Author Topic: Wireless Card - Connection Problems [Solved]  (Read 2414 times)

Diskord

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Wireless Card - Connection Problems [Solved]
« on: December 04, 2007, 02:51:28 am »
Hello All,

Let me start by saying my total Linux experience amounts to installing Kubuntu and MCE. To say I am a noob would be a severe understatement.  I was looking to use a "spare" rig as a DVD player / Music player and stumbled across Linux MCE.

I installed Kubuntu/MCE from the CD's not the DVD. Kubuntu installation went perfectly. At that point I was able to connect to my network no problems. There was a "wireless network browser" equivalent button/icon on the tool bar, bottom right side. Selecting this button would sure show all available networks in the area.  As I indicated, I connected no problem at all. The shares from an XP Pro box were also found, good sign as thats where all my music resides.

Once I installed MCE however things changed. The MCE install seems to have killed the wireless connection, and I no longer have the button/icon to view the wireless networks. Settings -> Network still shows all nic interfaces, 2 wired, and the one wireless. However configuring the Wireless via that route does not appear to be an option as it only shows WEP for security, which will do me little good as I am using WPA.

The wireless card is a D-Link, DWL G550, though I am assuming this is an MCE related problem as everything seemed to be working perfectly prior to the MCE install.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 08:18:12 pm by Diskord »

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
Re: Wireless Card - Connection Problems
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 09:59:56 am »
Question: are you planning to use LMCE as a standalone media center with wireless?

Diskord

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Re: Wireless Card - Connection Problems
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 06:16:08 pm »
Question: are you planning to use LMCE as a standalone media center with wireless?

Yes.  Am I overlooking something else which would better serve my requirements?

I have all of my CD's ripped to a hard drive on my main system, and currently I have a old, seriously old, lap top which I have jacked into my HK receiver, to have to ability to pipe the music files into the living room.

I was planning on using the Linux MCE to replace the lap top as a music player, and use it to play DVD movies as well.  I may eventually use it to store DVD movies rather than simply play them, but that remains to be seen. I also may get a TV input card in the future, not very likely though, as I watch all of 30 minutes of TV a week....maybe less :P.

Unless I want to run some cat5 through the house from one side to the other, the connection needs to be wireless.

EDIT :

Wireless working again, though no clue why.

Now to get the windows shares recognized

« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 08:26:04 pm by Diskord »