Author Topic: Is Linux mce for me  (Read 4965 times)

maxim1

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Is Linux mce for me
« on: December 13, 2007, 07:10:33 pm »
Stumbled across Linux MCE by accident on youtube and would like to know if its really for me. Like every one else I have loads of digital content stored on USB drives and main pc. At the moment I use a buffulao networked dvd player for the main living room and a laptop with external drives in the bedroom.

My main PC is being upgraded to a dedicated DAW so will only have the laptop soultion left, I will be conneting the networked dvd player to the laptop but have to admit it sturggles to play some file types. The laptop is running vista and will freqently crash's, i use it with a wireless mouse and remote.

What I would like to do is load Linux MCE on the laptop and use it as a core/md just to view digital content, I have no interest in using PVR functions as I have a Virgin + box full of content I have recoreded and not watched infact all tv programs im interested in I down load.

I will require another md in the living room connected to main TV, can this be another laptop and will I require another remote ?

grepico

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Is Linux mce for me
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 09:25:18 pm »
I've also just began looking at this and being unfamilar with Linux and MCE's in general, I've got a few questions.

What I'm looking for is something like the Kaleidescape system that I can rip my dvd's to a controlling server then be able to access the movies at my tv using a remote control.  I see that LMCE seems to have this functionality, however I'm unclear on the tv controlling devices.  It seems that they're PC's, can they be controlled via an IR remote or do you have to have a mouse and keyboard?

Ultimately, I want a system that operates like a normal DVR so people like my parents and kids can watch movies in any room in the house with no computer knowledge.

Thanks

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 10:26:23 pm »
I've also just began looking at this and being unfamilar with Linux and MCE's in general, I've got a few questions.

What I'm looking for is something like the Kaleidescape system that I can rip my dvd's to a controlling server then be able to access the movies at my tv using a remote control.  I see that LMCE seems to have this functionality, however I'm unclear on the tv controlling devices.  It seems that they're PC's, can they be controlled via an IR remote or do you have to have a mouse and keyboard?

Ultimately, I want a system that operates like a normal DVR so people like my parents and kids can watch movies in any room in the house with no computer knowledge.

Thanks

I would suggest reading up on the system starting from the main page on the wiki:

http://wiki.linuxmce.com/

But yes, the big difference in this system, as opposed to a smaller media center only system, or a commercial offering like Crestron or AMX (which are direct competitors), is that the remote control options available are staggering:

* Typical RC6 Windows MCE Remotes via IR
* Gyroscopic remotes such as the Gyration Mouse, Gyration Media, or the Fiire Chief (which is made specifically for LinuxMCE!)

as well as the original Orbiter design, which runs on a variety of commodity hardware, think of an orbiter as a graphical remote, all orbiters in a room stay in sync with each other, if you use a remote in a room, any other remotes in the room automatically update their displays appropriately:

* Nokia 770 and N800 tablets
* Any Windows PC (this also extends to touchscreen tablets such as the Tatung Webpad, or WebDT 366)
* Any Windows CE or Mobile PDA
* Any Web capable device with rudimentary javascript (Web Orbiter), this opens up to a LOT of devices! I've used it to control via an iPhone for example!
* A Cisco 7970 IP phone using its embedded services browser

in addition, A Symbian Series 60v2 (such as a Nokia N70), or Windows Mobile Smartphone can be used as an orbiter with the addition of a bluetooth dongle. This gives you all the functionality above, plus the ability to do "Follow-Me" functionality. So when you leave a room, media, lighting preferences, climate controls, and/or security events, even in-progress telephone calls can follow you to another room.

as i said... staggering. This is a whole house solution, and I suggest spending serious time on the wiki to figure out if this is right for you.

-Thom

maxim1

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 08:47:18 pm »
I take it from the lack of responces from MY orignial question Linux MCE is not for me. Thanks

ddamron

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 08:56:16 pm »
I take it from the lack of responces from MY orignial question Linux MCE is not for me. Thanks

If that's all you want to do, use Media player in windows, or mplayer (or xine) in linux..
You're missing the whole point of linucmce.. it's a Whole House controller - media is but one small aspect..

Currently, my linuxmce system monitors all lights in the house, watches my IP Security cams, streams media to multiple MD's etc etc etc..
It will also warn me if it senses a problem eg: house in sleep mode, and motion sensed on IP cameras or X10 motion sensors...

Sorry if noone answered your question in the timeframe you wanted... it's just that linuxmce does so much more than just a 'media' box..
so, unless you really want a whole house media everything, I don't think linuxmce is for you..

Regards,

Dan
The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.

schaferj

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 11:54:17 pm »
maxim1,

Thom & Dan provided good info and many folks use lmce mostly, if not exclusively, for AV.

I will require another md in the living room connected to main TV, can this be another laptop and will I require another remote ?

MD can be another laptop.  One with nvida vid card may be easiest.  The 'orbiter' IS a remote it is the main interface of the media directors.  As Thom noted, many platforms may run orbiter as a remote only.  Or you can use many other dedicated remotes, but another remote is not required - in fact, no dedicated remote is required, although many find them useful.

Another thought is to put the lmce core hybrid (server with orbiter) on your 'main pc' (kubuntu + lmce suite) and use audacity + on kubuntu for the digital audio workstation.   The core will pick up your shared buffalo media files to play on itself or the other mds.  Then you can use your existing laptop for the md in your LR.

joseph

maxim1

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 01:33:45 am »
Thanks schafer, jddamron for your reply s given me some thing to think about at this time since I dont own this property im living in I can not use linux MCE to its full potential. On the other hand I am looking for a reliable AV streamer. So will look into further, once again thanks

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 03:58:10 am »
I wouldn't consider LMCE if I couldn't have a core running 24/7. It doesn't make sense. Like a DVR thats off you won't get the scheduled recordings. However if you set up a core you can use your Buffalo to play content from it. Install Swisscenter http://www.swisscenter.co.uk/ and set it up to point at your content directories and its all available to any Syabas player. And if you want a better Syabas player look at this http://popcornhour.com/ which will play almost anything, including Bluray and HDDVD content.