Author Topic: Good Hardware to make this thing rock.  (Read 3425 times)

grepico

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Good Hardware to make this thing rock.
« on: December 14, 2007, 04:51:28 pm »
I'm going to be building a system for my home, can anyone help me with a known working hardware list.

I want good gear that won't be buggy and will perform excellent, price is not an issue up to about 5K.

The system will consist of the core and three clients, I'll only be using it for AV right now.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit:
Before Thom rips me again to read the wiki, I have seen the hardware section.  What I'm hoping for is user input on hardware they've used and that works well.  :)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 05:04:41 pm by grepico »

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Good Hardware to make this thing rock.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 05:28:14 pm »
I'm going to be building a system for my home, can anyone help me with a known working hardware list.

(...)
Before Thom rips me again to read the wiki, I have seen the hardware section.  What I'm hoping for is user input on hardware they've used and that works well.  :)

If these discussions produce some real user feedback with real HW, please update the wiki Hardware article.

blackoper

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 06:39:33 pm »
I'll be able to give you a lot more information once 710 comes out. I havn't used linuxmce since it was pluto :) I do however have a crapload of computers/hardware that I am planning on testing. I also have zwave lighting and hvac, 1-wire devices along with a couple touchscreens. I plan on making howto articles/blogging with pictures for other people to have a quicker time of doing things.

hoboghost

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 10:58:49 pm »

(...)

If these discussions produce some real user feedback with real HW, please update the wiki Hardware article.

I just did a build and got it working (though I am not close to really testing it yet-playing video/music/recording live tv.  All I have accomplished is an apparently successful install and ui2 with alpha blending) using the AN-M2HD (not using the onboard graphics--This is more of a challenge but possible) Nvidia 6200LE (make sure you turn off onboard graphics! :))  AMD 64 X2 4000+, 2GB of Corsair Ram, an abit airpace wilress card wlp-01 (a major pain to get working but possible with ndiswrapper), asus 18x DVDR, Antec NSK2480 case, two maxtor rebranded seagate 320GB drives.  So far works fine.  Setting it up took me weeks :) but mostly b/c I am a complete newbie to linux and I haven't built a pc in 5 years.  Most of my installation problems were due to bios settings set incorrectly for my set up.    I still need to try connecting this to my television (i set LMCE up with a 17" dell moniter), install the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950 ATSC NTSC USB HD TV Tuner (which I hear takes some doing in linux).  I also have an ADS tuner, but I don't think it works in linux.

Oh by the way I am using this as a hybrid not a dedicated core.  So I am losing a lot of functionality, but I just wanted to test it out first.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 11:02:26 pm by hoboghost »