Author Topic: Basic Installation of LinuxMCE 704 DVD with NVidia and Beamer  (Read 2351 times)

filosofus

• First post!
    • View Profile
Basic Installation of LinuxMCE 704 DVD with NVidia and Beamer
« on: December 30, 2007, 07:33:33 pm »
I have a very basic problem with installing the LinuxMCE 704 quick install DVD on my computer: When booting the DVD, I get the start menu, I see the Kubuntu boot screen with moving bar, and then I get a blank picture. I guess this would be the time when X11 or a LinuxMCE specific setup screen starts. I am trying to install on a system with NVidia GeForce 5200 FX and a Panasonic PT-AE900E beamer, and I suspect that the beamer cannot deal with the resolution chosen by default. Does anyone know this problem? Is there a way to choose a different resolution at start-up?

I was able to install Kubuntu 710 without problems from the LiveDVD. However, also the Grub screen seems to have problems with my resolution. I installed lilo instead which does display.

LinuxMCE for Kubuntu710 should have been released in November. What happened to this release? I am now downloading Kubuntu 704 and will try to install the LinuxMCE CDs.

When browsing through the other threads, I have seen that setting up the Hauppage PVR-500 MCE is not trivial. Is there a good thread which shows me how to do this?

Thanks a lot for your help, Filosofus.