Author Topic: Planning ahead...  (Read 25149 times)

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Planning ahead...
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2008, 01:48:03 pm »
Hi.

from everything I'm reading the only way to interface the pci tuners is to have them emulate the id/cam/smartcard  of the valid receiver you have and supposedly this is quazi-legal due to it being non-authorized hardware. Since you seem to have experience how stable is the video from this?
Honestly I'm a total newb when it comes to satellite television and it's inclusion in a htpc system...so to me there is a steep learning curve. You mind pm'ing me your email so I can chat with you off-forum?

I have some experience about this.
In sweden the main system is based around DVB-T (we have no analog TV anymore) with about 4-5 million subscribers.
We must pay according to our law to be able to access freeview (only 3 channels an 4 radio channels) the rest have to be payed for using a subscription scheme.
On the other hand there is DVB-S, tv1000 & canal digital that can be used also.

I use DVB-T with one original card put into my Dreambox (a german linux based reciever for DVB-T/S/C).
The main features of this reciever is that it decode pay channels, can record to a CIFS/NFS share, local harddrive etc.
The main advantage this box have is that it is possible to share the smartcard to other recievers or linux/win based machines over tcp/ip.

My solution is built around LMCE and sasc-ng. Sasc-ng can connect to my dreambox using newcamd and then decode DVT-T streams.
Sasc-ng create a virtual tuner that VDR or MythTV is configured to use.
This mean that myth or vdr does not know anything about the encrypted channels(they see channels as unencrypted) and do not need any special patching and so on to work.
At the moment I cannot get mythtv to work stable in LMCE. Probably because the of remote command solution (commands sent through sockets) implemented in LMCE to control mythtv. My hope is for VDR at the moment.

/niz23

ddamron

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2008, 02:21:08 pm »
in NA, there are patches to get MythTV working with DVB-S.  It requires recompiling Mythtv from scratch...
http://dvbn.happysat.org is going to be your best friend.

The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.

sk1

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2008, 04:31:14 am »
in NA, there are patches to get MythTV working with DVB-S.  It requires recompiling Mythtv from scratch...
http://dvbn.happysat.org is going to be your best friend.

Since you can do what you say above, would it be beneficial to just have a dedicated Myth box on the network, whose only job is to decode and record DVB-S?  Send all the recordings to the network share and configure the core to look at the myth box when a MD requests live TV.  That way when trouble shooting the core you wouldn't have to worry about a hack Myth.

Pardon me if this has already been asked, and I may remember reading that someone had their system set up like this, but searching MythTV comes up with just a couple of posts...

Skip