Author Topic: LIRC and pwc problems after upgrade....  (Read 5257 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
LIRC and pwc problems after upgrade....
« on: October 01, 2005, 06:58:22 pm »
Hi,

I have finally upgraded and got some further minor problems....

USB cameras that use pwc module don't work anymore (I get single gray colour pictures) - I've booted with older kernel (I had to compile pwc for that one) and it works, in newer kernel not...

Also somewhere on this path LIRC stopped working, but this is mor likely some setup problem....

it says in logs :
Code: [Select]
10 10/01/05 19:32:53.356 Making hardware config
01 10/01/05 19:32:53.356 No SerialPort selected and no default entry found. Exiting.
Return code: 0
Sat Oct 1 19:32:53 CEST 2005 died

I've checked MD settings and I have ATI Remote Wonder remote and 'default' as infrared receiver... lirc atiusb module is loaded....

Any advice or similar experience ?

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 03:12:42 pm »
Hi Rob

I also had problem with my usb webcam kernel module, and the only way to get rid of it was to recompile the module against the new kernel.

With previous Pluto release it has been a hard task (at least for me), but with .30 everything worked like a charm.

I installed kernel-source and kernel-headers related to 2.6.13.2-vanilla-pluto-1-686 straight from pluto repository and following the pattern explained here (http://www.plutohome.com/support/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=69)  modules were compiled without a glitch.

As a note, motion shipped with Pluto .30 was crashing at startup (segmentation fault) in my box. Installing ffmpeg did not clear the problem and in the end I had to install motion 3.2.3-1

HTH
Regards
Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 08:53:09 pm »
Quote from: "MarcoZan"
Hi Rob

I also had problem with my usb webcam kernel module, and the only way to get rid of it was to recompile the module against the new kernel.

With previous Pluto release it has been a hard task (at least for me), but with .30 everything worked like a charm.

I installed kernel-source and kernel-headers related to 2.6.13.2-vanilla-pluto-1-686 straight from pluto repository and following the pattern explained here (http://www.plutohome.com/support/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=69)  modules were compiled without a glitch.

As a note, motion shipped with Pluto .30 was crashing at startup (segmentation fault) in my box. Installing ffmpeg did not clear the problem and in the end I had to install motion 3.2.3-1

HTH
Regards
Marco

Hi,

thanks for info.

What were your problems and which kernel module do you use ?

Regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 08:26:52 am »
Hi Rob

my problem was pretty simple, i.e. kernel modules were not loaded because of different kernel version. So what I had was a steady image, basically the last captured image before Pluto upgrade.

I'm using  nw8xx module, that is for some QuickCam models and a few others webcams based on nw801 and nw802 chips from Divio.

If I remember well you should be using pwc, that is anyway a kernel module.
To my little knowledge modules are tied to the kernel against wich they were compiled, so if it is working with previous kernel and not working with new one there is a chance that also in your case pwc is not loaded with new kernel because of different format / version magic.

This is at least the guideline I followed. If there is a way to compile modules that can be loaded with any kernel, please let me know.

With previous Pluto versions I had tough times when compiling, because kernel source were difficult to find and kernel headers were totally missing on Pluto repository.
In this situation it was nearly impossible to compile those modules (at least for a rookie like me).
When pluto guys managed to reload headers on their repository things went much better.
The procedure that I pointed in my previous post worked (with minor changes ... it is not exactly a copy-and-paste one), and basically works also now.

If this is similar to your problem and you need some other info just ask me, I'll be happy to support you

Regards
Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 07:16:29 pm »
Hi Rob

HTH
Regards
Marco

Hi,

could you please just post your compiling notes? My described way seem to be a bit deporecated...

So I wonder what is shortest way to recompile identical kernel as pluto is using it now....

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 10:24:05 pm »
Hi Rob

here we go with my compiling notes. I don't know whether this is the most elegant way, but surely it worked for me.

First you have to install kernel source, headers and kbuild:

apt-get install kernel-source-2.6.13.2-vanilla-pluto-1-686
apt-get install kernel-headers-2.6.13.2-vanilla-pluto-1-686 2.6.13.2
apt-get install kernel-kbuild-2.6-3
cd /usr/src
tar -xjvf kernel-source-2.6.13.2-vanilla-pluto-1-686.tar.bz2

When you are done, do this:

ls -la /lib/modules/2.6.13.2-vanilla-pluto-1-686/

and check where "build" symlink is pointing to. In my box it was pointing to /home/src/linux-2.6.13.2, that is wrong. If this is also your case (and probably it is) correct the symlink and make it pointing to the newly installed kernel source directory:

rm /lib/modules/2.6.13.2-vanilla-pluto-1-686/build
ln -s /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.13.2-vanilla-pluto-1-686 /lib/modules/2.6.13.2-vanilla-pluto-1-686/build

Then (always from within /usr/src) do the following:

mkdir kernel-kbuild-2.6-4
cp -a kernel-source-2.6.13.2-vanilla-pluto-1-686/scripts kernel-kbuild-2.6-4/
ln -s kernel-source-2.6.13.2-vanilla-pluto-1-686/include/ kernel-kbuild-2.6-4

I don't know if this is strictly needed, but before compiling I made also a "make menuconfig" from within the kernel source dir, just to be sure that a valid .config was there.

Now you are set up and ready to compile your modules.
Go to your pwc source directory and do the following:

KDIR=/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.13.2-vanilla-pluto-1-686 make -f Makefile -e

In my case this worked at first shot.

I compiled also another module (ndiswrapper), and in that case the previous command line gave me some compile errors. Issuing a normal "make" did anyway the trick.

So depending on particular Makefile you may have to choose different compiling command.

That's all, folks

I hope that these note may help you.

If not, let me know .. if you feel that it may help I could get pwc source and try to compile it on my box.

Regards
Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 12:05:33 pm »
Hi Rob

here we go with my compiling notes. I don't know whether this is the most elegant way, but surely it worked for me.

That's all, folks

I hope that these note may help you.

If not, let me know .. if you feel that it may help I could get pwc source and try to compile it on my box.

Regards
Marco

Hi,

I followed your procedure but obviously I did something wrong.

Anyway, this procedure worked for me :

apt-get install kernel-source-2.6.13.2-vanilla-pluto-1-686
apt-get install kernel-headers-2.6.13.2-vanilla-pluto-1-686 2.6.13.2
apt-get install kernel-kbuild-2.6-3
cd /usr/src
tar -xjvf kernel-source-2.6.13.2-vanilla-pluto-1-686.tar.bz2

ls -la /lib/modules/2.6.13.2-vanilla-pluto-1-686/

rm /lib/modules/2.6.13.2-vanilla-pluto-1-686/build
ln -s /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.13.2-vanilla-pluto-1-686 /lib/modules/2.6.13.2-vanilla-pluto-1-686/build

#patch for kernel, but wasn't used
#wget http://www.saillard.org/linux/pwc/patches/linux-2.6.13_pwc-10.0.8.patch.bz2
rm linux
ln -s kernel-source-2.6.13.2-vanilla-pluto-1-686 linux
cd linux

#bzcat ../linux-2.6.13_pwc-10.0.8.patch.bz2 | patch -p1

make menuconfig
make dep
make clean

wget http://www.saillard.org/linux/pwc/files/pwc-10.0.7a.tar.bz2
tar xjf pwc-10.0.7a.tar.bz2
cd pwc-10.0.7a
make
find /lib/modules/`uname -r`/ -name "pwc*.ko*"
#found : /lib/modules/2.6.13.2-vanilla-pluto-1-686/kernel/drivers/usb/media/pwc/pwc.ko
mv /lib/modules/2.6.13.2-vanilla-pluto-1-686/kernel/drivers/usb/media/pwc/pwc.ko /lib/modules/2.6.13.2-vanilla-pluto-1-686/kernel/drivers/usb/media/pwc/pwc.ko.orig
cp pwc.ko /lib/modules/2.6.13.2-vanilla-pluto-1-686/kernel/drivers/usb/media/pwc/pwc.ko
depmod -a

Now USB cameras are showing pictures, and that means that my video phone will also work.....

Thanks,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 09:33:29 pm »
Hi Rob,

I think you edited the post since this afternoon, because I read that you were experiencing a lot of compiling errors.

From what I saw it looked like some symlinks were missing.

I'm happy to see that anyway you solved your compiling issues.

Just for your info, I tried to compile the drivers shipped with pluto kernel.

I also wasn't able to compile them with KDIR=/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.13.2-vanilla-pluto-1-686 make -f Makefile -e, but I didn't get the huge error list that you got.

I was anyway able to compile them by issuing a simple "make".

I'm afraid that I could be missing something in my procedure, but I cannot figure out what it could be.

I hope that I didn't take you too far from the path ...

Regards
Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 09:57:05 pm »
Quote from: "anonymous"
Hi Rob,

I think you edited the post since this afternoon, because I read that you were experiencing a lot of compiling errors.

From what I saw it looked like some symlinks were missing.

I'm happy to see that anyway you solved your compiling issues.

Just for your info, I tried to compile the drivers shipped with pluto kernel.

I also wasn't able to compile them with KDIR=/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.13.2-vanilla-pluto-1-686 make -f Makefile -e, but I didn't get the huge error list that you got.

I was anyway able to compile them by issuing a simple "make".

I'm afraid that I could be missing something in my procedure, but I cannot figure out what it could be.

I hope that I didn't take you too far from the path ...

Regards
Marco

Hi,

well I'm also not sure what went wrong (I suspect that make clean did the trick, cause I also had some older compiled kernel sources)...

I know it's always hard to recreate whole procedure, specially when it's not clean and one had to solve problems on the way....

I'll have to solve Lirc and ivtv problem and then my setup will kind of work again...

Regards,

Rob.