Author Topic: Fiire Chief  (Read 42094 times)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Fiire Chief
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2008, 09:42:26 pm »
I don't mind either way.  If you would like to send me your postal address I can send the bags to you early this week.

Thanks

Justin

OK, fine with that - I'll PM you my postal address for the bags (does anyone know what size the boxes are? would just like to be sure they'll fit!) But you should probably wait until mortar has final numbers.

Mortar - I have sent you my postal address, so do you want to ask them for bulk posting prices to that instead and recalculate?

mortar

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2008, 12:27:15 am »
I'm happy to proceed ASAP, as i've just hooked LinuxMCE up to my projector and it looks sweet, although I don't seem to have a way to pause and play movies with a keyboard/mouse?

I asked Fiire for a re-quote to your address with 5 Remotes and 7 Additional Dongles total (I'm now after 2 remotes and 3 additional dongles) so I'll let you know as soon as I receive that!

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2008, 03:39:22 am »
Hi,

I am interested as well. What sort of money would I be looking at for 2 remotes + 2 extra receivers?

I guess you will want to keep your order under $1000 AUD though because of customs duties.

Regards
Darren

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2008, 03:45:20 am »
On that subject, shouldn't Fiire be quoting us ex tax?

mortar

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2008, 01:31:37 am »
Hi,

I guess you will want to keep your order under $1000 AUD though because of customs duties.

Regards
Darren

Mmmm.. that puts an interesting dampener on the whole ordeal, I hadn't though of customs tax.

mortar

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2008, 01:32:08 am »
On that subject, shouldn't Fiire be quoting us ex tax?

According to the google checkout system it is exclusive of tax.

mortar

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2008, 01:36:59 am »
Hi Mortar,

Count me in. 

I have emailed the Brisbane company to find out how much they can supply the units for if 5 or more are purchased and how long it will take for delivery.  Hopefully I will get a response on Monday.

If you do decide to get them direct from Fiire I can send you 3 or 4 express post bags to get them around the country.  That will save a few dollars.

Justin

Hi Justin, just wondering if you were after an additional dongle or not...

mortar

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2008, 02:04:01 am »
Ok, so after a quick call to our customs friends that want to make our life difficult, I've come to these conclusions to keep the receipted goods below $1000AU not inc Freight.

Here are the 5 people that have expressed interest for a remote: mortar, RichardP, colinjones, jo006, darrenmason.

We can order 5 Remotes + 4 Additional Dongles which is approx $983AU.
Meaning: Everyone interested gets 1 remote, and 1 person misses out on an additional dongle.
This will cost each person 233.50AU and $199.50 to the person that doesn't get the dongle.  This price includes roughly $30AU in freight, which saves around $50 per person which still makes this whole thing worth while (not including interstate freight if Justin charges for the bags).

OR

Going with our original order.

We can order 4 Remotes + Max of 9 Additional Dongles which is approx $984AU.
Which means that someone misses out on a remote. The price will vary slightly but won't be much different to what's above, depending on how many dongles everyone gets.

Darren, if you want to get in on the deal and you're happy with 1 remote and 1 additional dongle, i'm happy to cut down my order and just order one remote with no additional dongle.

Phheww.. What does everyone think?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2008, 02:13:21 am »
I think mine was the smallest order, so if I get the 1 remote and 1 extra dongle I'm happy to go with that...

jo006

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2008, 04:29:08 am »
I am happy with just the remote without the extra dongle.

mortar

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2008, 04:33:43 am »
Ok so 3 of us good to go!
RichardP: there's still provision for you to get 2 extra dongles if you like, so just waiting on Darren..

RichardP

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2008, 07:00:10 am »
Ok so 3 of us good to go!
RichardP: there's still provision for you to get 2 extra dongles if you like, so just waiting on Darren..

Great - I'd like to do that if I can. However, maybe we can all get everything. I've just been digging around the Customs webite (http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4273) and have just gotten off the phone with customs. Computer parts are 0% duty. Entertainment is 5%. So - if we successfully argue that the remotes are computer parts (and TV's can't have USB dongles plugged into them) then we don't pay any duty, even if it is over $1000. If we get some young Customs Inspector out to prove himself, and he says these are TV remotes, at worst we pay 5% duty.

The other thing is GST. Putting 5 remotes into a single package is going to result in the package being inspected no matter what we do. That means we will have to pay the GST even if the package is less than $1000.

I figure we ask Fiire (or Polywell) to ensure the invoice says "For use on Intel Computers" or some such, and just go for it.

What do you think?

Best Regards,
Richard.

Best Regards,
Richard

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2008, 07:04:16 am »
Yep, I'm in. I would like the extra dongle but seeing as though I was last- if everyone else wants one then I will be happy with that.

If we are shipping to Sydney (Colin?) then I may be able to pickup from him direct which could reduce everyones cost.

Just let me know who to liase directly with re; money and addresses if necessary

regards
Darren

mortar

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2008, 07:22:56 am »

Great - I'd like to do that if I can. However, maybe we can all get everything. I've just been digging around the Customs webite (http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4273) and have just gotten off the phone with customs. Computer parts are 0% duty. Entertainment is 5%. So - if we successfully argue that the remotes are computer parts (and TV's can't have USB dongles plugged into them) then we don't pay any duty, even if it is over $1000. If we get some young Customs Inspector out to prove himself, and he says these are TV remotes, at worst we pay 5% duty.

The other thing is GST. Putting 5 remotes into a single package is going to result in the package being inspected no matter what we do. That means we will have to pay the GST even if the package is less than $1000.

I figure we ask Fiire (or Polywell) to ensure the invoice says "For use on Intel Computers" or some such, and just go for it.

What do you think?

Best Regards,
Richard.

Sorry I don't think that's right.. That's in direct contradiction of what I was told when I contacted them and also what is on their page here: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=5549

Purchases under $1000 (apart from tobacco and liquor) do not attract GST or taxes,   Every purchase over $1000 will attract Customs Duty and GST on the amount calculated after the freight charge.  Even if the customs duty is 0% (which I doubt but I can't find anything specific about the 0% or 5% you mentioned in relation to Computer Parts) and If we pay $100 more then we have to (for the GST component), we're back where we started so we may as well do another separate purchase ;)

EDIT: Not to mention that we have to fill out a formal customs declaration, which is just plain annoying ;)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 07:36:05 am by mortar »

mortar

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2008, 07:35:14 am »
Ok so just waiting on final confirmation on the order with fiire.com, and to make sure that I can pay it if it's being sent to someone else.

If it's all good, the prices should be as I quoted above and not much different although Richard will pay $30US extra for his additional dongle, jo006 and I will have no additional dongles, and darren and colin will have one each.

If all goes well, i'll grab some more remotes and dongles, and we'll organise another group buy for whoever is interested.