Author Topic: Cannot get a screen on Media Director [SOLVED]  (Read 4564 times)

Peq

• View Profile
Cannot get a screen on Media Director [SOLVED]
« on: November 30, 2007, 08:12:35 am »
Hey Forum.

I have a problem that seems to be quite strange - regarding to me.
I have used MythTV for some time now - and have tried out PLuto for some time -. but having a huge problem with a mediaDirector. Normally there's haven't been any problems with the devices in my house.

I have installed the LinuxMCE DVD install on my Coreserver:
Dell Optiplex620 - With a hyperthread CPU P4.
My MD: Shuttle XPC with AMD +4600 CPU.

This is working just fine, and setting up the different parts in that machine.
But the next problem is the one, that's beeing bugging me for a week now.
I have a Shuttle XPC which I will need for my MD in my livingroom.  THis shuttle is connected to my TV with VGA.
THe adding MD part works like a charm,.
But after booting the MD the first time - I can see the bootmessager - untill it goes into a mode where is should display the onscreen-Orbitor, but then it goes into blank screen - unable to show the screen (out of area) - From where I look at it - the MD works fine - but not having the rigth settings for the screeen. I have changed the resolution on the bootimage - rebuild the image etc - but ending up the same place each time.
So if someone could tell me if I'm doing something wrong during the setup??? Caurse don't know why it goes into this displaymode.

After getting the CORE up and running - I go intyo Admin interface and adding the MD - by pressing setup DisklessMD. wait for it to finish. Reload the Core and boots on the MD. Should I on that time have added the TV ??? Or could you do it as a part of the process.

Well - if someone could tell me what to do exactly - so I don't do anything wrong from the start, opoint after point - I'll be glad - caurse my belief is that some I do is wrong since I don't get the rigth result ?? Since it each time goes into that mode - I must be doing something wrong or the onscreen orbitor for the MD isn't registered. Or the mistake is not adding the TV ??
Please advice on how to do this correctly!

Thanks
Peq

« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 12:23:00 pm by Peq »
greetings
/\/o place like 127.0.0.1

Per Jørgensen

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot get a screen on Media Director
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 09:49:54 am »
Har du prøvd å trykke nummertastene når du får blank skjerm?
Hvilket skjermkort er i barebonemaskinen?

(Have you tried the number buttons when you get the black screen? What is your video card?)

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 09:51:45 am »
Do you run the AV wizard on the monitor or the TV screen?
That part would be best done on the actual display medium.

Have you checked the Wiki?

robinelvin

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 11:55:23 am »
I've been a MythTV user for a couple of years now but this weekend I decided to blow the install away and give LinuxMCE a try.

I'm getting the same issue with the blank screen and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with the Media Directors. After the core was up and running I network-booted my Media Director (Athlon x64, nVidia 7300) which seemed to do its stuff OK. It took a while creating the OS image, rebooted and when it switched to graphical mode all I got was a blank screen. There was no output on either the SVideo or VGA connectors.

Any ideas on what's going on? Is just booting off the network all that is required or is there some configuration to do?

I'm hoping I can get this working as I've been looking forward to it and it seems I am so close.....

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Peq

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 12:22:36 pm »
Well - The problem was the nVidia driver where some was gone wrong during the install.
I reinstalled the nVidia graphic driver again from source - and afterwards rebuild the image.

Then the picture came on - IN A GREAT RESOLUTION. So Thanks for replying.

The only thing missing now is getting the onboard SPDIF sound working. It's allso an nVidia MCPS1 AC97. Works in KDE desktop - but not from LinuxMCE.

Per
greetings
/\/o place like 127.0.0.1

Per Jørgensen

robinelvin

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot get a screen on Media Director [SOLVED]
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 02:31:06 pm »
For me it was the xorg.conf video driver. I changed it from nv to nvidia and that fixed it without having to install the new driver - even on my 7300 card.

Now I'm getting the "cannot regenerate skin for orbiter message" but that's another problem.....  :'(