Author Topic: D-Link DCS-5300G IP Camera with pan and tilt  (Read 7476 times)

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
D-Link DCS-5300G IP Camera with pan and tilt
« on: December 08, 2007, 03:21:15 pm »
Hi all,

the D-Link DCS-5300G works perfect with LMCE. If you want a reasonably priced ip camera with pan and tilt I can highly recommend it. I'm just polishing up the device template. It works out of the box with plug and play and will be available on the sqlCVS repository in the next days.

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: D-Link DCS-5300G IP Camera with pan and tilt
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 03:07:45 am »
Sorry Hari, may have missed it - but is the sqlCVS repository now syncing with all LMCE users over the Internet? I thought this functionality wasn't working yet for LMCE? Do we have to do anything to get it working?

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
Re: sqlCVS update in lmce (was: D-Link DCS-5300G IP Camera with pan and tilt)
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 01:22:39 pm »
Sorry Hari, may have missed it - but is the sqlCVS repository now syncing with all LMCE users over the Internet? I thought this functionality wasn't working yet for LMCE? Do we have to do anything to get it working?
there is a test repository at sqlcvs.charonmedia.org:3485. It uses the database dump from 0704. The D-Link is the first device for the moment (beside the Size addition in designer for the Nokia N770/800).

We have to test it! Zaerc was the only helpful soul for now. I'm just checking in my changes. If you want to help, do a sqlCVS update from the webadmin (server sqlcvs.charonmedia.org, port 3485), check all for dce and ir and see if you got a working device template. Do a database backup first and don't flame me if it burns your kitchen sink.

best regards,
Hari

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 05:17:25 pm »
Is there a way to make LMCE automatically control the DCS-5300G to pan across a wide area? Is there a way to use LMCE's motion detection subsystem to use that panned view?

Maybe by panning around and taking still pix that motion compares, as if each panned position were a different stationary camera. But does the DCS-5300G reposition exactly enough that two passes won't align different enough to trigger motion's detection, even if nothing in the scene has changed?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 08:02:44 pm »
Hari - will do as soon as I can, but for me at the moment most of this is theoretical. I have set up several LMCE systems on old hardware in the past, but all I have at the moment is a very prelim VMWare machine I set up yesterday - I have been waiting until after we moved house before getting all the hardware, etc. That happened last weekend, but now with xmas close upon us it will be slow going for a while :) or I'll get in trouble! But I'm stilll doing as much of the design and planning as I can at a theoretical level - hence the question - so that I can hit the ground running!

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 11:04:20 pm »
Is there a way to make LMCE automatically control the DCS-5300G to pan across a wide area? Is there a way to use LMCE's motion detection subsystem to use that panned view?
You can save positions and do a move to them fast. There is also a auto guard feature sweeping selected positions.
Maybe by panning around and taking still pix that motion compares, as if each panned position were a different stationary camera. But does the DCS-5300G reposition exactly enough that two passes won't align different enough to trigger motion's detection, even if nothing in the scene has changed?
i would not use a panning cam for motion detection. They are fooled easily. I would use motion detectors and let the camera pan to the triggering sensor to record frames.

best regards,
Hari

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 11:05:50 pm »
btw, the repo was freshly initialized, it can't be used with a default 0704 install. It's easy sync with the new repo (see mailing list). A more user friendly tutorial will follow the next days in the wiki.