Author Topic: KickStart CD hangs  (Read 8967 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
KickStart CD hangs
« on: September 28, 2005, 08:42:03 am »
Hi,

I downloaded the kickstart cd yesterday, burnt it to a CD and then booted my fresh AMD box (SATA drives and an IDE Dual DVD burner). Version 2.0.0.29 is the one I downladed.

The install logo screen appears and ask me to press enter for 2.6 kernel or enter "2.4" for 2.4 kernel install. I tried default for 2.6 and the install scrolls through to 91% where it hangs with:

"Loading Module 'sd_mod' for 'SCSI disk Support'...

I tried again using the 2.4 kernel but that hung on some ID and get another hang at : 81% install :

Loading Module 'ide-disk' for 'Linux ATA Disk'...

Can someone help ? This is a fresh new box with nothing installed. 2 SATA drives and a Dual DVD. DVD and disks are recognized by bios.

Thanks  :cry:

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
KickStart CD hangs
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 10:58:01 am »
You should be seeing something in the logs (consoles 3 and 4: Alt+F3, Alt+F4; installation takes place on console 1: Alt+F1).

Try chaning ATA settings in the BIOS. Some combinations work, some don't. If you try all possible ATA settings (mode of operation: Legacy, Enhanced; ATA ports: S-ATA only + keep P-ATA, P-ATA only + keep S-ATA, S-ATA + P-ATA, mapping of ports, etc.) and it still doesn't work, it's weird and I don't know what causes it. I have a machine here that locks when probing the CD-ROM with any combination of settings and haven't found a way around it.

We'll be releasing 2.0.0.30 these days. It uses a newer kernel. Maybe it fixes your problem (and hopefully doesn't introduce too many others).

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
KickStart CD hangs
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 03:43:45 pm »
Not quite the same thing, but I am also experiencing a hang on the CD. Mine gets past the CD ROM probe (IDE CD) but when it starts the partitioner, it hangs at 38% scanning the hard drives. I have one IDE hard drive and one SATA hard drive. When I unplug the SATA drive, the system installs just fine. (But I get a kernel panic when I plug in the SATA drive after install)

I'm still messing with the BIOS settings (getting ready to do a flash update), but haven't found a combination that works. (I'll also check the logs when I get home tonight)

MSI Neo-V with VIA VT8237 running the SATA.
Reading around the net indicates that an upcoming Debian release with kernel 2.6.13 would work with this chipset.

Question: What kernel version is on the next release of Pluto?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
KickStart CD hangs
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 07:16:54 am »
Quote from: "radu.c"
You should be seeing something in the logs (consoles 3 and 4: Alt+F3, Alt+F4; installation takes place on console 1: Alt+F1).

Try chaning ATA settings in the BIOS. Some combinations work, some don't. If you try all possible ATA settings (mode of operation: Legacy, Enhanced; ATA ports: S-ATA only + keep P-ATA, P-ATA only + keep S-ATA, S-ATA + P-ATA, mapping of ports, etc.) and it still doesn't work, it's weird and I don't know what causes it. I have a machine here that locks when probing the CD-ROM with any combination of settings and haven't found a way around it.

We'll be releasing 2.0.0.30 these days. It uses a newer kernel. Maybe it fixes your problem (and hopefully doesn't introduce too many others).

Hi,

on Alt+F3
insmod/lib/modules/2.6.8-2-386/kernel/drivers/scsi/sd_mod.ko
on Alt+F4
hw-detect: Trying to load module 'isofs'

This is where it seems to hang......

One thing I did notice is that when I turned support for APIC (Whatever that is) off in the bios then I got passed the network config to the partitioning of drives, but it said it could not recognize any drives on the system.....

I also do not seem to have the level of config in the Bios you mention...I am using Phoenix - Award Bios v6.00PG "(03/02/2005 For nForce Chipset"
Any further help would be appreciated...Any date on the .30 Pluto release ?

I have SMART SATA disabled.....again not sure what that does....?

Is the controller support in the Kernel then based on my nForceChipset or is there a seperate chipset for the SATA controller ? (Sorry been a while since I buit hardware!!)

Thanks.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
KickStart CD hangs
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 09:03:50 am »
Quote from: "anonymous"

The next CD will have kernel 2.6.12 in 1st stage install and 2.6.13.2 in the installation.

There's a machine here that gave a segmentation fault while loading "sata_via" when the BIOS's "MPS Revision" (MPS = Multi Processor Specifications?) setting was set to 1.4, but it worked ok when set to 1.1. All the others are set to 1.4 and don't cause problems. The next release won't have this problem as far as I can tell.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
KickStart CD hangs
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 08:00:39 am »
Quote from: "anonymous"

The next CD will have kernel 2.6.12 in 1st stage install and 2.6.13.2 in the installation.

There's a machine here that gave a segmentation fault while loading "sata_via" when the BIOS's "MPS Revision" (MPS = Multi Processor Specifications?) setting was set to 1.4, but it worked ok when set to 1.1. All the others are set to 1.4 and don't cause problems. The next release won't have this problem as far as I can tell.

Do you have a release date for the next release ?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
KickStart CD hangs
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 08:19:46 am »
version 2.0.0.30 was released few days ago

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Kickstart hangs no longer - But whree is the kernel source ?
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 10:34:22 pm »
Quote from: "dan.g"
version 2.0.0.30 was released few days ago

Version 2.0.0.30 sorted the issues - initially hung on 5% but once I turned APIC support off in bios it picked the new SATA drives up no problems...

If only my USB stick would be as easy to install (Belkin F5D7050) - currently trying out the RT2570 driver for this, but finding I need to get GNU Make etc fto build the module......currently stuck on how to get the pluto SRC so I can symbolic link as I get a "/lib/modules/26.13.2-vanilla-pluto-1-686/build: No such file or directory. Stop" when I try to "make" the RT2570 module.

It appears the build pointing to /home/src/linux-2.6.12.2 (but there is nothing below /home other than lost+found

Sorry not a brill Linux guy....just learning as I go...any clues?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
KickStart CD hangs
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2005, 08:54:04 am »
Kernel sources that you can actually use to build your modules are here: http://ftp://ftp.plutohome.com/pub/. You'll have to change the build and source links in /lib/modules/2.6.13.2-vanilla-pluto-1-686 to point to the directory in the archive.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
KickStart CD hangs
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2005, 10:22:54 pm »
Kernel sources that you can actually use to build your modules are here: http://ftp://ftp.plutohome.com/pub/. You'll have to change the build and source links in /lib/modules/2.6.13.2-vanilla-pluto-1-686 to point to the directory in the archive.

Hi,

Thanks this worked well for me...but you guys need to make this site more public....I still see no way to login to the SVN for plutp...any additional info for this.....

The soft links that needed to be changed to get modules to compile was a nice hint...I believe a few lines on how to do this is valuable for your efforts in your FAQ for any module build...given the new info I was able to build the driver for the rt2750 (native linux wireless driver so I believe) for my belkin wireless USB stick and get the driver to load (Tanks to the serialmonkey site).....also now configuring to get the WPSPSK to work on the linux box also..still only sees 11MB which seems odd...might be my Access Point setting ..I'll have to check......but just wanted to point out that the 2 lines of feedback got me over the issues I was having (even got to see what everyone means by a "Kernel Panic" !! ;)

Thanks again for the info....

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
KickStart CD hangs
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2005, 11:38:43 pm »
Quote from: "flowflow2"

Hi,

Thanks this worked well for me...but you guys need to make this site more public....I still see no way to login to the SVN for plutp...any additional info for this.....

The soft links that needed to be changed to get modules to compile was a nice hint...I believe a few lines on how to do this is valuable for your efforts in your FAQ for any module build...given the new info I was able to build the driver for the rt2750 (native linux wireless driver so I believe) for my belkin wireless USB stick and get the driver to load (Tanks to the serialmonkey site).....also now configuring to get the WPSPSK to work on the linux box also..still only sees 11MB which seems odd...might be my Access Point setting ..I'll have to check......but just wanted to point out that the 2 lines of feedback got me over the issues I was having (even got to see what everyone means by a "Kernel Panic" !! ;)

Thanks again for the info....

Well the journey of discovery continues...I got an IP address to be locally pinged via te new USB Stock, but on ifup I get  KERNEL PANIC.....so the searching led to a "Premptive" option in the kernel that I now need to turn off and rebuild the kernel......certainly more that I had bargained for...

ah well, here goes nothing...have to find out now how te kernel is rebuild easily....

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
KickStart CD hangs
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2005, 06:06:39 pm »
You don't log into SVN. It's public access. http://svn.plutohome.com/pluto/trunk. You can use both a SVN client and a browser on this URL. I thought this was written some place.. weird.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
KickStart CD hangs
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2005, 11:31:04 pm »
You don't log into SVN. It's public access. http://svn.plutohome.com/pluto/trunk. You can use both a SVN client and a browser on this URL. I thought this was written some place.. weird.

This location is public and on your site, the issue was when I tried to connect vefore it requested a username and password.......currently it does not now and I can browse it via http and also Tortiose SVN....Thanks to whoever fixed this ;)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
KickStart CD hangs
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2005, 09:12:34 am »
It asks you for user/pass when you try the base URL or when the repository copy fails for some reason or another.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
KickStart CD hangs
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2005, 04:57:47 pm »
Hi flowflow2

I'm also trying to make rt2570 to work, so if you succeed please post here some details on how to do it.

Thanks and regards
Marco