Author Topic: Potential MD?  (Read 5107 times)

Stingly

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Potential MD?
« on: December 10, 2007, 06:08:36 pm »
http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/10/vias-artigo-pico-itx-ultra-compact-barebones/

Or too underpowered? One day I'll find a tiny kick-ass machine that costs nothing to use - and I'll buy loads of them!  ;D

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
Re: Potential MD?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 06:41:00 pm »
If a Zonbu will work (zonbu.com) then I would think this could possibly work as well, not for High def content though, and no guarantees from me.

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 06:50:43 pm »
itd be good for touchscreen orbiters i think. at least...id like to use it for em.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 10:24:27 pm »
I would reccommend against buying anything that is VIA based until they release proper drivers.  And the Zonbu only works properly with UI1.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 10:06:39 am »
UI1 is in some respects a better UI, alltough not as pretty.
I miss the 'play all' button in UI2 among other things.
But I don't understand why they can't release the 'real' drivers for the hardware, like they do automatically if you run M$...
hrmpf

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 12:45:19 pm »
ouch, it's 1GHz, not 1.7GHz like I thought

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 03:16:57 pm »
But I don't understand why they can't release the 'real' drivers for the hardware, like they do automatically if you run M$...
hrmpf

Play all is still there in UI2 ( I thought it was missing too ) It's within the 'More' menu.

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 07:23:14 pm »
hrmpf

Play all is still there in UI2 ( I thought it was missing too ) It's within the 'More' menu.

It is really unacceptable that different UI styles have different UI organization/structure. What about when a single home has different MDs with different display HW, so different UI styles, but therefore different functionality or navigation? No normal user will accept that, and the divergence will drive developers a little crazy, too.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 07:40:07 pm »
It is really unacceptable that different UI styles have different UI organization/structure. What about when a single home has different MDs with different display HW, so different UI styles, but therefore different functionality or navigation? No normal user will accept that, and the divergence will drive developers a little crazy, too.

The question is: what are you going to do about it?
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 09:04:40 pm »

The question is: what are you going to do about it?

I've been posting in the Developers forum trying to get people with knowledge of which files/tables contain the UI code/data to publish that info. Posting bug reports to Mantis. Updating the wiki with what I know, and reorganizing it to be more usable. And posting discussions of how to factor, tier and unify/simplify the code in its Orbiter, Adminsite (and evidently Web Orbiter) versions, and now in its Orbiter UI[1,2,2-blend] styles. And congratulating the project for all its work opening to a scalable, manageable developer community.

Until those efforts produce more success, there's not a lot more I can do about it. And since v0710 will evidently introduce so many changes, it probably doesn't make sense to do much about it until after that milestone. Immediately after.