Author Topic: Upgrade from .29 to .30 - Houston, we have a problem ....  (Read 12726 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Upgrade from .29 to .30 - Houston, we have a problem ....
« on: October 02, 2005, 01:41:27 pm »
... actually more than a problem, and I'll try do describe them in proper order.

Automatic upgrade process from .29 to .30 did not complete succesfully on my box.
The procedure  was hanging when trying to upgrade slapd to newer version.

I rebooted several times, I also leaved it working overnight, but no result.
I then tried to workaround the problem by manually removing slapd, and this  seemed to do the trick (at least upgrade was able to continue).
Unfortunately when upgrade finished OnScreen Orbiter on my hybrid was no more started (only X and maybe ratpoison were started), all I got was a grey screen and all network connection were dropped. No way to interact with the box other than hit "reset" button on the case.

I made several reboot but the result was always the same.

So I decided to go for a fresh install. Actually not a totally fresh one, as I decided not to reformat /home partition. As I've read that recent releases of Kick Start CD had some issues, I used .26 KickStartCD that I know that it's working fine.

Installation went ok (I only had to manually move old pluto log dir)
I noticed that apt-get is giving me the following warning:

W: Couldn't stat source package list http://deb.plutohome.com 20dev/contrib Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/deb.plutohome.com_debian_dists_20dev_contrib_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)

but I didn't get any dependecies error so far so I guess it is not a major problem.

Nevertheless everytime I reboot the hybrid (and it happened quite a lot of times in the last 2 days) apt-get is getting some packages (e2fs related).

Now OnScreenOrbiter is showing fine, but xine is hanging the whole system each and every time I try to play a divx file. Looks like a xfree86 problem that in this situation jumps to 98% CPU, but I may be wrong.

My box is a VIA EPIA M10000 with a Nehemiah 1Ghz CPU, and according to what I was reading in this forum during the past weeks .30 release should have better support for this kind of hardware.
I'm surely missing something, but so far it seems to me that support for VIA EPIA hw is the same as previous releases.

I also gave a look on the Installation Wizard to see whether some additional settings may have been added to manage VIA hw, but I didn't notice anything.

With previous Pluto releases I was experiencing exactly the same problem, and the only way to make things working  was to "hack" the system by using unichrome version of xfree86 and xine 1.1.0

At this point I'm totally clueless, and before re-hacking my system I would like to know whether I can do someting to make it work properly without altering the actual packages.

TIA
Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 09:21:57 am »
wow .... zero replies in one week ... :shock:

Are my questions really so dumb?

Regards
Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 11:23:14 am »
Marco,

I have major issues with .30 release also although I am on standard hardware.  After the automatic upgrade from .29 to .30 things I was also seeing the same errors as yourself.

I decided to do a clean install with the latest kickstart iso and now my system is unable to the play any video media, playing audio cd's is totally intermittent.

I can only assume that .30 is really broken and hope that a new release is forthcomming soon  :cry:

NOS

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 01:23:19 pm »
Hi NOS and thanks for your reply.

At least now I know that I was not the only one with this kind of problems ...

On other threads of this forum I've read that .31 is expected within few days, and probably this is the reason why Pluto guys didn't have time to give some hints.

I've read that something went wrong with Asterisk and MythTv, the same fate may have hit other packages although I didn't read any other issue report like mine (and now yours).

Moreover I've read that .31 KickStart will be much different. It will allow to set up a basic box without internet connection, and probably much more.

So I'm also eagger to upgrade to .31, hoping that it will clear these issues.

Of course, any comment by Pluto guys are always welcome :wink:

Regards
Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrade from .29 to .30 - Houston, we have a problem ...
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 10:51:59 am »
Quote from: "MarcoZan"
I then tried to workaround the problem by manually removing slapd, and this  seemed to do the trick (at least upgrade was able to continue).

We found out about it. Haven't found out why slapd gave problems, but it's being removed after these incidents.

Unfortunately when upgrade finished OnScreen Orbiter on my hybrid was no more started (only X and maybe ratpoison were started), all I got was a grey screen and all network connection were dropped. No way to interact with the box other than hit "reset" button on the case.

Weird. Unless there was a library mismatch, it shouldn't have caused problems. The logs would have had some ideas.

I noticed that apt-get is giving me the following warning:

W: Couldn't stat source package list http://deb.plutohome.com 20dev/contrib Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/deb.plutohome.com_debian_dists_20dev_contrib_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)

but I didn't get any dependecies error so far so I guess it is not a major problem.

That's harmless. Probably a logic flaw on our side adds that apt source. It's annoying, but it can be ignored.

Nevertheless everytime I reboot the hybrid (and it happened quite a lot of times in the last 2 days) apt-get is getting some packages (e2fs related).

That's a pre-upgrade for the MDs so they can actually boot when you upgrade from .29 to .30. I added some code in SVN to not download those anymore unless needed.

Now OnScreenOrbiter is showing fine, but xine is hanging the whole system each and every time I try to play a divx file. Looks like a xfree86 problem that in this situation jumps to 98% CPU, but I may be wrong.

My box is a VIA EPIA M10000 with a Nehemiah 1Ghz CPU, and according to what I was reading in this forum during the past weeks .30 release should have better support for this kind of hardware.
I'm surely missing something, but so far it seems to me that support for VIA EPIA hw is the same as previous releases.

As far as I know, nothing was added regarding EPIA. Rob (Tinia) has some EPIA machines at home and he may want to try adding the VIA drivers for them and tell us the (success) story.

With previous Pluto releases I was experiencing exactly the same problem, and the only way to make things working  was to "hack" the system by using unichrome version of xfree86 and xine 1.1.0

Please tell us about it, in detail.

One question though: what is in Xine 1.1.0 that you need to install it instead of the default (1.0.2)?

At this point I'm totally clueless, and before re-hacking my system I would like to know whether I can do someting to make it work properly without altering the actual packages.

You'll still have to hack your system. Write down what you do and write it on the forums. If there is any optimisation that needs to be done, we'll have a base to start from. If it doesn't break to much stuff it may even get into Pluto soon.

PS. Sorry for not giving you an answer before.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 10:56:02 am »
Quote from: "NOSILLA99"
Marco,

I have major issues with .30 release also although I am on standard hardware.  After the automatic upgrade from .29 to .30 things I was also seeing the same errors as yourself.

I decided to do a clean install with the latest kickstart iso and now my system is unable to the play any video media, playing audio cd's is totally intermittent.

I can only assume that .30 is really broken and hope that a new release is forthcomming soon  :cry:

NOS

What is your hardware? How does it behave? Describe "intermittent". Give as many details as you can. Thanks.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 11:02:03 am »
On other threads of this forum I've read that .31 is expected within few days, and probably this is the reason why Pluto guys didn't have time to give some hints.

It's going to take a little longer. Have to do a lot of isolation of packages for the new CD, probably lots of tweaking too, since the initial idea was to tie the user to the Internet and we have to change all that.

I've read that something went wrong with Asterisk and MythTv, the same fate may have hit other packages although I didn't read any other issue report like mine (and now yours).

This is new to me. I know MythTV has issues and was pushed back, but what happened with Asterisk?

Moreover I've read that .31 KickStart will be much different. It will allow to set up a basic box without internet connection, and probably much more.

That's the intention. Still have to do all the isolation and tweaking I was talking above...

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 02:54:47 pm »
Quote from: "radu.c"
I know MythTV has issues and was pushed back ...

What do you mean it was pushed back?  Are you using an older version in the .30 pluto release now?  If so I will download it and try again.

Is there a way to download and use .29?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 03:26:42 pm »
Quote from: "paulsperch"
I know MythTV has issues and was pushed back ...

What do you mean it was pushed back?  Are you using an older version in the .30 pluto release now?  If so I will download it and try again.

Is there a way to download and use .29?

No, it's same version as in .29. It's pushed back on the schedule. All I know is that it has issues. Can't extend that idea. I just overheared some talks about "having issues" :)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 03:28:12 pm »
Quote from: "NOSILLA99"

I found this thread on a Debian list by means of Google: http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2005/08/msg00326.html. I'd love some more reports on this (success stories based on applying what is said in there, if possible).

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 03:36:56 pm »
Ok, I'll go 1st with a success story:

I didn't change the initrd (wasn't that necessary), but only /etc/modules and added piix on top of the other modules so it loads before ide-generic. Now I have DMA on that machine's DVD unit.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2005, 06:42:51 pm »

This is new to me. I know MythTV has issues and was pushed back, but what happened with Asterisk?

I wouldn't have started a fire here ... I just recall a post where a user was saying that with .30 something related to Asterisk was not properly loaded. I think that on startup asterisk and its modules are unloaded and have to be loaded by hand. I test by myself because on my box I didn't start yet using asterisk, this is just what I've read about. I didn't mean to blame anyone's work here, and if someone felt offended please accept my apologies.

Weird. Unless there was a library mismatch, it shouldn't have caused problems. The logs would have had some ideas.

Logs related to old installation are still availalbe, as with the new install I didn't re-format /home partition. Just tell me what are the files you need to look at, and I will email them to you.

With previous Pluto releases I was experiencing exactly the same problem, and the only way to make things working was to "hack" the system by using unichrome version of xfree86 and xine 1.1.0

Please tell us about it, in detail.

I sent you an email with a resume of what I've made and some links pointing to modified debian packages.
Some of them are unapplicable with Pluto (I also tried Xorg, and via drivers compiled against an EPIA modified Xorg tree)

Keeping a "Pluto oriented" point of view in the end it turned out that on my hardware I have to use an EPIA modified version of xfree86 and libxvmc (to be able to use hw acceleration with xine), together with xine 1.1.0.
All these packages can be found here -> http://www.physik.fu-berlin.de/~glaweh/debian/
Of course an EPIA customized kernel would also help, but with Pluto .29 things were working fine also with standard kernel.
EPIA customized kernel would also mean a full rebuild of all modules, that may be a little tricky during a first time install and surely out of reach for most of average users, not to mention when a version update comes ...

One question though: what is in Xine 1.1.0 that you need to install it instead of the default (1.0.2)?

That's a good question. Using xine 1.1.0 has been a trial among others that I made, and I don't know exactly the reason why it is working.

I've downloaded the sources and I compiled only the engine part (not the gui)
The result was that Pluto .29 was working fine and divx playback was ok (with just a little adjustment on xine.conf parameters), i.e. xine wrapper didn't show any problem and playback was fluent.

My guess is that with xine 1.1.0 all in/out plugins are installed, while with 1.0.2 version shipped with pluto they seem missing. At least I noticed that if I run xine-check utility (pluto xine release) I'm getting a warning related to missing plugins, after installing xine 1.1.0 warning disappears
Moreover I guess that in 1.1.0 a better xv support for EPIA hardware is included.

Important note
The "hack" of changing xfree86 server and xine version was working with .29, but it is no more working with .30.
Xine is not hanging the system, nevertheless it has poor performances (frame dropping, audio/video out-of-sync). Again my guess is that xfree86 server/drivers are ok, but xine wrapper is not using my compiled version of xine.
I will make further tests and will post here in case I find a (success) story.

Regards
Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2005, 08:09:14 am »

I will make further tests and will post here in case I find a (success) story.

Regards
Marco

Hi,

let me just express that I'm looking forward to any solution that will give us Epia mobos working properly under Pluto...

Will this solution be for CLE266 or CN400 based boards (or if there is a god - for both ?

Regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2005, 08:30:46 am »
Hi Rob

my mobo has CLE266 chipset, so I'm focused on this target.

On unichrome project site ( http://unichrome.sourceforge.net/ ) you'll find that X driver they provide supports CLE266 and and KM400/KN400. Support for K8M800 and PM800/CN400 is still limited, but as I don't have those chipsets I can't say exactly how "limited" it is.

If this can help, I confirm that with .29 Pluto was working fine with some not-so-heavy tweak. I'm trying to figure out how to make it working also with .30. Im' always talking about an hybrid, so things may differ a little bit for MDs.

I think (but I may be wrong) that in .30 Pluto guys changed a bit some installation directories, so when in particular I compile and install xine 1.1.0 the engine will be installed in a different directory and will not overwrite the previous xine 1.0.2.

I'm playing with makefiles in order to have xine 1.1.0 installed on top of previous version, and when I'm done I will let you know.

Regards
Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2005, 11:28:42 am »
Hi Rob

my mobo has CLE266 chipset, so I'm focused on this target.

On unichrome project site ( http://unichrome.sourceforge.net/ ) you'll find that X driver they provide supports CLE266 and and KM400/KN400. Support for K8M800 and PM800/CN400 is still limited, but as I don't have those chipsets I can't say exactly how "limited" it is.

Regards
Marco

Hi,

you probably know about this, but there seems quite some drivers from Via released on their page with newer dates....

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=15&CatID=1810&SubCatID=101

I haven't been working on Epias since my first 9000a and binary drivers from VIA, so I don't know much about unichrome project or VIA attitude towards releasing drivers for their chipsets.

I'd be happy to test on cn400, just let me know when it will be ready...

HTH,

regards,

Rob.