Author Topic: LinuxMCE Slow  (Read 18448 times)

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
Re: LinuxMCE Slow
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 08:41:38 am »
well i disabled the onboard nic
(edited)

I guess that's your problem with finding shares, if you had two NICs during install and disabled one now you need to do some configuration in the web admin.
sounds to me like the 3Com NIC is your external network and the onboard NIC that you disabled is your internal network.
LMCE only finds shares on the internal network, and only when DHCP is enabled, and only when there's no other DHCP.

Sounds like you need to read up on 'single NIC install'

Crypt

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 12:38:10 pm »
i disabled both the onboard sound and the onboard NIC and then did a reinstall of LinuxMCE.  I forgot that LinuxMCE acts as a DHCP server so I have now turned it off in my router.  shouldn't really make much of a difference since I use static IP's well except for the wireless,  So far everything is still cabled outside of my laptop. 

The odd thing was, LinuxMCE saw all of my shared directories, went through the whole set up of each, made them all public and yet still nothing. hmm, either way we shall see how this goes...

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 12:42:02 pm »
You made the shares public? You didn't use the LMCE folder structure?

Crypt

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 01:08:41 pm »
They are public shares across the network and no i didn't use the LinuxMCE folder structure.  Should I have?  At this point I am thinking i should just go buy a 500GB drive to store all my media on that system.  Damn, i think i should have used the LinuxMCE file structure.  would explain something.  damn.  i'll have to redo that, or look into redoing it without a reinstall...well unless you say otherwise

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2007, 01:34:16 pm »
Public should work fine for a 'media only' share.
I like to use the LMCE folder structure because that structures my media (you have to move the actual files into the new structure though).
Should work, give it some time. read a bit in the wiki and on the forum to become familiar with the usual problems/sollutions. that helps a lot.

Crypt

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2007, 02:59:46 pm »
well I might just do a fresh install and set up the shares int he LinuxMCE structure since well they aren't showing up at all.  well nothing is showing up at all...it doesn't really hurt for me to redo the system, outside of time, what really do I have to lose? 

I'll have to check out the wiki some more and see what I may have missed.

Crypt

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2007, 05:59:09 pm »
Actually I think i will completely redo the system.  This is the idea I have in mind:
use the same computer.  have 2 harddrives in it.  1 20gb drive for LinuxMCE, then take a secondary drive which at the moment will probably be a 320gb drive, partition it so that music has one and movies has the other.  copy all the files I want over to the secondary drive which well I have yet to decide on the filesystem.  Install LinuxMCE on the primary drive...then all I have to figure out from there is how to have the music or movies play across the network saying my wife wants to watch Tv and I want to watch something else.  I could probably use samba for that  and use a linux filesystem to house all the media.

outside of that, the only other thing i can think of doing is setting up a freebsd NFS system and house all the media I want on there and have that shared across the network.

Though I still think i'll reinstall LinuxMCE and use the file structure from that and see if it makes a difference on if the media shows up or not.

Crypt

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2007, 12:37:06 pm »
Well looks like it is all working, just need to figure out a couple of issues wuh playback, like how i choose language and subtitles..stuff like that,,,

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2007, 02:45:26 pm »
So how did you end up fixing your speed issues?
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Crypt

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2007, 02:56:27 pm »
It seems it was an issue with the on board sound or the on board NIC.  I disabled them both since well I don't need either one and the system was much much faster. 

so now my system set is:
P4 2.0
512Mb RAM
Nvidia FX 5200 128MB vid card
3Com NIC
SoundBlaster Live Value soundcard

As for the shares, I have no idea how that got fixed.  They weren't there last night, checked it this morning and there they were...go figure...

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2007, 05:51:46 pm »
It takes a while for the files to sync
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

Crypt

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2007, 06:16:11 pm »
odd, considering the first install where the system was slow as hell they appeared, then last night it was a couple of hours...ahh well, it's up and running guess thats all that matters.

All thats left is fine tuning stuff...though I may have to redo some stuff if i can't figure out the dual audio part of some of the stuff.  what i mean by that is i have stuff in English and Japanese for audio.  For some reason it automatically picks up the English audio, but in all honesty I prefer the Japanese audio with subtitles.  I can normally do this under Xine, i just can't get a menu while the vid is playing to change the selection...

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2007, 06:32:01 pm »
if it is a DVD image, you can use the DVD options menu to set this.

-Thom

Crypt

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2007, 07:03:33 pm »
nope, i don't use it at the moment for DVD's.  most of the stuff is avi files or divx or along those lines.

Crypt

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2007, 12:52:30 pm »
Somone said it takes a while to sync with the shared...how long is to long, and does it matter if the drives are NTFS? I really am starting to wonder if i should set up a large drive in the media center and just have it house all my media