Author Topic: How can I implement automatic light detection/configuration procedure-like Zwave  (Read 5848 times)

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
Hi,

when you install lmce, you get to lighting section and if you have ZWave for instance, there is automatic procedure for determining proper location for all autodetected light modules...

I wonder about internals of that procedure... How is it implemented ? Is it "external" implementation or is standard procedure that you can use also from other automation devices ?

Anyone with more insight into this ?

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

ddamron

• Alumni
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
Bulek,

I'm working on that as we speak.
Originally, I thought it was simply a matter of firing a Report Child Devices event..
That, however, did not start the 'wizard'..

After further research, I found a wiki page titled "Plug&Play"

Seems to be laid out nicely there...

HTH

Dan
The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.

ddamron

• Alumni
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
Well, sort of...
I still think I'm on the right track here... but it's not as simple as I thought.

I am getting the wizard started, but it only starts the wiz on the core, not all md's

Also, trying to 'set' devicedata as the wiki suggests doesn't seem to work...

I'm banging my head against it.. been hammering all day...

Will keep you posted...
Regards,

Dan

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Well, sort of...
I still think I'm on the right track here... but it's not as simple as I thought.

I am getting the wizard started, but it only starts the wiz on the core, not all md's

Also, trying to 'set' devicedata as the wiki suggests doesn't seem to work...

I'm banging my head against it.. been hammering all day...

Will keep you posted...
Regards,

Dan

Dan,

The lighting Wizard always runs on the Core... or probably more precisely it runs on the machine that has the z-wave/insteaon interface attached. At the moment as far as I know the lighting Wizard is very tightly coupled to Z-wave and also specifically 'lighting' eg if you have for example a z-wave PIR it does not configure that. I was working with Eugen at Pluto (the original Dev who was responsible for the Z-wave) to make the Lighting Wizard become the 'Z-wave Wizard' so that it would be able to configure/manage all types of Z-wave devices. Now a logical extrapolation of that would be to say that the 'Lighting Wizard' should really become the 'Home Control Wizard' (Hmmm... maybe we need a nicer name for it ;-)  ). The HC Wizard would be triggered once a control interface was detected eg z-wave/insteon etc etc etc and then would proceed to assist the user in configuring all of the supported devices for that interface.. The Lighting Wizard actually works very well as a model for how to do setup/congig in the real world... I have done literally 100's of z-wave install/setups with it now and with it I can do a setup for say 10 devices in about 10 mins. Previously without the Wizard it took me about 90 mins for the same number of devices! (and making adjustments/changes later was a total pain in the !%se)
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

ddamron

• Alumni
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
Thanks HUGE Andrew!

That explains a LOT.

I'll take another stab at that once I've 'calmed' down to rationalize it again..

(It's 2:30 AM right now) Tomorrow, I want to attack the last 2 items on my 'todo' list...