Author Topic: Video disappears after booting, no UI displayed  (Read 2656 times)

nils

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Video disappears after booting, no UI displayed
« on: December 31, 2007, 03:58:55 am »
Hi,

I managed to install LinuxMCE via the 2CD package. I first had the problem that it didn't select the right driver for my video card (installed over plain ubuntu 7.04), so I installed it manually via the ATI packages and prevented changes to the file by usign chattr (the system kept revoking my changes, vesa doesn't really make sense).

Now when I boot, I can see the Video with the instructions for 2 seconds, then it disappears. I can still hear the sound ("When you can see and hear me, use the arrow buttons"), but there is only a mouse cursor on the screen, nothing else.

ddamron

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
Re: Video disappears after booting, no UI displayed
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 05:23:52 am »
did you install over Ubuntu or Kubuntu?
The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.

RichardP

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 07:58:37 am »
Hi,

I managed to install LinuxMCE via the 2CD package. I first had the problem that it didn't select the right driver for my video card (installed over plain ubuntu 7.04), so I installed it manually via the ATI packages and prevented changes to the file by usign chattr (the system kept revoking my changes, vesa doesn't really make sense).

Now when I boot, I can see the Video with the instructions for 2 seconds, then it disappears. I can still hear the sound ("When you can see and hear me, use the arrow buttons"), but there is only a mouse cursor on the screen, nothing else.

I had a similar problem. I'm using an NVidia card connected to a standard TV via SVideo. I had to change Option "TVStandard" from "CRT" to "TV" in xorg.conf.
Best Regards,
Richard

nils

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 03:44:40 pm »
Oh sorry, installed over Kubuntu of course.