Author Topic: NVIDIA 7600 Installation issues  (Read 19339 times)

posterberg

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: NVIDIA 7600 Installation issues
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 11:41:19 am »
Hmm, I read in one thread just now "Don't use the shortcut of installing with the DVD on unproven hardware"...

Do you think I would get rid of my problems if I try taking the CD install route instead?

1. Installing the KUbuntu CD
2. Get all video drivers up and running
3. Then install the LMCE CD

Is this more stable or will the last CD change anything in my videodriver setup?

jesusffs

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2007, 11:16:36 pm »
Do you think I would get rid of my problems if I try taking the CD install route instead?

1. Installing the KUbuntu CD
2. Get all video drivers up and running
3. Then install the LMCE CD

Is this more stable or will the last CD change anything in my videodriver setup?
well I just tried this route; installed kubuntu CD, shutdown x to install 1.0-96xx series drivers, rebooted to see loading kubuntu screen, then it simply goes to a blackscreen with a blinking cursor :X Anyone know whats going on?? I followed all the steps from the wiki http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/Display_Drivers

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2007, 01:05:12 am »
You got steps 2 and 3 in the wrong order.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

posterberg

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2007, 01:35:32 am »
But what's difference then from just using the DVD install?

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2007, 03:11:56 am »
When you have the blinking cursor check to see if there is a /etc/X11/xorg.conf  if not try copying one thats in that directory ie xorgplutoavwizard or something like that to xorg.conf wait 30 seconds or so and see if avwizard pops up.

My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

jesusffs

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2007, 08:06:31 am »
When you have the blinking cursor check to see if there is a /etc/X11/xorg.conf  if not try copying one thats in that directory ie xorgplutoavwizard or something like that to xorg.conf wait 30 seconds or so and see if avwizard pops up.

there is one, in fact i edited the xorg.conf file a few times to use vesa & nv driver instead, and yes saw the avwizard come up, however I'm trying to get linuxMCE up and running w/ compatibility for my gfx card & its driver, but that appears to be too near impossible :-/

posterberg

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2007, 11:21:38 pm »

What is really wierd is that there is one, and I know that it is working... I get KDE running perfectly if I boot in recovery mode and manually issue 'startx'.

But AVWizard fail to start if I let the computer boot up normaly...

I might have success with trying to use the vesa driver as suggested and then switch back to the xorg.conf file I now have...

rafik24

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2007, 06:22:32 pm »
Hi,

Had the same issue and solved it by editing the Xconfigure.sh script and changed the CRT string to TV-0 as i'm using the S-Video scart (TV-0). try to use whatever is right for the port you are using. I also have a FX5200 where i had nothing to touch it just worked.

Regards,

Rafik

posterberg

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2007, 08:12:53 pm »
I've solved my issues now as well...

1. Install NVidia drivers according to the Envy guide found in this forum
2. Update the modules section in xorg.conf to include (I did this after running the AVwizard but I think it safely can be done at once)
Code: [Select]
Section "Module"
        Load    "i2c"
        Load    "bitmap"
        Load    "ddc"
        Load    "dri"
        Load    "extmod"
        Load    "freetype"
        Load    "glx"
        Load    "int10"
        Load    "type1"
        Load    "vbe"
        Load "record"
        Load "xtrap"
        Load "speedo"
        Load "GLcore"
        Load "v4l"
EndSection

3. Copy /etc/X11/xorg.conf to pluto.xorg.conf (sorry that name is incorrect, it show up after a few faulty reboots but it seems to be deleted now when avwizard has completed) I'll update the guide if someone knows the correct name
4. Add the command exit on the second line in /usr/pluto/bin/Xconfigure.sh
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash
exit

function XorgConfLogging() {
        local message="$1"

Brindamour

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2007, 08:53:27 am »
I had the same issue and I believe  ::) I know what is happening. When I was installing LinuxMCE from the 2 CD's on top of a fresh Kubuntu 7.04 install, whenever I chose to use the proprietary driver that the installer wants you to use, I get this issue. When I use the standard driver and change to the proprietary later, I don't get this issue. I have a NVIDIA 6800LE in this test computer I am using.

I think that the AVWizard is starting after the reboot and is in a resolution that the monitor cannot see or the driver is just incompatible. It is funny that If I change to the proprietary after the install that AVEizard runs fine after a reboot.

Hope this helps...

RichardP

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2008, 12:59:19 am »

I figured it might be a video driver issue so I followed the video setup guid in the Wiki and downloaded the latest NVIDIA driver.

telinit 1, and then installed the video driver, and after that 'reboot'

Well, I still just get the result with having a monitor that goes to sleep.

It is a standard monitor that is capable of any resolution up to 1600x1200 so it shouldn't have any problem with displaying any type of output.

I tried pressing all combinations from 1-9 with the twittering sound in between. My monitor wakes up and shows text mode for a short while and then back to sleep. I guess this is when X restarts after changing video settings.

I thought using NVIDIA cards should be the smooth way to do this? I never had any such problems with my old ATI card (9800 series)... ;o)

It sounds like you are having the output routed through to the wrong connector.

Edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Option "TVStandard "xx"

For the VGA connector, xx=CRT
For SVideo connector, xx=TV

I'm not sure what DVI is, but if you are using DVI, reply to this and I'll look it up for you. Assuming you haven't already solved the problem, that is  ;)

Best Regards,
Richard.
Best Regards,
Richard

digdugsmug

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2008, 07:43:45 pm »

I figured it might be a video driver issue so I followed the video setup guid in the Wiki and downloaded the latest NVIDIA driver.

telinit 1, and then installed the video driver, and after that 'reboot'

Well, I still just get the result with having a monitor that goes to sleep.

It is a standard monitor that is capable of any resolution up to 1600x1200 so it shouldn't have any problem with displaying any type of output.

I tried pressing all combinations from 1-9 with the twittering sound in between. My monitor wakes up and shows text mode for a short while and then back to sleep. I guess this is when X restarts after changing video settings.

I thought using NVIDIA cards should be the smooth way to do this? I never had any such problems with my old ATI card (9800 series)... ;o)

Option "TVStandard "xx"

I'm not sure what DVI is, but if you are using DVI, reply to this and I'll look it up for you. Assuming you haven't already solved the problem, that is  ;)

Best Regards,
Richard.

I am using the DVI connector on a 7600.  Think using DVI in the xorg.conf file would work?  I guess if you know where to look something like this up that would be great!  Thanks.

RichardP

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2008, 11:37:22 am »

Option "TVStandard "xx"

I am using the DVI connector on a 7600.  Think using DVI in the xorg.conf file would work?  I guess if you know where to look something like this up that would be great!  Thanks.

DVI is:
   Option "TVStandard" "DFP"

You can also try in addition to the above line, to have a line which says
   Option "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP"

What is the difference? TVStandard tells the card what is connected to the ports at the back of the card. UseDisplayDevice tells the driver which of the devices connected is the one to use, and is useful only when more than one device is plugged in.

Also check the following:
Replace any line which says Driver "xx" with:
   Driver "nvidia"
Existing Driver options might be nv, vesa or fbdev. Whatever it is, replace it.

Under the Modules section, remove any lines that say Load "dri" or Load "glcore", and make sure you have
  Load "glx"

Let us know how you go. Good luck!

Best Regards,
Richard

posterberg

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2008, 12:53:55 pm »
Under the Modules section, remove any lines that say Load "dri" or Load "glcore", and make sure you have
  Load "glx"

I have dri and glcore and it works. Why should they be removed? Is performance affected by having them loaded?

RichardP

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2008, 02:44:32 pm »
  Load "glx"

I have dri and glcore and it works. Why should they be removed? Is performance affected by having them loaded?

I'm afraid I don't know. I've been told by Nvidia support to remove them, and the tech didn't know either. He had installations where it worked fine with dri and others where it gave problems. My guess is that there is some code in the NVidia drivers which duplicates the functionality of dri/glcore or needs access to the same hardware/addresses/ports. My other guess is that some series of cards are affected by them but not others.
Best Regards,
Richard