Author Topic: Sabayon Linux  (Read 3260 times)

torabian

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Sabayon Linux
« on: December 01, 2007, 12:49:13 am »
After installing MCE and getting it all working I decided to install Beryl for the laugh, fully expecting it to break MCE completely.

I found that other than a couple of minor quirks the 2 complimented each other quite nicely.

Sabayon would therefore seem like the perfect OS with MCE to me. They're both OpenGL front ends and they're both damn good products. An openGL driven desktop combined with openGL MCE could quite easily create something rather special I would have thought. Or am I just dreaming? ;D

dragon_788

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Sabayon Linux
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 09:12:44 am »
torabian, you do realize Sabayon is simply another Linux distro, and not a Debian based one (which all the *buntu's and LinuxMCE are based on). Beryl is nice for 3D effects and wow, but pointless for a production system or a home theater system IMO. If you could explain what features make it applicable to LinuxMCE or an HTPC I'm all ears, but including it "just to have it" makes no sense to me, there are other things the devs need to be worrying about.

BTW, Beryl has gone the way of the buffalo and is being replaced by compiz/compiz-fusion, which is included by default in Ubuntu 7.10, not sure about Kubuntu 7.10 but it wouldn't surprise me, so it might have some interaction with LinuxMCE after all.

DeadPenguin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Sabayon Linux
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 11:11:05 pm »

Sabayon is to Gentoo what Ubuntu is to Debian.(only you might actually be able to complete a working Debian install. A feat I have not been able to do with Gentoo)  I really like Sabayon (formerly RR64) and I look for the new releases just to check out the bleeding edge of Linux. I think Fabio has done a very good job exposing the everyday Linux enthusiast to the power of Linux.
It would be a toss up between portage and apt.
I would rather see a MCEbuntu than a whole new distro.

Regards,
Blair