Author Topic: Better Name for "0710"?  (Read 4356 times)

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
Better Name for "0710"?
« on: December 23, 2007, 12:15:07 am »
LMCE "0710" is now being beta tested, and release is imminent. It's called "0710" because it's based on Ubuntu 0710. But the Ubuntu version is named that because it was released in "2007/10" (October 2007), which satisfies both incremental version numbers and recalls just when it dates from. This new version of LMCE will not be released until 2008, and it's different from the previous version more because of LMCE project work than from upgrades in the underlying Ubuntu OS.

So maybe we shouldn't call it "0710", which names the version after both a date and a component that don't define it. Maybe LMCE should do what Ubuntu does, and name the release after the date it's actually released, padded with zeroes. In a year or so, a name like "0801" will mean a lot more than "0710".

mortar

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Better Name for "0710"?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 01:35:52 am »
You make a good point, but if they're still going to offer a CD installation method at some point, The multiple version numbers are going to get confusing for some people, and they won't know which version of Ubuntu to have loaded and may install 8.04 by mistake.

Perhaps the versions could be released as LMCE "0710.0810", with the minor version referencing the date (which is just a mouthful).  Judging by the staggered history of LinuxMCE releases, I think it'll be fine to call it "0710", as I imagine the devs will eventually get it to the point where LinuxMCE versions are released a certain number of days (i.e. a month) after, or to co-incide with a Ubuntu release as I'm sure was their aim.

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 03:01:04 am »
You make a good point, but if they're still going to offer a CD installation method at some point, The multiple version numbers are going to get confusing for some people, and they won't know which version of Ubuntu to have loaded and may install 8.04 by mistake.

Perhaps the versions could be released as LMCE "0710.0810", with the minor version referencing the date (which is just a mouthful).  Judging by the staggered history of LinuxMCE releases, I think it'll be fine to call it "0710", as I imagine the devs will eventually get it to the point where LinuxMCE versions are released a certain number of days (i.e. a month) after, or to co-incide with a Ubuntu release as I'm sure was their aim.

I know what you mean about the name referencing the Ubuntu version. But there's no reason the LMCE version has to reference the Ubuntu version. In fact, unless LMCE starts exceeding the Ubuntu 6 month release cycle, which I doubt, the Ubuntu name tells you to install it on top of the most recent Ubuntu to the LMCE date name. In fact, if LMCE ever releases a version that isn't compatible with its most recent version of Ubuntu (or whichever distro it's based on), then it's got serious problems that would demand a fork that could keep up.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 09:42:18 pm »
LMCE "0710" is now being beta tested, and release is imminent. It's called "0710" because it's based on Ubuntu 0710. But the Ubuntu version is named that because it was released in "2007/10" (October 2007), which satisfies both incremental version numbers and recalls just when it dates from. This new version of LMCE will not be released until 2008, and it's different from the previous version more because of LMCE project work than from upgrades in the underlying Ubuntu OS.

So maybe we shouldn't call it "0710", which names the version after both a date and a component that don't define it. Maybe LMCE should do what Ubuntu does, and name the release after the date it's actually released, padded with zeroes. In a year or so, a name like "0801" will mean a lot more than "0710".

Hmmm... it seems to me that we have a perfectly good naming scheme already ;-)
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

ddamron

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 11:22:47 am »
Totallymaxed,

I agree... no need to change what works.
The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.

djmaze

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 04:28:27 am »
Well since it is based on Ubuntu you maybe should keep your own version but use Ubuntu's versioning as the release (or build) number?

Say: 1.2.0710

Then in the case if ther are no changes in LMCE you can still upgrade ubuntu and get: 1.2.0804
Or in the reverse case: 1.3.0710

This does "feels" better to the "old school" versioning system (major.minor.release.build)

[edit]
Also it would be odd if the exact same sources from 710 are used.
Maybe Ubuntu had important updates/patches in the mean time.
Then you can't fully say it is 710 but, 712 instead
[/edit]
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 04:33:24 am by djmaze »