Author Topic: USB-to-serial cable won't work  (Read 2701 times)

Bazeman

• View Profile
USB-to-serial cable won't work
« on: January 03, 2008, 12:36:53 am »
Hi,

I'm trying to connect my receiver and TV through a USB-to-Serial cable, but it won't work. I have a MediaLive motherboard now without RS232 ports on it. On the old LinuxMCE system when I connected the TV to serial port LinuxMCE would immediatly recognise the connected device. But now with the USB-to-Serial cable it won't do anything. I have checked if Kubuntu installed the device and it is installed under ttyUSB0, so it should be working fine.

How can I see or change the Com port settings for this device so it will work with the connected devices????

JimmyGosling

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: USB-to-serial cable won't work
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 04:36:24 pm »
Does it have a device number in LinuxMCE? If so, it would be helpful to post a snippet of the follow logs
"tail -f /var/log/pluto/<device id and name>.log" or if the admin has it available, just cut and paste if from there.

The reason I mention this is that I've been having problems with my usb-to-serial cable as well and this seemed to give me something to start with at least.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 04:37:59 pm by JimmyGosling »

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: USB-to-serial cable won't work
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 05:12:13 pm »
First not all usb serial adapters are identical or properly supported in Linux. The Radio Shack one is and the cheap ones ($15) from Fry's are. But that doesn't guarantee that all others will be.

Second, serial ports on TV where they exist are not even remotely standardized. You may need null modem cables and gender changers to get them to work.

Since you had it working before the issue may be something else. Tailing the system log when you plug the adaper in should give you a clue as to it being recognized and as what. It should be  ttyUSBX with X being a number, most likely 0. but something else may be grabbing it.