Author Topic: LinuxMCE Slow  (Read 18444 times)

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
Re: LinuxMCE Slow
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2007, 01:53:53 pm »
it doesn't matter what file system your drive is if it's mounted on a NAS/networked PC and shared from there.
do a search on the forum as similar issues have been discussed before. Myself, I am waiting for 710 hoping it will have some fixes and bring LMCE up to date in driver department (then you can also mount an NTFS HDD directly on the core).

Crypt

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2007, 03:34:57 pm »
At the moment everything is through shares off of windows machines.  I have really been thinking of setting up a NFS just to hold our media be it music or movies as i think i posted in another post I am just not sure if i want to use the media center for it or build a freebsd box...

also had to shut down the DHCP part of it since it was messing up my wireless network.  It would assign an IP address, but wouldn't forward it to the router and then to the internet.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2007, 11:11:15 pm »
also had to shut down the DHCP part of it since it was messing up my wireless network. 

Which is exactly why your shares aren't detected properly... 
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Crypt

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2007, 11:53:30 pm »
Which I really find that surprising.  AM i supposed to run everything off a DHCP server?  the only things that are DHCP are my wireless devices, everything else is static IP's.  I have also noticed when I move stuff onto the drive it doesn't see it either.  Should I really turn the DHCP back on and have two DHCP servers running?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2007, 12:19:46 am »
you should only have one DHCP server running, the one on the core.

DHCP is used to determine if devices appear on the network or not. If DHCP is not enabled on the core, all network based devices have to manually be added via the Web Admin.

The way that I've seen most setups with an existing wireless/router be retrofitted, is that the WAN connection isn't used at all, and all devices are plugged into the LAN side of the router. The DHCP server on the router is then disabled.

-Thom

Crypt

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2007, 12:43:18 am »
hmm...I wonder if i can keep it as is and turn off the DHCP on the router but still use it for the gateway...

also noticed that .mp4 files don't work well on it

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2007, 01:17:45 am »
No, don't even bother.

mp4 files by default aren't crawled by UpdateMedia, but this has been fixed in 0710. use the Media Files Sync option in the web admin to select the file, and call it a LinuxMCE Video File.. It will then play properly.

-Thom

Crypt

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2007, 01:22:42 am »
to late...already tried it...

the file has been sync'd and still messes up.  i'll try it from the kubuntu desktop and see if it works any better

chrisbirkinshaw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2007, 01:00:37 pm »
I have found my core to be very slow. It's an XP2500 with 512MB RAM. I just accepted that I would have to upgrade it eventually, but then one day after a reboot my CPU use went right down. See the attached image, the dip to the right of the graph.

I assumed some stuff wasn't running but all processes were running, and LMCE was working fine. This lasted a couple of days and then suddenly after another reboot it was back to its usual self again!

I have no idea what causes this as there are no clue in the syslog or dmesg output. The CPU seems to be taken up mostly by "sys" processes (the kernel?). Weird...!

Chris

Crypt

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2007, 03:06:46 pm »
No, don't even bother.

mp4 files by default aren't crawled by UpdateMedia, but this has been fixed in 0710. use the Media Files Sync option in the web admin to select the file, and call it a LinuxMCE Video File.. It will then play properly.

-Thom

I dropped the system down to the KDE desktop, and started to play the file in Xine.  Xine reported back an error saying that it wasn't running properly.  Of course do you think I think I can remember the error?  It did tell me to either drop it from 24bpp to 16 bpp also said I should run xine-check which couldn't find a couple of things of xine...damn when i get home again, i'll re run it and let you know what it says...

hmm...is the gyration keyboard supposed to work with linuxmce as well as the mouse?

Chrisbirkinshaw,

could you post more information on your system specs.  As people have said to me, it might help us understand more of whats going on with your system if we know the entire setup.

chrisbirkinshaw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2007, 03:34:52 pm »
System is:

NFII Ultra Infinity Mobo
Mobile XP2500+ (undervolted)
512MB RAM
Radeon 7000 (using "radeon" open source driver)

I see the same problems even if I disable the core services and the media director from running in the LMCE launch manager. Perhaps this is an underlying Ubuntu problem in my case.

Chris

Crypt

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2007, 03:41:47 pm »
Are you using an onboard NIC and sound?

Have you tried the proprietary drivers from ATI over the open source?

chrisbirkinshaw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2007, 02:49:51 pm »
Using onboard NIC and sound. The card is actually too old to use the ATI binary driver.

At any rate, I get these problems without X running.

It's a weird one...!

Crypt

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2007, 03:10:10 pm »
you got those problems without X running?  your running it from a terminal?  Unless i am mistaking your meaning...

chrisbirkinshaw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2007, 03:16:17 pm »
If I kill the X process the problems persist.

This PC actually used to be a diskless MD in my previous setup, and it didn't show the problems then. Weird.