Author Topic: Experience with the PLEXTOR ConvertX PVR Device?  (Read 2275 times)

solero10

• View Profile
Experience with the PLEXTOR ConvertX PVR Device?
« on: December 18, 2007, 05:28:16 am »
Is anyone using the Plextor ConvertX PVR USB device as a capture device for recording tv with LinuxMCE?  It is not listed under the Category:TV Cards wiki page and I was wondering why.

The MythTV site shows that it is supported and it is mentioned briefly on our Wiki on the hardware page but then not mentioned anywhere else.  It seems like a great device since it can record directly to MP4 (Divx).

NewEgg is selling this USB device right now with a $60 rebate so that is why I am asking.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814144504

Thanks

solero10

• View Profile
Re: Experience with the PLEXTOR ConvertX PVR Device?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 04:31:36 pm »
Maybe a better question is if it works for MythTV, wouldn't it automatically work for LinuxMCE?  After all, isn't MythTV doing the recording of shows?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Experience with the PLEXTOR ConvertX PVR Device?
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 06:47:04 pm »
yes it does, but often, LinuxMCE can use the capture device directly for the direct-to-cable box communication. I do this for my morning alarm clock, so i watch the weather channel in the morning, without filling up disk space, or to control the pay per view stuff on my cable box directly.

-Thom