully this is still in the works.