Author Topic: NVIDIA 7600 Installation issues  (Read 19341 times)

posterberg

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: NVIDIA 7600 Installation issues
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2008, 08:51:35 am »
Under the Modules section, remove any lines that say Load "dri" or Load "glcore", and make sure you have
  Load "glx"

I have dri and glcore and it works. Why should they be removed? Is performance affected by having them loaded?

I'm afraid I don't know. I've been told by Nvidia support to remove them, and the tech didn't know either. He had installations where it worked fine with dri and others where it gave problems. My guess is that there is some code in the NVidia drivers which duplicates the functionality of dri/glcore or needs access to the same hardware/addresses/ports. My other guess is that some series of cards are affected by them but not others.

Thanks for your feedback, I'll test and see what happens if I remove them. I'll do so when I get home tomorrow. I'll report back and tell if I can see any performance changes...

prettymg

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2008, 01:49:39 pm »
This is the exact problem i've been trying to fix for 2 weeks now (just found this forum).  My only question is, before or after i edit this file, will i need install any additional nvidia drivers?

Thanks
MG

RichardP

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2008, 02:06:12 pm »
This is the exact problem i've been trying to fix for 2 weeks now (just found this forum).  My only question is, before or after i edit this file, will i need install any additional nvidia drivers?

Thanks
MG

I'm afraid the answer is not going to help you in the slightest  :D

It would depend on what driver you currently have, and whether they have any bugs in the sections that relate to your card. The short answer - try just the edit, and if that solves your problem, fine. If you are capable of getting the latest drivers and installing them, you probably want to do it. Nvidia is generally good with their drivers and my personal preference is to have the latest non-beta driver always
Best Regards,
Richard

prettymg

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2008, 07:33:41 pm »
Thanks...I'll give that a shot.  I loaded the beta 710 thinking that would solve my problem, but it's still the same.  I noticed that in 710 beta, there are three xorg.conf files, two with .pluto appended to them.  The file setup looks about the same with a couple of extra option and some missing info from the 704 file.  Any luck with the beta?

RichardP

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2008, 01:13:09 am »
Thanks...I'll give that a shot.  I loaded the beta 710 thinking that would solve my problem, but it's still the same.  I noticed that in 710 beta, there are three xorg.conf files, two with .pluto appended to them.  The file setup looks about the same with a couple of extra option and some missing info from the 704 file.  Any luck with the beta?

I've never edited anything but /etc/X11/xorg.conf - I think LMCE changes the others when it sees something different in your configuration on startup. Maybe someone with more knowledge could fill us in.
Best Regards,
Richard

prettymg

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2008, 10:57:09 am »
Thanks again...the fix worked.  My only issuse now is the default resolution.  I have my LMCE box connected DVI/HDMI to my tv which has a native resolution of 1366x768.  When I run through the AV Wizard, I don't have the option to select this resolution, so when I have MCE up and running, I have to scroll to the left/right to see the entire screen.  Any idea?

Thanks Again

RichardP

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2008, 01:49:18 pm »
Thanks again...the fix worked.  My only issuse now is the default resolution.  I have my LMCE box connected DVI/HDMI to my tv which has a native resolution of 1366x768.  When I run through the AV Wizard, I don't have the option to select this resolution, so when I have MCE up and running, I have to scroll to the left/right to see the entire screen.  Any idea?

Thanks Again

Have a look at the xorg log file - /var/log/xorg.0.log - and read through it. It contains a lot of information about what is happening as the X video subsystem starts up. This includes what it thinks your monitor capable of and what the card is capable of. You will be able to see if the video mode really is unsupported, or whether it is not being offered because the system thinks your monitor is not capable of it.

I found a similar problem after installation, which arose because the system assumed my TV was NTSC. Putting in Option "TVStandard" "Pal" solved that problem easily, but it was only the logs which told me where the problem lay.

Best Regards,
Richard.
Best Regards,
Richard

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2008, 08:13:52 pm »

Thanks Again

I have 1366x768@66hz running fine...
Do the following:

Boot into KDE and download the latest driver from Nvidia to the desktop.
Or press this link:
http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/169.07/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.07-pkg1.run

Now press CTRL + ALT + F1 and log in with linuxmce/linuxmce if you are on the core or just root if you are on a MD.

Shutdown X to install driver by typing:
sudo telinit 1

CD to your desktop...
On the Core:
cd /home/linuxmce/Desktop
On a MD:
cd Desktop

Install the driver by typing:
sudo sh drivername (I just type sudo sh nv and press TAB and the rest of the name writes itself)
Follow the installation wizard, choose No to continue on the first and yes to all the rest...

Reboot by typing:
sudo shutdown -r now

Hold shift while booting to enter AvWizard and if you dont see it, press 1 on the keyboard to choose DVI.

Choose a simple resoluting. 640x480 is fine... You probably get this one anyway...

Start KDE desktop after the rebuild.
Press the KDE Start button and select Run Command
Type:
sudo kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Edit only the following sections: Monitor, Device and Screen.
This is what I have in mine:
Code: [Select]
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "Unknown Vendor Name"
BoardName "Unknown Board Name"
Option "LinearAlloc" "16384"
#BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Modes "1366x768"
Virtual 1366 768
EndSubSection
Option "TVStandard" "1366x768"
EndSection

When you are done, save the file and reboot :)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 08:15:43 pm by cirion »

RichardP

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2008, 11:16:44 pm »
[quote author=cirion link=topic=3500.msg20763#msg20763 date=1199819632]
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Modes "1366x768"
Virtual 1366 768
EndSubSection
Option "TVStandard" "1366x768"
EndSection

When you are done, save the file and reboot :)
[/quote]

What card do you have. I'm going to be changing displays as soon as I can, so I'm interested in this, as it didn't work for me. Would you be able to PM me your xorg logfile. It is in /var/logs/xorg.0.log, most likely.

Best Regards,
Richard.
Best Regards,
Richard

prettymg

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2008, 10:23:31 am »
Made the suggested changes to my xorg.conf file, and now i get the 1366x768 resolution i've been wanting, but when I'm using KDE, the text to to small to read.  When I open a web page, I can't read any text.  When i set the resolution o 1280x720, a quarter of the KDE display is off the screen.  Any suggestions, oh yeah, launched the nvidia setting app, but the I can't read any of the settings.  I think we are getting close.  I have LG 50' plasma model 50PC1DR-UA with my Nvidia 7600 GT video card (DVI to HDMI) connected.

posterberg

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2008, 12:17:14 pm »
Made the suggested changes to my xorg.conf file, and now i get the 1366x768 resolution i've been wanting, but when I'm using KDE, the text to to small to read.  When I open a web page, I can't read any text.  When i set the resolution o 1280x720, a quarter of the KDE display is off the screen.  Any suggestions, oh yeah, launched the nvidia setting app, but the I can't read any of the settings.  I think we are getting close.  I have LG 50' plasma model 50PC1DR-UA with my Nvidia 7600 GT video card (DVI to HDMI) connected.

You could try inserting a DPI option in the x.org config file. I am sorry that I don't recall in which section of the conf file it goes but I know that it does affect how big the fonts gets rendered.

I hope that give you a hint about what to google for... ;o)

RichardP

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2008, 12:50:47 pm »

Sounds like you're almost there. If you get the right resolution, then the hardware is capable of displaying it. The text size is no problem - somewhere (I can't remember where) in the xorg.conf, you can twiddle the default font size settings.

While you are getting there, and having to use the browser to Google and read the forum before you've got it licked, don't forget you can change font size in the browser settings, and the old standby - if you have a mouse with a middle scroll-wheel, then in the browser you can change font-size on the fly by holding down ctrl on the keyboard while you rotate the wheel.

Best Regards,
Richard.
Best Regards,
Richard

prettymg

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2008, 08:30:12 am »
Still having the same problem with the microscopic font in KDE. I've played around with the DPI settings in the /usr/pluto/bin/Start_X_Wrapper.sh script to no avail.  I am also no able to get any backgrounds in MCE.  HELP PLEASE.

posterberg

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2008, 12:13:10 pm »
Still having the same problem with the microscopic font in KDE. I've played around with the DPI settings in the /usr/pluto/bin/Start_X_Wrapper.sh script to no avail.  I am also no able to get any backgrounds in MCE.  HELP PLEASE.

startx -- -dpi 100(try different dpi values)

Have solved this problem for me multiple times but I must admit that I haven't used it in LMCE or in which startup script it should be put in LMCE... Sorry...

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2008, 05:10:13 pm »
Try setting up your display drivers properly: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Display_Drivers#Microscopic_fonts_in_KDE.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous