sorry for the long post , i didn't want to make 9 posts since some of the Q's are just yes or no. Here are my newbie questions, I did search (a lot) and have been lurking for a while, but just need to clarify a few things before I drop some $ on new hardware. So far I have this installed and running:
Room 1: LMCE Core/Hybrid Intel 3.0ghz, 1 gb RAM, dvd drive,
Edtv plasma 480p (with rs232 not yet used) and a 5.1 receiver, no ir blasting yet.
Room2: LMCE MD intel 1.1 ghz, 512 mb ram
720p projector, 5.1 receiver
LMCE so far works fine, streams from the dvd drive, stored dvds and downloaded movies, pics, and music.
I Plan to stream local hd (qam) and analog cable to both rooms. And will buy the following:
Add to room 1 / core -Hdhomerun, Hauppauge wintv-500 kit, GO 2.4 Optical Air Mouse, nvidia 6200 128mb pci ( not pci-e)
Add room 2 / MD, hauppauge remote and IR blaster from above kit, nvidia 6200 128mb agp.
1. Can I use my old xbox mce( not 360) to stream live tv or at least watch the non hd movies from my LMCE PVR? No talking about xbox booting up as a MD, but just accessing the PVR files, better question may be can a non LMCE device such as a windows box acccess the PVR files, if so is this practical. The current XMCE interface rocks and it automatically accesses windows shares.
2. If I save a file/movie to pvr or copy it or download at HD resolution and want to watch it on a non HD capable tv through a weaker MD that lacks HD support/outputs, say an old laptop, will LMCE down convert it and play it or is it not possible?
3. Will the Hauppauge mce remote and IR reader will work on the md even though the Hauppauge card is in the core/hybrid.
4. Will this setup allow full 1080p steaming and playback down the road from broadcast/blueray/hddvd, assuming the nvidias I buy have at least 128 onboard? Some forum posts stated hd tv is choppy, I’m looking for a smooth picture.
5. Does the pvr storage space have to be local to the core via sata/ide/usb or can it store on an xp file server somewhere else on the network. If so are there any performance issue and should the file server be on the external home network or the private LMCE 192.168.80.x. MD network.
6. What network should the HDHOMERUN be on, the external or the private LMCE 192.168.80.x network.
7. I should be able to run full HD up to 1080p over vga/ HD15 connector? Is there any reason to seek hdmi or dvi for just video I fully understand the differneces of the cables, but if both my plasma and projector have VGA/HD15 connectors I see no reason not tio use them for the short runs of less then 15 feet. Are there any clear advantages that I’m not aware of?
8. Universal remotes. I have a Logitech harmony programmable. Can I use this, it has to be programmed to control a device, LMCE isn’t in the supported devices list (lol) so how can I program LMCE to use this if the remote has to be programmed itself. Is there a generic device that I should program to that has been tested and works? Does this make any sense?
9. Does any one know of a cheap as dirt audio solution for optical or coaxial output that is supported maybe even USB. I looks like the only none-onboard solution in wiki is the SB Live card , but its listed as stereo only and S/PDIF is unreliable. I don’t want to upgrade the MBs if they provide everything else and work fine.