I've read that something went wrong with Asterisk and MythTv, the same fate may have hit other packages although I didn't read any other issue report like mine (and now yours).
This is new to me. I know MythTV has issues and was pushed back, but what happened with Asterisk?
I wouldn't have started a fire here ... I just recall a post where a user was saying that with .30 something related to Asterisk was not properly loaded. I think that on startup asterisk and its modules are unloaded and have to be loaded by hand. I test by myself because on my box I didn't start yet using asterisk, this is just what I've read about. I didn't mean to blame anyone's work here, and if someone felt offended please accept my apologies.
Unfortunately when upgrade finished OnScreen Orbiter on my hybrid was no more started (only X and maybe ratpoison were started), all I got was a grey screen and all network connection were dropped. No way to interact with the box other than hit "reset" button on the case.
Weird. Unless there was a library mismatch, it shouldn't have caused problems. The logs would have had some ideas.
Logs related to old installation are still availalbe, as with the new install I didn't re-format /home partition. Just tell me what are the files you need to look at, and I will email them to you.
With previous Pluto releases I was experiencing exactly the same problem, and the only way to make things working was to "hack" the system by using unichrome version of xfree86 and xine 1.1.0
Please tell us about it, in detail.
I sent you an email with a resume of what I've made and some links pointing to modified debian packages.
Some of them are unapplicable with Pluto (I also tried Xorg, and via drivers compiled against an EPIA modified Xorg tree)
Keeping a "Pluto oriented" point of view in the end it turned out that on my hardware I have to use an EPIA modified version of xfree86 and libxvmc (to be able to use hw acceleration with xine), together with xine 1.1.0.
All these packages can be found here -> newbielink:http://www.physik.fu-berlin.de/~glaweh/debian/ [nonactive]
Of course an EPIA customized kernel would also help, but with Pluto .29 things were working fine also with standard kernel.
EPIA customized kernel would also mean a full rebuild of all modules, that may be a little tricky during a first time install and surely out of reach for most of average users, not to mention when a version update comes ...
One question though: what is in Xine 1.1.0 that you need to install it instead of the default (1.0.2)?
That's a good question. Using xine 1.1.0 has been a trial among others that I made, and I don't know exactly the reason why it is working.
I've downloaded the sources and I compiled only the engine part (not the gui)
The result was that Pluto .29 was working fine and divx playback was ok (with just a little adjustment on xine.conf parameters), i.e. xine wrapper didn't show any problem and playback was fluent.
My guess is that with xine 1.1.0 all in/out plugins are installed, while with 1.0.2 version shipped with pluto they seem missing. At least I noticed that if I run xine-check utility (pluto xine release) I'm getting a warning related to missing plugins, after installing xine 1.1.0 warning disappears
Moreover I guess that in 1.1.0 a better xv support for EPIA hardware is included.Important note
The "hack" of changing xfree86 server and xine version was working with .29, but it is no more working with .30.
Xine is not hanging the system, nevertheless it has poor performances (frame dropping, audio/video out-of-sync). Again my guess is that xfree86 server/drivers are ok, but xine wrapper is not using my compiled version of xine.
I will make further tests and will post here in case I find a (success) story.