Author Topic: Interest in Supporting Internet TV Services like Miro  (Read 6376 times)

dadwkids

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Interest in Supporting Internet TV Services like Miro
« on: November 23, 2007, 02:30:46 pm »
Hi - I am new to linuxmce and am starting to learn more about it.  Before I found Linuxmce I came across an interesting approach to Internet TV: Miro (http://www.getmiro.com/). 

I'm not quite sure what the long term strategy is for Linuxmce (is it meant to replace DVD players, cable boxes, my alarm system box, all of the above) but I thought an interesting strategy would be to support some form of Internet TV.  This would differentiate LinuxMCE from all the other things I've seen because it could do all the things it does now and provide a platform to watch Internet TV on my big screen. 

(I'm not a developer so I can't do this myself :)

rafik24

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Interest in Supporting Internet TV Services like Miro
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 04:01:26 pm »
 Hi dadwkids,

I guess this could be added as a plugin in lmce, someone is working on an xmame plugin and he might be able
to give the steps to add new plugins windows etc.

I'm looking to add skype as a plugin and i hope not to get throught the traditionnal reverse engineering
path cause i've done it few times, let me tell you that it consumes an awful amount of time but there a lot to learn

Good luck,

Rafik

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 06:41:33 pm »
the media view has a concept of tagging files as "Downloaded from the net" ..

A set of Designer views would have to be created for all of the orbiters.... then a new Media Scenario could be created to start pointing to custom screens and code... but i'm wondering what kind of plugin this would be... probably, it would just be something hanging off the DCERouter, shipping displays to datagrids on a screen.

http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/Creating_New_Datagrid was a direction that Paul sent me off in before I decided to make it a full fledged media plugin, although I believe that this approach here would make more sense for this...

An RSS view would be quite fantastic. I'm still trying to get a grasp on the code base...

-Thom

desmarch

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 12:26:37 am »
Hi - I am new to linuxmce and am starting to learn more about it.  Before I found Linuxmce I came across an interesting approach to Internet TV: Miro (http://www.getmiro.com/). 

I'm not quite sure what the long term strategy is for Linuxmce (is it meant to replace DVD players, cable boxes, my alarm system box, all of the above) but I thought an interesting strategy would be to support some form of Internet TV.  This would differentiate LinuxMCE from all the other things I've seen because it could do all the things it does now and provide a platform to watch Internet TV on my big screen. 

(I'm not a developer so I can't do this myself :)

I fully second this. I use Miro on my current desktop to catchup on news and this is a great feature. I hope LMCE will support it very soon. ;D

dragon_788

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 09:05:46 am »
It is possible to use videos downloaded by Miro in LinuxMCE already. You simply need to "fix" the permissions on the LinuxMCE videos folder (/home/public/videos/) and perhaps create a miro folder in there, then in the Miro options (on your Kubuntu desktop) point Miro to download to that folder (if you don't fix the permissions it won't let you change to that folder for saving). Once you do that, start downloading some videos and they'll show up in the Videos section of LinuxMCE shortly. The one downside (and a reason for more tightly integrating it) is that some shows don't use a nice file naming convention, they assume you'll be using the RSS for your metadata and so when looking in LinuxMCE all you'll see is some obscure filename. Thankfully many publishers are slightly smarter than that.

desmarch

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 09:27:13 pm »
It is possible to use videos downloaded by Miro in LinuxMCE already. You simply need to "fix" the permissions on the LinuxMCE videos folder (/home/public/videos/) and perhaps create a miro folder in there, then in the Miro options (on your Kubuntu desktop) point Miro to download to that folder (if you don't fix the permissions it won't let you change to that folder for saving). Once you do that, start downloading some videos and they'll show up in the Videos section of LinuxMCE shortly. The one downside (and a reason for more tightly integrating it) is that some shows don't use a nice file naming convention, they assume you'll be using the RSS for your metadata and so when looking in LinuxMCE all you'll see is some obscure filename. Thankfully many publishers are slightly smarter than that.

Thanks a lot for this very useful information. It is indeed a good starting point. I hope that tighter integration will nevertheless come at some point.

Do you know whether we can do something similar with podcasts using itunes from a winPC or any other application in linux?

Thanks