Author Topic: Setting up Siemens Gigaset IP  (Read 2921 times)

Domodude

Setting up Siemens Gigaset IP
« on: January 02, 2008, 05:13:11 pm »
Hi,

Does anyone have exprerience setting up a Siemens Gigaset VOIP phone, e.g. an S450 or C470?
I would like it to be controlled by LinuxMCE, instead of it being a standalone VOIP system.

Thanks,

Mark

Domodude

Re: Setting up Siemens Gigaset IP
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 02:16:07 pm »
Bump...

Does anyone know how to set up a Gigaset 450IP or 470IP with Asterisk under LinuxMCE / FreePBX?

It's been documented for vanilla Asterisk, but not for FreePBX.

Cheers
Mark

Hi,

Does anyone have exprerience setting up a Siemens Gigaset VOIP phone, e.g. an S450 or C470?
I would like it to be controlled by LinuxMCE, instead of it being a standalone VOIP system.

Thanks,

Mark

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 03:13:50 pm »
use the Generic SIP phone device template... and configure the phone with these parameters:

host: 192.168.80.1
user: extension #
secret: extension #

That's basically it.

-Thom

Domodude

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 09:48:49 pm »
Thanks Thom, I'll try that.

When I connected the phone, LinuxMCE suggested that it was a Cisco7970! Sure enough, in the asterisk config files I can now see 2 ciscos, of which only one works  ;)

I'll let you know how I fare.

Pastor

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 09:46:45 am »
Hi Thom/Domodude

I have a Siemens Gigaset as well, so once I connect the phone it should be detected possibly as a Cisco phone? What do I do next to get it installed in Linux MCE.

use the Generic SIP phone device template... and configure the phone with these parameters:

host: 192.168.80.1
user: extension #
secret: extension #

That's basically it.

-Thom

When you mention "host 192.168.80.1" will changing the host not effect my providers settings? Sorry for being such a newbie! I have the phone setup with my provider and VOIP works fine directy through the phone.

Once the phone is setup how do I use it via LinuxMCE? Hopefully not too dumb a question?

Thanks Domodude sorry for jumping onto your thread.

Paul

Domodude

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 03:42:19 pm »
Hi Thom/Domodude

I have a Siemens Gigaset as well, so once I connect the phone it should be detected possibly as a Cisco phone? What do I do next to get it installed in Linux MCE.

Yes, but you could always choose to not accept the proposal by LMCE: you just click "no" when the orbiter message pops up.
I accepted it, however, and to get the phone to work afterwards you need to do a few things:
  • 1. Go to the phones web pages, manually add a new phone with template "SIP softphone", and give it a unique PhoneNumber (e.g., 222). Fill in the IP address and MAC address of your gigaset. Click on Update.
  • 2. Delete the Cisco phone that LMCE had made. Remember the PhoneNumber!
  • 3. Important! Delete all information in /etc/asterisk/sccp.conf that pertains to that Cisco phone, because otherwise asterisk will not properly register your SIP phone.
  • 4. Make sure that you follow Tschak's instructions on login/password when you enter the settings for the phone. Fill in 192.168.80.1 for each spot where you can (including proxy!), but set STUN to "no".
  • 5. Save settings on the phone, reset the DCERouter, and I guess it will not hurt to do a sudo /etc/init.d/asterisk restart. This way, asterisk reloads the sccp.conf that you just corrected.
Good luck

Mark

Pastor

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 09:36:50 am »
Hi Mark

Thanks for the excellent instructions and for taking the time to document them. I will try them out this evening.

Paul

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 12:31:56 am »
Hi,

how is the Gigaset then usable together with LinuxMCE ?

What can I do from the Orbiter/Media Director and what from the phone ?

Maybe I am asking stupid questions. But I am not into PBX and Asterisk at the moment. Where can I read something about how Asterisk is implemented in LinuxMCE ?

Greetings
Viking

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 12:19:17 pm »
Hi,

how is the Gigaset then usable together with LinuxMCE ?

What can I do from the Orbiter/Media Director and what from the phone ?

Maybe I am asking stupid questions. But I am not into PBX and Asterisk at the moment. Where can I read something about how Asterisk is implemented in LinuxMCE ?

Greetings
Viking

The Gigaset is a DECT based phone/base station. It will handle a single POTS line and an IP connection to a remoter VOIP provider or your LinuxMCE Core's Asterisk installation. The beauty of the Gigaset is that the base station will allow upto 6 Gigaset handsets to concurrently make outbound and receive inbound calls via your Core's Asterisk installation (assuming you have the WAN side bandwidth of course ;-)  )

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
Convergent Home Technologies Ltd
United Kingdom
@herron

Dianemo S Now Shipping on Ubuntu 12.04LTS
Build your system on the latest Ubuntu LTS OS Release!

Get a Dianemo S License: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=8880.0
iOS Orbiter: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Dianemo_iOS_Orbiter
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

Sales & Info:
http://www.dianemo.co.uk

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 11:09:06 pm »
Hallo Andrew,

OK, thanks for the info :)
I am probably getting an 10/10 Mbit line as I have Fibercable in the house and the company pays. (But it only costs 57€ / month) So bandwidth should be there. But are there any Latency problems with VOIP ? I newer tried it myself, just head from the ones having trouble with bad audio because of latency and maybe other problems.

According to the infos on the 470IP it can make 2 VOIP calls and 1 POTS (not yet had time to find out what POST means but assume land-line) calls concurrently.

But what is the advantage of having the 470IP connected to Asterisk. That the sound volume is lowered when a call comes in ? I don't see any other advantage in this ...

Greetings
Viking

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 11:15:42 pm »
Hi again,

I think I found the answer to my Question in this thread :
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=7102.0

here is a list of thing you can do from the first post
    * Forwarding calls depending on status (Asleep, away, at home, etc..)
    * Priority caller features
    * Integration with security system (call neighbors, your cell phone, police, fire dept. on different security events)
    * Answering Machine features / mailbox features
    * Dialing from orbiters (phone book, speed dial etc)
    * Recording and archiving of conversations
    * Hold features and on hold music
    * pausing media upon receiving a phone call

well some of them probably don't count because we could do that anyway if we use an VOIP provider.

Greetings
Viking
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 11:18:10 pm by Viking »

Lexje

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 10:23:52 pm »

The Gigaset is a DECT based phone/base station. It will handle a single POTS line and an IP connection to a remoter VOIP provider or your LinuxMCE Core's Asterisk installation. The beauty of the Gigaset is that the base station will allow upto 6 Gigaset handsets to concurrently make outbound and receive inbound calls via your Core's Asterisk installation (assuming you have the WAN side bandwidth of course ;-)  )

All the best

Andrew
[/quote]

Andrew, do you know of a way to have each of your fore mentioned 6 handsets to be recognized as a single extension within LMCE? (or the 2 handsets that come with the initial package if I'm not mistaken...)
Thanks for your input,

Greetings,

Erwin

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 10:48:14 pm »

All the best

Andrew

Andrew, do you know of a way to have each of your fore mentioned 6 handsets to be recognized as a single extension within LinuxMCE? (or the 2 handsets that come with the initial package if I'm not mistaken...)
Thanks for your input,

Greetings,

Erwin

Yes that is exactly how we configure Gigasets - each has its own extension No. I will have Win, one of my colleagues, write up a brief Wiki article on doing this and either he or I will post back here when that's done.

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
Convergent Home Technologies Ltd
United Kingdom
@herron

Dianemo S Now Shipping on Ubuntu 12.04LTS
Build your system on the latest Ubuntu LTS OS Release!

Get a Dianemo S License: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=8880.0
iOS Orbiter: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Dianemo_iOS_Orbiter
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

Sales & Info:
http://www.dianemo.co.uk

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 10:52:24 pm »
Andrew, can these phones be sent automatic provisioning data, i.e. via a config file? If so, let's work on a proper device template to make these little buggers PNP. ;)

-Thom

Lexje

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 12:29:37 am »
Andrew,

Thanks for your info; I got them configured exactly that way, working just beautifully.

Thom,

Yes they can use automatic provisioning data.
I've quickly glanced through the manual of the C470IP however this does not detail about the format of this information. I'll see if I can find anything more clarifying.

For those interested: here's a lengthy thread where zforum69 sheds a lot of light on some of the obscure matter about Gigaset...http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/927308.html
At least this is where I got the info to get all my handsets working :-)

I would also be interested in linking through the phone/address book - LDAP would be perfect of course...

Erwin