Author Topic: Installating Nightmare...  (Read 4154 times)

yoda2nd

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Installating Nightmare...
« on: December 09, 2007, 10:17:09 pm »
1.  MythTV only starts about 75% of the time.  No idea how to fix this.

2.  The Pluto Admin link only works about 50% of the time.  I have been forced to access it remotely from my desktop.  No idea what is causing this.

3.  All my media is stored on a network file server.  I have read on the forums here that this is supported out of the box.  I wish this was correct.  In order to even get the MC to even detect the file server, I had to disable the DHCP server and Firewall (already have one, at a loss as to why there is one installed by default).  Now the MC detects the server and the shares, however I am unable to access any of the media on the file server.  From some experimentation I have discovered that I need to add each directory I want available on the web admin pages.  However there has to be a better way than manually listing all of the directories in the root folder.  The user manual has just the basic information, nothing detailed.  I am at a loss as to how to fix this.

Any help would be appreciated.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Installating Nightmare...
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 03:56:30 am »
I am sorry about the difficulties you are experiencing, however. Your issues with the system are because of the fact that you are trying to bypass the DHCP server that runs on the core. The reason it is there is PRECISELY the reason that the system can automatically detect file shares and use them.

In order to work best, and this is documented everywhere, you need to either:

(a) use two network cards, internal, and external, and make the core the center of your network.. this isn't as bad as it seems, and is very easy to do with the majority of network setups. You also get a much better firewall, and network QOS provisioning than what you get with most store-bought routers.
(b) use the Single NIC configuration defined in the wiki. However, if you turn off DHCP, you lose network plug and play, and will have to define all of your network resources in the Web Admin manually.

-Thom

1.  MythTV only starts about 75% of the time.  No idea how to fix this.

2.  The Pluto Admin link only works about 50% of the time.  I have been forced to access it remotely from my desktop.  No idea what is causing this.

3.  All my media is stored on a network file server.  I have read on the forums here that this is supported out of the box.  I wish this was correct.  In order to even get the MC to even detect the file server, I had to disable the DHCP server and Firewall (already have one, at a loss as to why there is one installed by default).  Now the MC detects the server and the shares, however I am unable to access any of the media on the file server.  From some experimentation I have discovered that I need to add each directory I want available on the web admin pages.  However there has to be a better way than manually listing all of the directories in the root folder.  The user manual has just the basic information, nothing detailed.  I am at a loss as to how to fix this.

Any help would be appreciated.

yoda2nd

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 06:19:42 am »
This is where I am confused...

Once I disable the DHCP Server and the Firewall the system, the system stops trying to act as a router and automatically detects the file server and all of the network shares (behaves as a normal computer on the network).  What it does not show/detect are any of the files and directories on the shares, which it appears that I have to list all the directories manual in the web config (When I can actually get into it).  I have yet found no way to just list the ROOT directory on the share.  The only reason I should need the DHCP server is if I had remote media stations that I wished to do a diskless boot from the network.

I am sorry about the difficulties you are experiencing, however. Your issues with the system are because of the fact that you are trying to bypass the DHCP server that runs on the core. The reason it is there is PRECISELY the reason that the system can automatically detect file shares and use them.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 01:20:58 pm »
This is where I am confused...

Once I disable the DHCP Server and the Firewall the system, the system stops trying to act as a router and automatically detects the file server and all of the network shares (behaves as a normal computer on the network).  What it does not show/detect are any of the files and directories on the shares, which it appears that I have to list all the directories manual in the web config (When I can actually get into it).  I have yet found no way to just list the ROOT directory on the share.  The only reason I should need the DHCP server is if I had remote media stations that I wished to do a diskless boot from the network.

Look through the forums and you will see that if you set your Core/Hybrid up as it was intended - as the DHCP server for your LAN then it will work fine. The problems always appear when you try to deveate from that.
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 02:01:22 pm »
Once I disable the DHCP Server and the Firewall the system, the system stops trying to act as a router and automatically detects the file server and all of the network shares (behaves as a normal computer on the network). 
You must disable the DHCP in the router, not the LMCE core ;)
Otherwise LMCE will not work, period...