Author Topic: linuxmce hardware database  (Read 14875 times)

marrandy

• Guru
    • View Profile
linuxmce hardware database
« on: December 05, 2007, 11:04:39 pm »
Hello.

Can the web page organisers set up a linuxmce hardware database like they have in mythtv

http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/tiki-pvrhwdb.php

This let's people add their hardware in a table format that is searchable.

Thanks.

Regards...Martin

PS.  Or perhaps we could use theirs as they allow freevo. MultiMedia-box, ebox and others.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 11:07:43 pm by marrandy »

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: linuxmce hardware database
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 06:01:21 am »
Not exactly the same, but is the distributed database of GSD interfaces described as supported in "A new concept in collaborative development" actually up and running at all like it's promised?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 10:43:17 pm »
if you follow the dev list, you'd know that we are in the process of getting sqlCVS working.. We had to figure out how to (a) use it, and even moreso (b) how to maintain it.

-Thom

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 04:13:56 pm »
Not exactly the same, but is the distributed database of GSD interfaces described as supported in "A new concept in collaborative development" actually up and running at all like it's promised?
who promised you what?

I thought you were reading the developer forums (at least you post there)? We are spending much effort into getting this running and documenting the process. There was a call for testers, too.

I wish you would realize that it is hard work to enable features for users. I have no problem spending evenings and weekends to improve our all experience with LMCE, but your redundant posts ignoring the information in the forum and wiki does not help here.

regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 04:50:22 pm »
who promised you what?

I thought you were reading the developer forums (at least you post there)? We are spending much effort into getting this running and documenting the process. There was a call for testers, too.

I wish you would realize that it is hard work to enable features for users. I have no problem spending evenings and weekends to improve our all experience with LMCE, but your redundant posts ignoring the information in the forum and wiki does not help here.

regards,
Hari

Who promised me that? The wiki to which I linked, in no uncertain terms. Now, it might not be delivering. Or, it might be delivering only at great effort, including yours. But this is a feature request forum.

I'm really getting annoyed at your attacks on my merely asking status questions in forums where that's perfectly appropriate without requiring some development input. I've been putting good amounts of time into improving this project myself, despite having to wait for 0710 (that was promised for a delivery that's about 150% overdue, with no update from the developers who promised its deadline would be met). I have to wait because its current bugs, mainly in jukebox operation, prevent me from using it in my primary use case, and the opacity of the development project prevents me from helping fix it (unknown buggy source files, plus redundancy of effort since leaked details say the fixes are already done, but not released as the whole project is not yet complete). So in the meantime I test what I can, post bug reports, help discuss technical issues, test and clean up the wiki.

And ask questions on non-developer forums. Which sometimes get me talked into starting some actual development where I can. Including on GSD - I'm exploring feasibility of adding Perl to GSD scripting support, just like you badgered me into.

But asking a question brings no obligation for correcting an unsatisfactory answer. Either from me, the questioner, or even you, a developer. Especially when I'm not demanding you do anything, nor even asking in a development list where I should be a developer for posting.

So get off my back already. This is an open source project. We're all doing what we can to help. Your attacks are just discouraging, while I'm trying to help.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 05:29:21 pm »
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=3453.msg18017#msg18017

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=3423.msg17698#msg17698

so what really makes me angry is not your questioning or ignoring documentation. Its taking something for a promise whats really hard work for other people they do for free.

hari
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 05:31:21 pm by hari »
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 05:50:31 pm »

so what really makes me angry is not your questioning or ignoring documentation. Its taking something for a promise whats really hard work for other people they do for free.

hari

And without any support from the pluto people that originally wrote that wiki page, if I may add.
-- Anonymous

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 05:56:06 pm »

OK, this is going nowhere. I don't see you able to actually disagree with any facts I post. You just portray my asking a question about something that's not documented (in the forums, wiki or Mantis), like DLNA as "ignoring documentation". And changing the "promise" I cited from the wiki page about sqlCVS+GSD (which describes the system working in the present tense) to a promise from you, which I did not imply just by asking in a forum in which you participate whether it's done yet. Let's not get defensive about criticisms not actually pointed at us, but rather at the legacy we've inherited.

What I suspect is that you're even more frustrated than I am about the incomplete and misleading degree of documentation and code that the LMCE project presented as complete when each of you and I arrived here, because you've been working hard to complete it, it's not quite done, and I'm just asking the kinds of questions that others asked something like a month before I did, but haven't produced conclusive answers to yet, either. We're all doing what we can with what we've got: an extremely promising kinda-working platform, that's incompletely documented (including some marketing speak about incomplete features), that has attracted some good new coders and a community dedicated to making it work.

Look, we're all working together. You have already been working on the code for some time longer than I have. I'm just getting started, while LMCE isn't even worth installing for my own use cases yet. But it's rapidly coming together. It would come together faster if we all worked together better, which is one of my main priorities until I can be more productive myself in straight coding. Let's move past this wasteful conflict, and just help each other out with insights and code. That's the only work that counts.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 06:30:07 pm »

OK, this is going nowhere. I don't see you able to actually disagree with any facts I post. You just portray my asking a question about something that's not documented (in the forums, wiki or Mantis), like DLNA as "ignoring documentation". And changing the "promise" I cited from the wiki page about sqlCVS+GSD (which describes the system working in the present tense) to a promise from you, which I did not imply just by asking in a forum in which you participate whether it's done yet. Let's not get defensive about criticisms not actually pointed at us, but rather at the legacy we've inherited.

What I suspect is that you're even more frustrated than I am about the incomplete and misleading degree of documentation and code that the LMCE project presented as complete when each of you and I arrived here, because you've been working hard to complete it, it's not quite done, and I'm just asking the kinds of questions that others asked something like a month before I did, but haven't produced conclusive answers to yet, either. We're all doing what we can with what we've got: an extremely promising kinda-working platform, that's incompletely documented (including some marketing speak about incomplete features), that has attracted some good new coders and a community dedicated to making it work.

Look, we're all working together. You have already been working on the code for some time longer than I have. I'm just getting started, while LMCE isn't even worth installing for my own use cases yet. But it's rapidly coming together. It would come together faster if we all worked together better, which is one of my main priorities until I can be more productive myself in straight coding. Let's move past this wasteful conflict, and just help each other out with insights and code. That's the only work that counts.

You sure need a lot of words to state the obvious. 

I for one take offence to nonsense like: "while LMCE isn't even worth installing for my own use cases yet" while many people here are using it for production systems in the mean time.  This project isn't here to cater to your needs exclusively, try to keep that in mind.
-- Anonymous

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 06:38:40 pm »

If that were at all obvious  to the people arguing with me about it, or obvious enough that people acted accordingly, then this argument wouldn't have even started. Why you want to perpetuate it purely as argument, as you just did, is a mystery.

I for one take offence to nonsense like: "while LMCE isn't even worth installing for my own use cases yet" while many people here are using it for production systems in the mean time.  This project isn't here to cater to your needs exclusively, try to keep that in mind.
You can invent reasons for offense all you want. What's also obvious is that I said "my own use cases", which is the only reason anyone works on a project like this. It's obvious that I didn't say anyone should cater to my needs exclusively, except perhaps myself. Even though I'm not, because I can tell that LMCE will work for me once the 0710 version is released with its reported bugfixes to bugs that currently interfere with my use case, and reports that make my working on them redundant.

You want it short? I'm doing what I can while I can, working towards being able to do more once there's more documentation and a better release. Just like everyone else, though my use cases are different (just like everyone else). That should all be obvious, but if you're going to see it through some kind of need to pick a fight, I'll spell it out for you at length. Because I want to work together, not just flap my gums to create problems where there should be none, or oversimplify to exaggerate nonexistent problems.

msimoens

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 06:51:13 pm »
Hello.

Can the web page organisers set up a linuxmce hardware database like they have in mythtv

Thanks.

Regards...Martin

PS.  Or perhaps we could use theirs as they allow freevo. MultiMedia-box, ebox and others.

Back to what was originally posted, a table format that is searchable is easy to do with plain php and mySQL so it is something that is feasible.

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 07:19:01 pm »

(...)

Back to what was originally posted, a table format that is searchable is easy to do with plain php and mySQL so it is something that is feasible.

Why don't you start a wiki page that does exactly that, even if the table's data is empty? Maybe even by just copy/pasting that MythTV table (with a note on MythTV version and link to the original page). That effort would make it more likely that people would answer your request by improving that wiki page, even just a little at a time. And put it in a format that you like - because you made it.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 02:19:09 am »

If that were at all obvious  to the people arguing with me about it, or obvious enough that people acted accordingly, then this argument wouldn't have even started. Why you want to perpetuate it purely as argument, as you just did, is a mystery.

You can invent reasons for offense all you want. What's also obvious is that I said "my own use cases", which is the only reason anyone works on a project like this. It's obvious that I didn't say anyone should cater to my needs exclusively, except perhaps myself. Even though I'm not, because I can tell that LMCE will work for me once the 0710 version is released with its reported bugfixes to bugs that currently interfere with my use case, and reports that make my working on them redundant.

You want it short? I'm doing what I can while I can, working towards being able to do more once there's more documentation and a better release. Just like everyone else, though my use cases are different (just like everyone else). That should all be obvious, but if you're going to see it through some kind of need to pick a fight, I'll spell it out for you at length. Because I want to work together, not just flap my gums to create problems where there should be none, or oversimplify to exaggerate nonexistent problems.

So basicly you are saying that you haven't even bothered installing lmce yourself and yet you feel the need to bore us with these long winded posts telling everyone how things should or should not be done?
-- Anonymous

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 03:14:48 am »

So basicly you are saying that you haven't even bothered installing lmce yourself and yet you feel the need to bore us with these long winded posts telling everyone how things should or should not be done?

No, I installed 0704 before I ever posted. That doesn't mean it was worth installing for the use I thought it would after watching the demo video, but it was impossible to find that out without trying it. And, once I tried it, I was able to see that it's worth working with until it does do that. Even if it means getting into these offtopic squabbles you insist on firing up.

Now here's a clear message: go back to working on LMCE, instead of picking idiotic fights with me that you can't win.