Author Topic: 0710 beta 2 available  (Read 112107 times)

GTO

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Re: 0710 beta 2 available
« Reply #75 on: January 01, 2008, 03:35:50 am »
may i know where can i download the 3.8 gig ISO?

is it possible to do a net install with the 5.12gig iso?

my com supports network booting

Unfortunately there is no 3.8gig iso publicly available right now... there will be later this week though.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean re net install with the 5gig iso... but once installed all LinuxMCE versions will allow networked machines to be PXE booted from your local LAN.

Hmm.. what i meant was, if it was possible to setup another com as a server to host the iso file

while my main system with bios enabled network boot, get to be installed using the iso from the server

anyway thanks,
since it would be out later this week, ill wait for that instead.

another thing is, may i know which version of mythtv is in the package? 0.20.2?

is it possible for me to upgrade it to Mythtv SVN? and will it still work? because i tried to upgrade mythtv to svn in 7.04, it couldnt start mythtv anymore, saying that mythtv has died , and tried to restart it.

enrique.lopez

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2008, 02:39:05 pm »
Installation à partir d'une image ISO sur le disque dur
[edit]

Pour cette installation, vous n'avez besoin que de votre disque dur. Dans ce qui suit, CD1.iso est le nom de fichier de l'image du premier disque d'installation.

1) Notez sur un papier le répertoire exact et la partition où vous avez téléchargé vos images ISO (par exemple : /home/mdv2007 et /dev/hda7).

2) Montez l'image du CD1 de Mandriva en loopback en tant que root (explication) :

mkdir /mnt/iso
mount -o ro,loop CD1.iso /mnt/iso

Si vous ne voyez rien apparaître dans /mnt/iso il peut être nécessaire d'ajouter le paramètre -t iso9660 à la ligne mount … :

mount -t iso9660 -o ro,loop CD1.iso /mnt/iso

3) Copiez le kernel et l'initrd d'installation depuis le répertoire alt0 dans /boot :

cd /mnt/iso/i586/isolinux/alt0
cp all.rdz /boot/install.rdz
cp vmlinuz /boot/install

4) Créez une entrée lilo en rajoutant dans le fichier /etc/lilo.conf :

image=/boot/install
        label=install
        root=/dev/ram3
        initrd=/boot/install.rdz
        vga=791

5) Exécutez la commande lilo :

lilo

6) Rebootez et choisissez l'entrée de menu install :

reboot

7) Vous arrivez maintenant dans le début de l'installateur en mode texte. Quand demandé, indiquez d'abord la partition, puis l'emplacement de CD1.iso (il n'y a pas de navigateur...).

8) Poursuivez l'installation normalement.
KB - Installation à partir d'une image ISO sur le disque dur

It's the possible solution for boot iso image within burn in DL DVD?

enrique.lopez

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2008, 02:46:00 pm »
SORRY in English

For this installation, you only need your hard drive. In what follows, CD1.iso is the filename of the image of the first installation disk.

1) Write a paper directory accurate and the partition where you downloaded your ISOs (eg / home/mdv2007 and / dev/hda7).

2) Set up the image of CD1 Mandriva loopback in as root (explain):

Mkdir / mnt / iso
Mount o ro, loop CD1.iso / mnt / iso

If you see nothing appear in / mnt / iso it may be necessary to add the parameter t iso9660 to line… mount:

Mount t iso9660 o ro, loop CD1.iso / mnt / iso

3) Copy the kernel and initrd instructions from the directory alt0 in / boot:

Cd / mnt/iso/i586/isolinux/alt0
Zip all.rdz / boot / install.rdz
Vmlinuz cp / boot / install

4) Create a lilo by adding entry in the / etc / lilo.conf:

Image = / boot / install
         Install label =
         Root = / dev/ram3
         Initrd = / boot / install.rdz
         Vga = 791

5) Run the command lilo:

Lilo

6) Reboot and choose the menu install:

Reboot

7) You are coming now in the beginning of the installer in text mode. When asked, indicate partition first, and then the location of CD1.iso (no browser ...).

8) Continue the installation normally.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2008, 03:50:18 pm »

I've installed both 0704 and 0710Beta2, and I've not been able to get Myth working under LMCE. In both cases, it seems to be that Appserver does not start up.

I'm using Gigabyte Motherboard with Intel processor, NVidia 7300GT, Creative Audigy Value and Leadtek Winfast DTV1000T.

I can get Myth working under KDE, but not under LMCE, where I just get a black screen and eventually get told Myth is having a problem and do I want to reset the backend. It seems that all the hardware works - the problem is that Appserver (device #15) does not start up. When LMCE is starting, the log shows a timeout waiting for Appserver to be registered, and eventually I get a black screen saying not all devices started up.

I'd like to get to the bottom of this - any ideas where I can find some relevant logs to point me in the right direction? The Wiki is very sparse on info for Appserver.

Best Regards,
Richard.

Did you by any chance disable asterisk and/or text-to-speech?

No, I didn't. Should I have done? I did a standard install, straight off the DVD.

No you shouldn't but that's the main reason, I've seen reported before, why the AppServer won't start, therefore I asked.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

GamerAyers

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2008, 05:56:45 pm »
Since I do not have any DL dvds, is there any chance to run a forced update to 710 beta 2 instead of buying some disks and burning it off?  That would be very helpful.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2008, 10:58:01 pm »
Theoretically you could mount the iso, copy it's files to another directory (preserving permissions and ownership), truncate PlutoMD-amd64.tar.bz2 and PlutoMD-i386.tar.bz2 in diskless-images, then create a new isolinux bootable image using the remaining files and burn that to a single layer DVD; then after installing it copy over the diskless images for MDs. But as totallymaxed pointed out there should be a new set of betas soon where the AMD64 version has only PlutoMD-amd64.tar.bz2 and the i386 has only PlutoMD-i386.tar.bz2, and with some fat trimmed so that the whole thing fits on a single layer DVD.

danielk - would that then mean that you can only run AMD MDs on an AMD core, and the same for Intel? Was that always the case?

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2008, 11:32:46 pm »
Theoretically you could mount the iso, copy it's files to another directory (preserving permissions and ownership), truncate PlutoMD-amd64.tar.bz2 and PlutoMD-i386.tar.bz2 in diskless-images, then create a new isolinux bootable image using the remaining files and burn that to a single layer DVD; then after installing it copy over the diskless images for MDs. But as totallymaxed pointed out there should be a new set of betas soon where the AMD64 version has only PlutoMD-amd64.tar.bz2 and the i386 has only PlutoMD-i386.tar.bz2, and with some fat trimmed so that the whole thing fits on a single layer DVD.

danielk - would that then mean that you can only run AMD MDs on an AMD core, and the same for Intel? Was that always the case?

No in fact you can intermix the two ;-)
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

RichardP

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2008, 12:20:32 am »

No, I didn't. Should I have done? I did a standard install, straight off the DVD.

No you shouldn't but that's the main reason, I've seen reported before, why the AppServer won't start, therefore I asked.

Thanks for that. Although I doubt it's happening, I'll go and check the logs to see if either of these is impacting Appserver's ability to start.
Best Regards,
Richard

dgirard

• View Profile
Re: 0710 beta 2 available-problem with network boot
« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2008, 04:59:17 am »
OK, I've got the 0710 beta installed in a VM, and it appears to be up and running.

I cannot seem to get the network boot working.   I've tried using my existing MD (which network boots from my production core with no problem), and a VM MD and neither one will network boot from the new 0710 core.

It gets an IP addy from the dhcp server on the core, but TFTP fails...I get a message:
PXE-E32: TFTP open timeout
TFTP...

I've reinstalled the core twice and see the same problem.  I've got all firewalls turned off on the core and on the system hosting the VM, so it *should* work?!

I even tried adding the MD device manually.  It looks like the appropriate TFTP boot files are where they're supposed to be, but it's almost like the tftp server isn't running on the core...

When I try to manually start the TFTP service on the core, it reports that the port is busy...so I'm guessing TFTP runs as an inetd service...I don't see any logging of tftp connections, but I'm not exactly sure where to look...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
David

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Re: 0710 beta 2 available-problem with network boot
« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2008, 09:19:18 am »
OK, I've got the 0710 beta installed in a VM, and it appears to be up and running.

I cannot seem to get the network boot working.   I've tried using my existing MD (which network boots from my production core with no problem), and a VM MD and neither one will network boot from the new 0710 core.

It gets an IP addy from the dhcp server on the core, but TFTP fails...I get a message:
PXE-E32: TFTP open timeout
TFTP...

I've reinstalled the core twice and see the same problem.  I've got all firewalls turned off on the core and on the system hosting the VM, so it *should* work?!

I even tried adding the MD device manually.  It looks like the appropriate TFTP boot files are where they're supposed to be, but it's almost like the tftp server isn't running on the core...

When I try to manually start the TFTP service on the core, it reports that the port is busy...so I'm guessing TFTP runs as an inetd service...I don't see any logging of tftp connections, but I'm not exactly sure where to look...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
David

Hmmm... well I can confirm that the 0710 beta does network boot MD's ok. So my thinking is that this problem is specific to your installation... maybe to do with the 'virtual' eth0 conflicting with the host OS use of the physical eth0? Just a thought...
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

RichardP

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 02, 2008, 01:52:22 pm »

Thanks for that. Although I doubt it's happening, I'll go and check the logs to see if either of these is impacting Appserver's ability to start.

Logs don't show much that I can use without going through the source code. Appserver is dying with return code 139. Does that mean anything to anyone?
Best Regards,
Richard

mlb5000

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2008, 08:56:22 pm »
I read that 'niz23' encountered issues when attempting to install the hd-dvd/blu-ray ripping utilities but has anyone tested the playback functionality yet?  I just started looking into this I'd be completely sold if Blu-ray/HD-DVD worked in 0710.  I'm looking to get an LG GGC-H20L dual format reader for my current Vista Home Premium media center (I have the XBOX 360 HD-DVD drive now) and I'd really like to be able to use it if I move to LMCE.  Also, how much will the requirements for the thin-clients change in order to allow HD-DVD and Blu-ray playback?

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2008, 11:49:04 pm »
I can tell you guys, that i managed to install the beta2 ( 0710 ) form an external harddrive by following some tutorials ( iso from usb hdd ) ( I will post this later on, because its a bit tricky to do ),
(..._
If someone wants to know something about my findings feel free to ask, and for the developers keep up the good work.

Would you please post your instructions for installing 0710 from a DVD image file? Thanks.

rmwlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2008, 02:39:42 pm »
No disrespect intended, so please do not flame back.

I am curious as to the timetable for the release of the 0710 version of LMCE. I presume that it will be released shortly. Note that the next version of K/Ubuntu is scheduled to be released on April 24, 2008, approximately 100 days from today?

Once again, not complaining as I am not the developer nor a tester, just an interested user in a developing software package that should gain tremendous traction this year, and entice users to abandon Winblows as a platform for home automation and htpc purposes.

Best wishes to the developers and testers, and looking forward to the release of LMCE 0710.

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2008, 02:56:26 pm »
2) Set up the image of CD1 Mandriva loopback in as root (explain):

(...)

3) Copy the kernel and initrd instructions from the directory alt0 in / boot:

Cd / mnt/iso/i586/isolinux/alt0
Zip all.rdz / boot / install.rdz
Vmlinuz cp / boot / install

4) Create a lilo by adding entry in the / etc / lilo.conf:

Those instructions work for installing Mandriva Linux. Kubuntu/LMCE does not have either an alt0/all.rdz/etc or use lilo (it uses grub instead).

Does anyone have actual instructions for installing 0710b2 from a DVD ISO file, that they've actually tested to work?

Failing that, can I just mount the ISO file as a loopback, delete the PlutoMD-[amd64,i386].tar.bz2 file that I'm not using, unmount the ISO file, and burn it to a single-layer DVD that's no longer too big to fit?