Author Topic: linuxmce hardware database  (Read 14867 times)

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: linuxmce hardware database
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2007, 03:22:52 am »
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=3453.msg18017#msg18017

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=3423.msg17698#msg17698

so what really makes me angry is not your questioning or ignoring documentation. Its taking something for a promise whats really hard work for other people they do for free.

OK, this is going nowhere. I don't see you able to actually disagree with any facts I post. You just portray my asking a question about something that's not documented (in the forums, wiki or Mantis), like DLNA as "ignoring documentation". And changing the "promise" I cited from the wiki page about sqlCVS+GSD (which describes the system working in the present tense) to a promise from you, which I did not imply just by asking in a forum in which you participate whether it's done yet. Let's not get defensive about criticisms not actually pointed at us, but rather at the legacy we've inherited.

What I suspect is that you're even more frustrated than I am about the incomplete and misleading degree of documentation and code that the LMCE project presented as complete when each of you and I arrived here, because you've been working hard to complete it, it's not quite done, and I'm just asking the kinds of questions that others asked something like a month before I did, but haven't produced conclusive answers to yet, either. We're all doing what we can with what we've got: an extremely promising kinda-working platform, that's incompletely documented (including some marketing speak about incomplete features), that has attracted some good new coders and a community dedicated to making it work.

Look, we're all working together. You have already been working on the code for some time longer than I have. I'm just getting started, while LMCE isn't even worth installing for my own use cases yet. But it's rapidly coming together. It would come together faster if we all worked together better, which is one of my main priorities until I can be more productive myself in straight coding. Let's move past this wasteful conflict, and just help each other out with insights and code. That's the only work that counts.

You sure need a lot of words to state the obvious.

If that were at all obvious  to the people arguing with me about it, or obvious enough that people acted accordingly, then this argument wouldn't have even started. Why you want to perpetuate it purely as argument, as you just did, is a mystery.

I for one take offence to nonsense like: "while LMCE isn't even worth installing for my own use cases yet" while many people here are using it for production systems in the mean time.  This project isn't here to cater to your needs exclusively, try to keep that in mind.
You can invent reasons for offense all you want. What's also obvious is that I said "my own use cases", which is the only reason anyone works on a project like this. It's obvious that I didn't say anyone should cater to my needs exclusively, except perhaps myself. Even though I'm not, because I can tell that LMCE will work for me once the 0710 version is released with its reported bugfixes to bugs that currently interfere with my use case, and reports that make my working on them redundant.

You want it short? I'm doing what I can while I can, working towards being able to do more once there's more documentation and a better release. Just like everyone else, though my use cases are different (just like everyone else). That should all be obvious, but if you're going to see it through some kind of need to pick a fight, I'll spell it out for you at length. Because I want to work together, not just flap my gums to create problems where there should be none, or oversimplify to exaggerate nonexistent problems.

So basicly you are saying that you haven't even bothered installing lmce yourself and yet you feel the need to bore us with these long winded posts telling everyone how things should or should not be done?

No, I installed 0704 before I ever posted. That doesn't mean it was worth installing for the use I thought it would after watching the demo video, but it was impossible to find that out without trying it. And, once I tried it, I was able to see that it's worth working with until it does do that. Even if it means getting into these offtopic squabbles you insist on firing up.

Now here's a clear message: go back to working on LMCE, instead of picking idiotic fights with me that you can't win.

So what would you like me to work on next oh almighty visionair?
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 04:28:01 pm »

Reading comprehension.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2007, 11:39:34 pm »

Reading comprehension.
You have trouble reading things with LMCE then?  Just let me know what you don't understand and I'll try and explain it to you slowly.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 11:46:25 pm by Zaerc »
-- Anonymous

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 03:56:36 am »

Reading comprehension.
You have trouble reading things with LMCE then?  Just let me know what you don't understand and I'll try and explain it to you slowly.

OK, if we're done arguing, then I'd like to see the GSD/sqlCVS system up and running, just like you would.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2007, 01:30:54 pm »

Reading comprehension.

OK, if we're done arguing, then I'd like to see the GSD/sqlCVS system up and running, just like you would.
Indeed, only difference is that I can actually be bothered to put some effort into it myself instead of sitting on my arse whinging about my ps3 and "use cases" whilst writing large essays telling everybody how things should have been done to fascilitate my personal needs.
-- Anonymous

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2007, 01:57:40 pm »
Hi to you all,

Look the squabbling going on here between you is not productive ;-)

All of you make an incredible contribution here in so many ways... and LinuxMCE needs people like you. But we also need to make sure that all that good energy is not dissipated by arguing about everything all the time. Lets try and take a measured view, look at each others positions... respect them for that they are and rather than argue pull together. If you firmly don't agree then make your point and then leave it.

Just my neutral perspective on things... ;-)
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2007, 02:00:51 pm »
yes, please.. this thread has gone to shit!

can we get back on topic?

-Thom

mrbean

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2007, 08:58:59 pm »
Back to the topic of this thread.......  If anyone's interested I could setup a database and webpage for LMCE users to fill in their hardware details of known working hardware, such as GFX cards, Tuners etc....

Would it be preferable that people would enter their entire system details, like so:
eg:

Core:
Motherboard
CPU
GFX Card
LAN Card
RAM
and so on.........

Media Director:
Motherboard
CPU
GFX Card
LAN Card
RAM
and so on.........

Or just indivual pieces of hardware?

Or you could have both options.  You either add one piece of specific hardware to the database, or you can add details of an entire system: CORE, HYBRID, or MD.

Any thoughts?

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2007, 09:33:17 pm »
It's preferable that people add their hardware to the wiki as described here: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Adding_your_own_hardware with the rest of the known hardware.
-- Anonymous

mrbean

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2007, 09:41:38 pm »
OK.  No problem.
Just thought I'd offer...
At least it'll all be in one place on the wiki.  :)