Author Topic: Where is the terminal?  (Read 2556 times)

kingjos

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Where is the terminal?
« on: December 06, 2007, 05:51:43 am »
Can someone tell me where I can find the terminal prompt on a dedicated core machine?  The only thing that shows up when the machine starts is the Linux MCE Launch Manager and nothing else.

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Where is the terminal?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 05:58:30 am »
In (K)Ubuntu (which LMCE is installed on top of), you can press <Ctrl><Alt><F1> (or F2, F3, F4) to get a textmode screen that offers a login shell. You can press <Alt><F7> from there to restart the X session that I presume will return you to the undisturbed (except by the results of any commands you execute in the login shell) LMCE Launch Manager window,. Though I've never tried it on any machine but a hybrid (ie. including an Orbiter) - but the <Ctrl><Alt><Fn> for the login should always work, and <Alt><F7> should return you to the X screen you had stopped.

There might be other ways to start a terminal in the Launch Manager's X session, but the way I described should work. You can also ssh into the core from a remote machine on the network.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 08:41:35 pm by Matthew »

DeadPenguin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 06:32:59 am »
Matthew is right. You can get to the shell by the means he described above.
If you are hybrid you can just launch KDE.
so ctrl+alt+f2 then login and you have a prompt. I use it to run ifconfig - lspci - ping etc.. This prompt puts the full power of Linux in your hands. (wish I knew more than basic commands.)

Regards,
Blair

andy90

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 09:42:50 pm »
Or go to 'advanced' 'kde desktop' then run terminal like that?  Bit easier, also to return to session just click on apps on the bottom.

(I think this is right description, I dont have it running at the moment)