Author Topic: 0710 beta 2 available  (Read 111357 times)

enrique.lopez

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 0710 beta 2 available
« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2008, 03:31:05 pm »
2) Set up the image of CD1 Mandriva loopback in as root (explain):

(...)

3) Copy the kernel and initrd instructions from the directory alt0 in / boot:

Cd / mnt/iso/i586/isolinux/alt0
Zip all.rdz / boot / install.rdz
Vmlinuz cp / boot / install

4) Create a lilo by adding entry in the / etc / lilo.conf:

Those instructions work for installing Mandriva Linux. Kubuntu/LMCE does not have either an alt0/all.rdz/etc or use lilo (it uses grub instead).

Does anyone have actual instructions for installing 0710b2 from a DVD ISO file, that they've actually tested to work?

Failing that, can I just mount the ISO file as a loopback, delete the PlutoMD-[amd64,i386].tar.bz2 file that I'm not using, unmount the ISO file, and burn it to a single-layer DVD that's no longer too big to fit?
I'm no testing, just i ask in forum this possibility.
I not done mount ISO file as a loopback for delete plutoMD.
Thanks.

RichardP

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2008, 04:19:00 pm »
I've installed both 0704 and 0710Beta2, and I've not been able to get Myth working under LMCE. In both cases, it seems to be that Appserver does not start up.

I'm using Gigabyte Motherboard with Intel processor, NVidia 7300GT, Creative Audigy Value and Leadtek Winfast DTV1000T.

I can get Myth working under KDE, but not under LMCE, where I just get a black screen and eventually get told Myth is having a problem and do I want to reset the backend. It seems that all the hardware works - the problem is that Appserver (device #15) does not start up. When LMCE is starting, the log shows a timeout waiting for Appserver to be registered, and eventually I get a black screen saying not all devices started up.

I'd like to get to the bottom of this - any ideas where I can find some relevant logs to point me in the right direction? The Wiki is very sparse on info for Appserver.

Best Regards,
Richard.

Problem solved, courtesy of Hodge.
Turned out that Appserver needs a sound mixer device to work with, and my soundcard (Audigy Value) does not have one. Installation of a software mixer had my system up and running smoothly. Still don't have sound working (I had sound before installing the software mixer), but I don't see that as a problem - it's just a chance of configuring the software mixer properly, or putting in a soundcard with a hardware mixer.
Best Regards,
Richard

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 04, 2008, 05:08:37 pm »
Turned out that Appserver needs a sound mixer device to work with, and my soundcard (Audigy Value) does not have one. Installation of a software mixer had my system up and running smoothly. Still don't have sound working (I had sound before installing the software mixer)

Would you report that bug in Mantis? The installer should detect whether the mixer exists, and install one if it doesn't. And why the AppServer is dependent on a sound mixer is a mystery to me.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 06:11:11 pm by Matthew »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2008, 05:43:19 pm »
if you look at the code for the AppServer, it will become clear, particularly that the app server deals with allocating and launching external applications from the orbiter, and tries to control the sound card so that we don't have situations where multiple programs try to exclusively grab the soundcard. This is vastly oversimplified, but that's the reason why the App server controls the sound card.. not saying it's perfect...but that's the way it is, now.

-Thom

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2008, 06:13:53 pm »
if you look at the code for the AppServer, it will become clear, particularly that the app server deals with allocating and launching external applications from the orbiter, and tries to control the sound card so that we don't have situations where multiple programs try to exclusively grab the soundcard. This is vastly oversimplified, but that's the reason why the App server controls the sound card.. not saying it's perfect...but that's the way it is, now.

That logic would make some sense, on a MD/Hybrid. If anything, the AppServer should block running apps on a host that is just a Core (not also a MD).

There's practically no AppServer docs. Is it a completely custom app, or is it related to any other app servers? Other than the code, is there any other discussion of how it works?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2008, 07:39:21 pm »
and actually... if you look at a multi MD setup, there are App servers for each media director. They deal with launching the apps on each media director.

As a side effect of sound card management, a set of commands had to be added to manage the sound card volume/mute/etc as well.

-Thom

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2008, 08:55:05 pm »
Problems with sony disc changer with 0710

I can not ID or play disc on my disc changer after installing the 0710 beta

Anyone else seeing this.
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2008, 02:50:39 am »

-Thom

Yep... thats correct Thom. Nice explananation ;-)
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #98 on: January 05, 2008, 02:52:45 am »

Anyone else seeing this.

Hi - Mantis that please (make sure you add it to one of the 0710 speficic sections). Thanks :-)
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

RichardP

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2008, 01:26:39 pm »
Turned out that Appserver needs a sound mixer device to work with, and my soundcard (Audigy Value) does not have one. Installation of a software mixer had my system up and running smoothly. Still don't have sound working (I had sound before installing the software mixer)

Would you report that bug in Mantis? The installer should detect whether the mixer exists, and install one if it doesn't. And why the AppServer is dependent on a sound mixer is a mystery to me.

Will Do.
Best Regards,
Richard

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 07, 2008, 05:29:23 am »
Here is how I installed the beta2 ISO manually to a partition, without burning a DVD. 

WARNING: improper use of the following commands will likely destroy other partitions if you're not careful!!!  This is not for the squimish and your mileage may vary:

# create /dev/sdaX
fdisk

reboot

#mount the ISO
cd /where/you/saved/the/iso
mkdir -pv /media/linuxmce
mount -v kubuntu-linuxmce-0710-i386-beta-2.iso /media/linuxmce -o loop,ro -t iso9660

# Create a filesystem on the new partition.
mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdaX

# Mount the new partition and go there
mkdir -pv /media/sdaX
mount /dev/sdaX /media/sdaX
cd /media/sdaX

# Untar the base.
cat /media/linuxmce/lmce-image/linux-mce.tar.gz_0{0,1} | gzip -cd | tar xvf -

# Put a few things in their place.
rmdir lost+found
mklost+found
mkdir -pv dev proc
cp -iv /media/linuxmce/lmce-image/firstboot etc/init.d/
ln -sv ../init.d/firstboot etc/rc2.d/S90firstboot
cp -iv /media/linuxmce/diskless-images/* usr/pluto/install/

# Find the UUIDs of the partitions we're goting to use.
vol_id -u /dev/sdaX # newly created
#>      d43aaa52-a120-47f5-aae7-721aa5fe90a7    # mine for example
vol_id -u /dev/sdaY # existing swap
#>      593b77dd-54c8-42cd-acb7-2d7c76c2c7f1    # mine for example

# Use those numbers to edit the following files:
vi boot/grub/menu.lst
vi etc/fstab

# You may want to skip this one if you only have one NIC.
#vi etc/network/interfaces
sed 's/eth0:1/eth1/g' -i etc/network/interfaces

# Let the system detect your NIC(s) instead.
#vi etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
sed '/"net".*"eth."/d' -i etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

grep '^mysql:' etc/passwd | cut -d: -f3,4
#>      109:119         # 0704, 0710 beta1-2

# Change ownership of the database files.
find var/lib/mysql ! -user root -exec chown 109:119 '{}' \;

reboot

Everything is done as the root user, and you will need to replace /dev/sdaX and /dev/sdaY with the partitions you created or want to use.  You will also need to configure a bootloader to start your partition, I used the existing GRUB install on another partititon and added extra targets to its /boot/grub/menu.lst.

No guarantees that this will give you a properly working system, but so far everything seems to work fine for me.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 05:42:01 am by Zaerc »
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 07, 2008, 05:41:21 am »
Here is how I installed the beta2 ISO manually to a partition, without burning a DVD. 

Thanks - that procedure makes sense, and is certainly a little different from the one I'm using that's failing, in what seems like the relevant places. Especially since the change I made to my instructions, adding
Code: [Select]
title ISO image on sda3 (LMCE v0710b2)
kernel (hd0,2)/casper/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3 BOOTMEDIA=cd
initrd (hd0,2)/casper/initrd.gz
boot
booted OK, except that the partition somehow was mounted on a dir called "/root", and booting halted in (initramfs) with a busybox shell and (I assume initramfs) stuff in /. When I changed it to "root=(hd0,2)/dev/sda3", I got a "init: /init 157 Error divide by zero" kernel panic when it tried to mount the root filesystem. Kind of a showstopper.

You will also need to configure a bootloader to start your partition, I used the existing GRUB install on another partititon and added extra targets to its /boot/grub/menu.lst.

Well, since that's what's killed me in my other method, would you specify the target I'd need to add to menu.lst? Thanks again for the assist.

RichardP

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 07, 2008, 06:47:30 am »

I'm going through the process of getting the source code to have a look at it, but I doubt it is dependant on it. More likely it is setting the sound volume or something like that, and not checking beforehand whether it exists. Bad things happen in code when you do something to a non-existant object.  :o

Best Regards,
Richard

jetrich

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2008, 04:54:36 pm »

Anyone else seeing this.

I haven't installed the beta yet, but this makes me glad I haven't...

My wife and kids (not to mention the kids that come to my house for the daycare) would have a fit if they couldn't access the movies.

Did the display issues reported on mantis http://mantis.linuxmce.org/view.php?id=3530 relating to the sony changers get corrected at all?

Jason
Silverstone LC20M (silver)
Fiire Chief
Asus A8N-E
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Skystar 2
Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 150 MCE
PNY 7300GT
Sony XL1B3
Sherwood RVD-6090 (needs replaced)
32" RCA SDTV

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2008, 06:58:25 pm »

Anyone else seeing this.

I haven't installed the beta yet, but this makes me glad I haven't...

My wife and kids (not to mention the kids that come to my house for the daycare) would have a fit if they couldn't access the movies.

The (overdue) first public beta of something as complex as LMCE is not for the wife and kids (unless they're beta testers, too). But it's worth installing on something expendable so you can offer feedback to speed the delivery of the release for them, so the old annyoing bugs are gone faster.