Author Topic: Brazil HDTV capture cards  (Read 2834 times)

joaog_araujo

• First post!
    • View Profile
Brazil HDTV capture cards
« on: March 11, 2008, 02:10:17 pm »
Hi there!
Being as it may, I know this forum will definatelly be populate with those who do use American HDTV standart.
Nonetheless being a brasilian guy, who would like to assemble a Linux MCE, I may ask the present members of this forum...

Would you happen to know whether there is a specific HDTV capture card for the brasilian HDTV signal?
I've been browsing MCE Wiki, but it appears it only lists NTSC/HDTV cards, there is, the american standart.

I do know that our HDTV is a mix of the japanese HDTV with some national services development and adjustments.

If I buy an american card I may not be able to decode our signal at all. So this choice is really critical to me. Besides, even if there could be a card to decode Brazil-HDTV it may also not work under linux MCE...

Hence my questioning...

Thanks to all!

danielk

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Brazil HDTV capture cards
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 11:46:16 pm »
Brazil is using ISDB, the Japanese HDTV standard. You will need Japanese capture cards.

This is the only card I know about:
   http://www.computermodules.com/broadcast/ISDBT-Modulators.shtml

They have a little Tux icon on their webpage, so I assume they have Linux DVB drivers. However they also don't list a price and don't appear to sell this card in Brazil... Also I don't know of anyone that has used this card with MythTV or VDR, the two DVR applications that LinuxMCE 710 beta 4 supports. Theoretically the data coming from the card is plain old MPEG-2, but these applications may require some tweaking to the tuning code before they will work with this card.

PS I know of no ISDB-S or ISDB-C cards, but they may exist and I'm just not aware of them.