Author Topic: New .40 install, MDs not working  (Read 2913 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
New .40 install, MDs not working
« on: August 29, 2006, 04:30:24 am »
Heya guys-

So Im new to the whole pluto setup, so forgive me for asking basic questions. However, I cannot get the test setup to work. There seems to be several issues:

1. A diskless MD that I am using is an Asus Terminator, which requires the use of the skge driver for its ethernet. I do see that the distro does have the skge driver installed, but its not going to the MD. When booting from the setup CD on the MD, I see that the setup program does correctly identify the ethernet, and uses the skge module, so I know its on the core system also. When booting the MD from the core (diskless), it hangs at not being able to find a driver.

As a work around, I placed a PCI ethernet in the MD, and setup a second MD in the core config (though it is the same physical MD computer). I then rebooted the MD, and it first boots PXE off the native ethernet, then loads the PCI driver, and gets a the DHCP IP for the PCI ethernet. It then says "we announced ourselves to the router. use a orbiter to continue", and gives the IP of the PCI ethernet. However, using the windows orbiter, I cannot seem to control the MD.

As a third test, I setup a completely different (temporary) system as a MD for the core. I again setup the MD in the core, and booted off of PXE. It does see the ethernet, and has no issues booting to the same announcement screen above. However again, the windows orbitor does not seem to be able to control the device. I see no mention of any activity on the MD, nor do I see myth or any other app starting on the MD. I assume that myth would be on the only video output of this machine - the standard 15-pin computer monitor video out. (even if not, I do wish to set it up this way)

I do see a consistent error message during bootup of the MDs (both the permanent one and the temporary one): "trynfs: no nfsroot on command line or DHCP reply"

As I see it, there are 2 distinct issues here:

- Getting any MD to actually do something useful.

- Getting the skge driver to the permament MD.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
New .40 install, MDs not working
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 03:35:36 pm »
Hi.

I'm new as well.

Have you upgraded/re-installed 0.41 ?

plutohome is a moving target.