Author Topic: Attaching USB harddrive to CORE - see it on the network?  (Read 2522 times)

alphapenguin

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Attaching USB harddrive to CORE - see it on the network?
« on: December 06, 2007, 11:11:49 pm »
I hope someone here can help me out, since I am having a bear of a time finding it through the WIKI and forum.  I have External USB Hard Drive enclosure that I have been using to store all my DIVX movies mp3s etc (NTFS) and I figured I could connect it to my CORE and be able to retreive the files on any computer via the network.  Problem is I cant seem to find the drives anywhere. Unless I am booted in Ubuntu using my main desktop in my office (cant see it in XP).  Is there somethign specific I am supposed to do?

Any thoughts would be great.  Also has anyone found it a little difficult/complicated to view movies/files etc through the LinuxMCE gui on attached storage devices?

Thanks,
Alex

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Attaching USB harddrive to CORE - see it on the network?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 02:26:18 am »
I think you might want to search this forum for NTFS, as I recall there were some issues reported with that.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 09:46:14 am »
Indeed, LMCE 704 can not write to a NTFS partition.
I suspect 710 can, but that's still some time away.
Either put the disk on a windows machine in your network and share it (this is what I have done), wait for 710 or change the disk to ext3 or FAT32 format.

alphapenguin

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 09:48:13 pm »
thanks all, i completely forgot that 7.04 couldnt write to NTFS partitions (since i've updated to ubuntu 7.10) and MCE has yet to catch up.  I am not sure if that is the true cause, but good enough reason for me. I will see what I can find, and thanks for the input.