Author Topic: Amarok and DigiKam support  (Read 4225 times)

Ebbo

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Amarok and DigiKam support
« on: May 21, 2007, 10:58:18 am »
After the decission to integrate with KDE it would be really nice to integrate some of the "basic" kde apps, like Amarok and DigiKam as Library Backends.
Amarok and DigiKam are great in Editing, Sorting, Tagging the Files.

The cooles thing would be to have all Libraries in the local Network to be automatically configured and shared, so i always can access my media from anywhere in the house.

UPNP might be a good approach.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 11:07:44 am by Ebbo »

talmage

• View Profile
Re: Amarok and DigiKam support
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 06:29:09 am »
I'd like to see this, too.  I use Amarok regularly and Digikam daily.

I'd settle for using the image searching, tagging, and displaying parts of Digikam.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 01:47:41 pm »
Go to: Advanced > KDE Desktop and voila!  All the KDE apps you want.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 02:11:15 pm »
hopefully it will at some time be possible to 'link' directly to wanted apps from the UI, it may bring up the desktop, but it would seem (as with firefox allready) that it really is not necesarry to pull up the full KDE desktop (is that 'X'?) to use a single application (I don't know)?

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 04:37:30 pm »
hopefully it will at some time be possible to 'link' directly to wanted apps from the UI, it may bring up the desktop, but it would seem (as with firefox allready) that it really is not necesarry to pull up the full KDE desktop (is that 'X'?) to use a single application (I don't know)?

X is the basic display system that runs on top of the OS and its video drivers. The KDE desktop is an app (collection of apps) built on top of X (with some middle layers, like a Window Manager). Firefox and other apps built for the Desktop can run on just the Window Manager, without the Desktop, if those apps don't require any of the Desktop apps running to run themselves. Sometimes these apps can use just the Desktop libraries installed on the machine, and call them directly, without actually calling the Desktop apps themselves (that is how apps from "the other Desktop", like GNOME, can run in one's primary Desktop, though their visual styles will usually be inconsistent). And sometimes these apps can run directly on X without even the Window Manager. X offers more than just app access to the display systems: it also offers complete "network transparency", which means any machine with X can be the display for any other networked machine with X just as completely as the display can run on the same machine as what's displayed (provided the network and both machines are fast enough to keep up). Though I'm not sure whether the Orbiter works that way, it's one way that Unix/Linux machines have offered "follow me" and other similar remote control/processing for decades, and offload display processing for a faster "headless" machine and a more lightweight display machine.

So there's several ways to give LMCE direct access to other apps installed on any of its machines. But I'd prefer to see "Generic App" available as a Media Type, so it's all consistent and simple.