Author Topic: linuxmcestore comming soon. Now Open  (Read 88107 times)

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
Re: linuxmcestore comming soon.
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2009, 10:55:11 pm »
lol, you are selling software and don't even know about the license?

brave man you are,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

guliaka

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2009, 10:58:14 pm »
OK, I got the picture, thank you.

I guess I'll have to wait till current crisis will clear up a field. Because craigslist is full of offerings....
Everything genius is simple!! If it is not simple then it is not genius.

guliaka

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2009, 11:03:49 pm »
lol, you are selling software and don't even know about the license?

brave man you are,
Hari

I'm really sorry, but I'm not selling software. My goal is to help people who is not technically savvy to enjoy the benefits LinuxMCE, absolutely terrific open source package, can offer.
Everything genius is simple!! If it is not simple then it is not genius.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2009, 11:08:12 pm »
how do you want to support your offering without even knowing the license of the bits it is composed off? We use tons of different software products/packages.

Please don't get me/us wrong, we are not against people doing business around LinuxMCE. But you should:

1.) be well prepared to be able to service your customers well and don't leave them with a "negative LinuxMCE taste" over bad support
2.) obey rules (licenses, trademarks, copyright)
3.) work together with the community
4.) don't believe you can make a quick buck and leave the community "fix" your installations and customers

best regards,
Hari

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2009, 11:10:04 pm »
we can also make a "virtual shopping mall" pointing to the shops on shop.linuxmce.org or something like that. I'd prefer that over random *.abclinuxmcexyz.* domain names popping up like mushrooms. To be discussed.

br, Hari

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2009, 11:11:52 pm »
Quote from wiki: "The following images are considered official logos for the LinuxMCE project, and are placed here for use by project contributors, members of the press, and vendors wishing to show compatibility with our system."

Thank you for pointing out that oversight, it has been fixed.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2009, 11:26:15 pm »
Short version - when you provide hardware for LMCE, even if you only provide the DVD and instructions on how to install it, but especially when you actually install it as a packaged system - you are selling a licensed, commercial product. Thus you have to purchase a licence for each installation from Pluto, the company that created LMCE originally. Otherwise you are breaking the licence, and with it, the law.

Pluto created a product called PlutoHome - this was a closed source, commercial product. Subsequently, they decided to open source it and share development with a growing community - this became what is known as LMCE. There have been many stages since, but fundamentally, LMCE is at least partly licensed under the PPL as well as a GPL. The PPL placed restrictions on use of the product so that the community/public could use the product freely (in both senses), but that their competitors couldn't just lift their technology and resell it for free and put them out of business.

This isn't really just an inconvenient, unintended after effect of the licensing - in a small way, what you are talking about is becoming a competitor to Pluto by setting up to distribute systems to the public that compete with their solution. They don't mind if you lift the technology and use it personally as much as you like. Its when you start distributing that they have a legitimate concern! Take a look as Fiire, Micasaverde and Convergent Home Technologies - they all have licences to do this, moreover as Hari pointed out, CHT in particular not only offer a complete, supported solution but also are some of the strongest contributors to the community. Any commerical approach to the product that was likely to impact its reputation in the pursuit of profit is very likely very unwelcome. Take a look at the threads about the problems Fiire suffered. I sincerely doubt that you could, currently, support the product as it requires an enormous amount of detailed and specific LMCE technical knowledge.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2009, 11:32:19 pm »
we can also make a "virtual shopping mall" pointing to the shops on shop.linuxmce.org or something like that. I'd prefer that over random *.abclinuxmcexyz.* domain names popping up like mushrooms. To be discussed.

br, Hari

Probably better to use linuxmce.com for that.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2009, 11:36:36 pm »
yeah, right :-)

eatmeimadanish

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2009, 11:59:03 pm »
I just called Pluto Home and some guy just answered the phone with "Hello."  No company name or anything, then he sent me a huge document with the pricing at the end (in a completely different font), 50 bucks for Core, and 20 for each MD. In the end not that bad, still significantly cheaper than anything else with the same features.  However, I seriously doubt this company will ever offer a drop of support.  Especially if Aaron is using his home phone number as his company number...

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2009, 12:46:13 am »
Welcome to the realities of the economy.

-Thom

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2009, 01:07:15 am »
I just called Pluto Home and some guy just answered the phone with "Hello."  No company name or anything, then he sent me a huge document with the pricing at the end (in a completely different font), 50 bucks for Core, and 20 for each MD. In the end not that bad, still significantly cheaper than anything else with the same features.  However, I seriously doubt this company will ever offer a drop of support.  Especially if Aaron is using his home phone number as his company number...

For $50/$20 for an eternal licence, I wouldn't expect them to provide any support :) it is a licence not a support agreement, after all!

ivanp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2009, 04:43:46 pm »

Would You care to share that document with all of us? I think that would interest a lot of people here, including myself.

eatmeimadanish

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2009, 10:08:40 pm »
Sure thing boss. It would be nice if Pluto changed its site to reflect its change of business and offer licensing straight from his site. 

eatmeimadanish

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2009, 10:11:30 pm »
P.S.  50 bucks is alot for free community driven software. Not that its not worth it, but still.