Author Topic: Will this setup work?  (Read 2334 times)

Beowulfe

• First post!
    • View Profile
Will this setup work?
« on: December 26, 2007, 09:41:48 pm »
I have a server which I plan on making my core.
Quad Xeon 2ghz with 6gb RAM
I haven't decided on the video cards but I would like to two HD capture and two standard video with ability to play out at same time.  So would this system be able to handle that?

The next question is about network, I would like to use wireless, most likely N.  Has anybody had any problems watching HD shows over wireless?

My setup is that I have the server in a rack in the basement and then would have each MD by a TV.  I do not want to have to run network cable all over the house.

Clint

MarcoZan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Will this setup work?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 10:10:44 am »
Hi Beowulfe

Your core seems to be more than adeguate, as long as all of your capturing hardware is well supported in Kubuntu.

I think you may get into some troubles with wireless.

All MDs boot off network, and so far I never heard any success story about a MD PXE booting over a wireless connection.

If your concern is about re-running cables all over the house, a good alternative could be using power lines.
There are many nice and not so expensive adaptors that you plug into ac mains and on the other side offers a RJ45 socket. I remember well there are some devices that can offer 200 MBps.

I've seen those devices on internet some times ago and I think I mentioned them in another post of this forum.

I think that googling around you may find a lot of useful pointers.

HTH
Marco