Author Topic: [solved] Computer keeps locking up during Kubuntu Install  (Read 3278 times)

jakeh25ad

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
[solved] Computer keeps locking up during Kubuntu Install
« on: December 29, 2007, 08:30:36 pm »
Ok, so here is the scenario.  I have Windows MCE 2005 running great on this setup, but I want to move to LinuxMCE.  I boot using the 7.04 Live CD and everytime about the third step in the install process my machine locks up and stops responding.  It is a good 7.04 Live CD b/c I installed Kubuntu on my laptop using to test it out.  Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Here is my setup:
ABIT NF-M2S Mobo
1 AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 4200+
2 GB OCZ DDR2-800 Platinum Rev 2. RAM
GeForce 8400 GS
2 Seagate Barracuda 80GB SATA drives
1 Sony DVD Drive - don't know the Model     

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks. 

« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 11:23:13 pm by jakeh25ad »

shawnsdl

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Re: Computer keeps locking up during Kubuntu Install
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 01:52:05 am »
Ok, so here is the scenario.  I have Windows MCE 2005 running great on this setup, but I want to move to LinuxMCE.  I boot using the 7.04 Live CD and everytime about the third step in the install process my machine locks up and stops responding.  It is a good 7.04 Live CD b/c I installed Kubuntu on my laptop using to test it out.  Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

I have exactly the same problem.  Originally, I thought it was hardware related - tried new memory, reseated motherboard/memory, tried new power supplies, drives etc.  Both the kubuntu live cd and automated dvd gave the same problem - hanging or random reboots.  Then I tried the kubuntu-7.04-desktop-amd64 version instead of kubuntu-7.04-desktop-i386 that is described throughout linuxmce website.  That seemed to get rid of the hanging and rebooting.  Unfortunately, from what ive read, linuxmce only works with the i386 version.

I have exactly the same CPU.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 02:13:26 am by shawnsdl »

shawnsdl

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Re: Computer keeps locking up during Kubuntu Install
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 03:15:21 am »
a further update - i seem to have fixed the hanging issue by doing two things.

1. i updated my bios (which may or may not have fixed the issue)
2. i found some information at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=435075 which seemed to sort out my problem.  i added the following bootup parameters : pci=nomsi irqpoll noapic acpi=off

jakeh25ad

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Re: [solved] Computer keeps locking up during Kubuntu Install
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 11:19:57 pm »
shawnsdl Thanks for the help.  It installed and is running Kubuntu with no problems after making the changes in the boot options.