Author Topic: Intel G33 graphic support  (Read 4143 times)

kiwiMCE

• View Profile
Intel G33 graphic support
« on: December 04, 2007, 10:52:09 pm »
First of all, what an awesome project!

The demo video is amazing! Finally a decent Media Centre, and under a Linux distro as well.

Now the gripes.

I am probably doing this all wrong, but there is no way I can get support for my Intel onboard G33 graphic chip with 3d and decent res, and the "standard IR remote that came with my hauppauge TV card is not recognised.

Also as we are in the dark ages here in NZ, I can't get the Cable TV box I am forced to use for decent reception to be recognised.

I was hoping to get the promised 7.1 compatible version this month, thinking that this may solve all my problems, but so far nothing. All I have is a rather expensive, although attractive paperweight on the desk.

Any ideas how I can resolve these issues?

I have googled until I am more confused than before!

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Intel G33 graphic support
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 11:48:10 pm »
First of all, what an awesome project!

The demo video is amazing! Finally a decent Media Centre, and under a Linux distro as well.

Now the gripes.

I am probably doing this all wrong, but there is no way I can get support for my Intel onboard G33 graphic chip with 3d and decent res, and the "standard IR remote that came with my hauppauge TV card is not recognised.

Also as we are in the dark ages here in NZ, I can't get the Cable TV box I am forced to use for decent reception to be recognised.

I was hoping to get the promised 7.1 compatible version this month, thinking that this may solve all my problems, but so far nothing. All I have is a rather expensive, although attractive paperweight on the desk.

Any ideas how I can resolve these issues?

I have googled until I am more confused than before!

1. save yourself some headache, and get an nvidia 6xxx card.

2. can you tell us which Hauppauge card you are using?

3. how are you controlling the cable box?

please be more descriptive about your setup and problems, otherwise we can't help you.

-Thom

kiwiMCE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 05:50:22 am »
Hi Thom,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I guess I knew in my heart that this Intel chipset was gonna be a pain! Just hoping against hope, it comes standard on the Shuttle and at least on paper it is a decent card!

I am using the Hauppauge 150MCE pci card, and have only one slot spare on the MOBO, a PCI16 graphics slot. That's another pain with the small formfactor Shuttle express, but therein lies another story!

I am thinking of controlling the cable box with an IR blaster (the remote receiver has one with it)

Other specs:

Shuttle XPC Mini-ATX board with Intel G33 onboard
500Gb Hitachi SATA HDD
2Gb Kingston 2DDR RAM
Intel Core DUO Processor 2.4Gb

Cable TV via Telstra Clear Cable box on RCA connectors (S-video coming when I get a chance to buy the cable!)

Potentially Bluetooth Orbiter to Sony Ericsson phone if I can figure that out later (it is not Windoze phone or a symbian unfortunately)

Other frontends will have to connect via wireless at a later date once I find a decent USB wireless dongle that Ubuntu can see!

Cheers for the help guys, I still think this is an awesome project. I have seen plenty of Windoze "equivalents", but NOTHING like this!
Stoked that at least potentially I can get a decent media centre without infecting my network with Mr Gates's offerings ;)

Presently running the hardware on Mythbuntu, but it is nowhere near as nice as MCE

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 06:15:20 am »
if you're going to use a remote blaster, I highly recommend using a USB-UIRT for both transmit and recieve. It can deal with just about anything IR wise out there, and is supported perfectly in LinuxMCE/Pluto.

-Thom

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 10:45:16 am »
if you're going to use a remote blaster, I highly recommend using a USB-UIRT for both transmit and recieve. It can deal with just about anything IR wise out there, and is supported perfectly in LinuxMCE/Pluto.

-Thom

0710 will support IR blasting on the standard MCE IR Transceiver (ie the MS unit) so that would be another option... when its released ;-)
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

kiwiMCE

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 08:09:59 am »
Thanks guys for the replies and the encouragement. I've had a quick look on the Mantis and as I suspected, it looks like the 7.1 upgrade will be a major. Also looks like it is gonna get me UI2 and blaster on the hardware I have already, so I think I will save the $200 or so on the nVidia card and use it for a Zwave unit instead once the upgrade comes.

I am currently running a Mac mini in-car system, so once the 7.1 upgrade gets here I think I am gonna change off Mac OS to Linux MCE and then I can get the car alarm monitored via the frontend onto the house system when it is parked at home. I think that might be a first! Hahahahha. I know I had the first Mac in a car here in Kiwiland - it rocks!

Looking forward to the new release.

I'l post as soon as I have any more luck with the peripherals and, of course, add to the Wiki once I am sure things are stable.

Many, many thanks to the coders and developers out there.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 08:52:07 am »
Thanks guys for the replies and the encouragement. I've had a quick look on the Mantis and as I suspected, it looks like the 7.1 upgrade will be a major. Also looks like it is gonna get me UI2 and blaster on the hardware I have already, so I think I will save the $200 or so on the nVidia card and use it for a Zwave unit instead once the upgrade comes.

I am currently running a Mac mini in-car system, so once the 7.1 upgrade gets here I think I am gonna change off Mac OS to Linux MCE and then I can get the car alarm monitored via the frontend onto the house system when it is parked at home. I think that might be a first! Hahahahha. I know I had the first Mac in a car here in Kiwiland - it rocks!

Looking forward to the new release.

I'l post as soon as I have any more luck with the peripherals and, of course, add to the Wiki once I am sure things are stable.

Many, many thanks to the coders and developers out there.

Well the G33 chipset includes the GMA3100 graphics chip... on the basis that we are successfully running UI2 with overlay on the GMA3000 I would be pretty confident that the GMA3100 would be fine ;-)
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

Venom986

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 07:34:20 am »
Well the G33 chipset includes the GMA3100 graphics chip... on the basis that we are successfully running UI2 with overlay on the GMA3000 I would be pretty confident that the GMA3100 would be fine ;-)

totallymaxed, what accerlation are you using in the MediaDirectors entry in the admin website for the GMA3000?  It has defaulted me to xv acceleration and Standard Video for the video card.  Should I be changing these for optimal performance?