Author Topic: What features do YOU want in an Insteon Interface Pt2  (Read 3275 times)

ddamron

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
What features do YOU want in an Insteon Interface Pt2
« on: December 24, 2007, 10:37:59 am »
The last thread was getting a bit long.. and the topic started to waiver a bit, so I'm starting a Pt2...

Ok, Spidering of the Insteon Network is implemented.
Automagically adding child devices and 'spidered' devices to the PLM
The driver knows when someone makes a new link in ANY device... it'll spider it again on next reload.
(This was accomplished by storing the Insteon ALL-Link Database Delta with the child)

I'm implementing the Report New Child tomorrow.

heh, coding on Christmas Eve... Happy Holidays!!

Dan

« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 10:51:38 pm by ddamron »
The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.

ddamron

• Alumni
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
Re: What features do YOU want in an Insteon Interface Pt2
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 11:21:47 am »
K, someone give me some Ideas here...
I want to make the Insteon Driver the coolest HA driver available for Linuxmce..

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 07:30:25 pm »
Can you support this?  http://www.smarthome.com/31270.html  LMCE is missing a decent irrigation control and this looks very promising. However the user interface side also needs to be worked out.

If I understand your discussion I should be able to install some Insteon devices add the link to the core and the setup should be "automatic". Do you need to set up the system prior to linking it to LMCE? How does LMCE know which device it which? In the ZWave implementation it flashed a light and you search for the flashing light. That doesn't work real well if you have 15 or more devices. Is there an option in Insteon to work around this problem?

PeteK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 08:00:06 pm »
Unlike Zwave devices, Insteon devices all have 3-byte permanently assigned addresses. If you track these numbers when you install, you will be able to assign nodes to rooms using that information.  The lighting wizard will flash the lights to allow you to verify lights you may have missed or written down incorrectly, so you should be covered.

ddamron

• Alumni
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 10:45:10 pm »
Can you support this?  http://www.smarthome.com/31270.html  LMCE is missing a decent irrigation control and this looks very promising. However the user interface side also needs to be worked out.

If I understand your discussion I should be able to install some Insteon devices add the link to the core and the setup should be "automatic". Do you need to set up the system prior to linking it to LMCE? How does LMCE know which device it which? In the ZWave implementation it flashed a light and you search for the flashing light. That doesn't work real well if you have 15 or more devices. Is there an option in Insteon to work around this problem?

I have one of those, and YES, It's supported!

The install question needs a bit of explanation:

Currently, you have to ADD at least ONE device as a child.  Use the device that has the most links..
You do NOT need to add links to the PLM
When the Driver starts up, it first takes all the insteon links of the Child Devices, and ensures they are in the PLM (it will add them if needed)
Then, it goes out and downloads the complete ALL-Link Database for all child devices currently installed.
Then, It sorts through all the Insteon Links in all the Child Devices, searching for new links.
When it finds a new link, it adds it (if needed) to the PLM , Figures out exactly WHAT kind of device it is,
and (will) report it to linuxMCE as a new child device.
Linuxmce Lighting (if it is a light) wizard takes it from there, with the blinking light to determine which room it is in.

Once all devices are set up, linuxmce needs to reload the router to load all the new devices...

And the whole thing starts again...

If you find this cumbersome, you can simply ADD the child devices MANUALLY.

:)
Dan

« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 10:56:12 pm by ddamron »