Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 2938 times)

trec-r

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
A few questions
« on: December 26, 2007, 06:09:34 am »
Hello Everyone

I have been doing a lot of reading about LMCE and have a few questions that google was not able to help me answer.

1. What are the minimum requirements to run LMCE.  It seems that Myth will not work properly with out an nVidia 6000 or better gpu.  What other hardware should I watch out for?

2. Is there a way to cluster servers if you have a really big installation?  I am thinking enterprise level. (Not the spaceship)

3. Has anyone used basic stamp with LMCE to create custom automated devices?

4. Has anyone worked on voice activation with LMCE?

5. Has anyone tried making a mobile Media Director using a wireless providers internet connection to create a vpn link to the server?  I am thinking of doing something like this for my car, so I can take my tunes wherever I go and the kids can watch moves in the back seat.

I look forward to the responses.

Richie

ddamron

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 06:20:10 am »
Hello Everyone

I have been doing a lot of reading about LMCE and have a few questions that google was not able to help me answer.

1. What are the minimum requirements to run LMCE.  It seems that Myth will not work properly with out an nVidia 6000 or better gpu.  What other hardware should I watch out for?

2. Is there a way to cluster servers if you have a really big installation?  I am thinking enterprise level. (Not the spaceship)

5. Has anyone tried making a mobile Media Director using a wireless providers internet connection to create a vpn link to the server?  I am thinking of doing something like this for my car, so I can take my tunes wherever I go and the kids can watch moves in the back seat.

Richie

Answer to your questions:
1.  Please read the wiki. (www.linuxmce.com)
2.  I'm sure you could, but I haven't tried...  90% of the system is standard components..mysql, asterisk, myth, apache, all are clusterable..
3.  Not that I know of, however, I am experimenting with 1-wire devices.. I guess it depends on what you want to do with your stamp...  I've used PIC controllers successfully.
4.  I'm not qualified to answer that... however, I suggest you refer to answer #1.

HTH

Dan
The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 06:21:19 am »
1. this is answered all over the wiki, but a good baseline is to use an nvidia 6200, with a Hauppauge WINTV PVR-150 and/or HDHomeRun tuner.

2. you can add media directors, and storage clusters all over the network, either attach the disks to the core, to a MD, or as a NAS device or file server that exposes SMB. There really isn't a reason for its original usage intention to have much more than that.

3. No, but you can either do new devices as either GSD devices scripted via Ruby, or as custom C++ DCE devices. The system is wide open.

4. Not yet, but very doable. I've done voice activation for custom situations, and the issues deal more with logistics than technical concerns.

5. Not yet, right now, this is very touchy, and it's not really possible to do this just yet. It's not so much LMCE's fault, than it is that a cost effective form of high speed wireless transmission for mobile devices isn't ubiquitously available.

-Thom

Hello Everyone

Richie