Author Topic: LMCE vs Windows MCE Wiki Entry  (Read 2632 times)

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
LMCE vs Windows MCE Wiki Entry
« on: December 11, 2007, 08:57:32 pm »
I created a new article in the wiki, "Windows MCE vs LinuxMCE". It is very incomplete, and probably inaccurate, especially regarding the Windows features. Please update it with better and more complete info.

BTW, I reused the structure markup from a similar Wikipedia page, but the LMCE wiki doesn't seem to support the {wikitable} template or <ref> tags. It should - until then, the article I added looks terrible.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: LMCE vs Windows MCE Wiki Entry
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 10:52:02 pm »
In all honesty I really don't see the point in dragging LMCE down by comparing it to an inferior product.  And instead of fighting the tools provided for us you might want to try and learn using them properly.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 11:09:51 pm »
In all honesty I really don't see the point in dragging LMCE down by comparing it to an inferior product.  And instead of fighting the tools provided for us you might want to try and learn using them properly.

Comparing LMCE to an inferior, but vastly more popular product doesn't drag down LMCE. The only "logic" behind that statement is hatred of Windows. Which I share, on the merits, but I don't let that fool me into thinking LMCE will just sell itself. The point is to help people understand how LMCE is superior. And, where it's not, what can be done to make it so.

As for "fighting the tools", I don't know what kind of OSS programmer thinks that way. If the LMCE wiki were open enough for me to activate the wikitable template and the ref tag, I would do it. Instead, I'm hoping I can just get it upgraded. OTOH, instead of fighting me over it, you could fix it.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 12:34:42 am »

Comparing LMCE to an inferior, but vastly more popular product doesn't drag down LMCE. The only "logic" behind that statement is hatred of Windows. Which I share, on the merits, but I don't let that fool me into thinking LMCE will just sell itself. The point is to help people understand how LMCE is superior. And, where it's not, what can be done to make it so.

As for "fighting the tools", I don't know what kind of OSS programmer thinks that way. If the LMCE wiki were open enough for me to activate the wikitable template and the ref tag, I would do it. Instead, I'm hoping I can just get it upgraded. OTOH, instead of fighting me over it, you could fix it.

Personally I am not sure of the value of the 'Comparing LMCE to MCE' page... but hey a WIKI is about letting people create pages that they think are of value. If no one else agrees who cares.

I agree with Zaerc... I am more interested in the information the Wiki contains as opposed to whether it has 'this' or 'that' feature implemented. Pouring your expertise into the Wiki is the important bit ;-)
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 12:42:04 am »
I don't see any need to "sell" LMCE and certainly not by dragging it down like that, the two aren't even in the same league in spite of LMCE's slightly misleading name, this is not a popularity contest.

Furthermore I'm not fighting you, but I guess you're the only one that's entitled to an opinion around here.  Apart from that I wouldn't even know what to "fix" let alone how, and personally I've never needed all that fancy stuff (whatever it's for). 

"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous