Author Topic: Network Help, Round 2  (Read 3768 times)

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
Network Help, Round 2
« on: November 27, 2007, 08:10:31 pm »
Let me begin by saying that right now my linuxmce is working other than a problem with keyboard/mouse (in another post)..  so what I'm wanting to know is if my settings are fine the way they are, or should I change them/tweak them to make them any better...

I have a hybrid that happens to be no where close to my internet router and only has one network drop.. during setup I chose to enable the dhcp server using the subnet of my existing network...  with a static ip address of 192.168.1.2 because my internet router is 192.168.1.1...  I disabled the dhcp server on my internet router and pointed it to the dhcp server on linuxmce which is the aforementioned 192.168.1.2 address..  I of course used the 1.1 address as my gateway on linuxmce..

After install I looked at the network settings in linuxmce through the web panel and noticed that it still assigned 2 addresses, one for the external network (192.168.1.2, the address I statically assigned during setup) and an internal address all on the same eth0 interface, although it called the interface eth0.0 (192.168.1.1)..  since my internet router is already 192.168.1.1 I tried to change the internal address of linuxmce to 192.168.1.3 so there would not be an address conflict....  I tried multiple times to change the internal address but it would never change, so instead, I left the internal address of .1, the external address of .2 and changed my internet router to .3...  I then changed my gateway in linuxmce to .3 (internet router)

Ok, so to make a long story longer, it's working, but is it right??  One NIC in my linuxmce..  external address .2, internal address .1, internet router and gateway for linuxmce .3  on my internet router I'm forwarding dhcp requests to linuxmce at .2 (does it matter if it's .1 or .2?)  when my devices come up and pull an address, they are showing a gateway of .1 (internal address of linuxmce, not the real internet gateway .3) but they can still access the internet, so like I said, it's working... I guess my only question is, should I leave it alone since it's working, or does anything need to be changed?

Thanks

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Network Help, Round 2
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 08:27:08 pm »
You should have just left the "internal" eth0:0 at 192.168.80.1 and saved yourself some trouble.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 09:05:27 pm »
ok Zaerc..  keep going.... if I had left it, would my other devices still access linuxmce, being on a different subnet??  (internet router, freenas all have the 192.168.1 subnet) and would my dhcp clients that pull the 192.168.80 address be able to get out to the internet through the 192.168.1 gateway??  Does linuxmce do all this routing during setup??  I work with cisco routers everyday, I just assumed that all my devices would have to be on the same subnet and didn't know that linuxmce would handle all of the routing if they were on different subnets..

and should I have set the static address (external) to something on the 192.168.1 subnet or 192.168.80?? remember I'm dealing with a single nic machine...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 09:17:48 pm by rrambo »

MarcoZan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 10:26:17 pm »
Hi rrambo

I have a situation very similar to yours.
My hybrid has a single nic, and during installation I gave it 2 IP addresses: I left the proposed 192.168.80.1 for "LMCE network" and put 192.168.1.3 for "normal network". I enabled DHCP on hybrid and disabled it on router.

My ADSL router IP is 192.168.1.254,  all devices hooked to "LMCE network" have obviously 192.168.80.* addresses and are able to access internet through my hybrid that acts as a gateway (and firewall also).

HTH
Marco

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 10:46:42 pm »
MarcoZan,

Thanks... I completely understand routing, but I didn't realize that linuxmce would handle the internal routing without having to setup everything myself...  I guess I didn't give linuxmce enough credit...  your situation is exactly like mine...  hopefully the system will allow me to change it without too much trouble at this point...  however, earlier, I could not change the internal address for some reason..  I'm going to give it a try...

MarcoZan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 12:21:41 am »
rrambo

I'm sorry if I gave you the impression to teach any lesson on routing. As you said your everyday work is related to routers it would be kinda ridicolous, isn't it ?  ;)
I was just describing the simple steps I took to have it working. One more thing I would warmly suggest (as also Zaerc did in his post) is to never change the 192.168.80.* IP range for "LMCE network".

Since the early days of Pluto (the ancestor of LMCE) this has always been source of big headaches. Even if choosing a different IP range is allowed, it sounds like LMCE is designed to work only wiht that specific one.
So stick with 192.168.80.* for LMCE, and feel free to use any other IP range for other subnets.
The core/hybrid will do the rest.

HTH
Marco

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 01:31:23 am »
no..  not at all.. you didn't come off like that, I was just saying I understand routers, but didn't realize the linuxmce handled the separate subnets and routed between them...  most home network setups of course make you keep everything on the same subnet so I just assumed everything needed to be...

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 02:13:41 am »
and should I have set the static address (external) to something on the 192.168.1 subnet or 192.168.80?? remember I'm dealing with a single nic machine...

Just let those devices get their ip#s from lmce's DHCP dynamicly, except for the internet router of course.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 03:49:55 pm »
I went in and changed everything on the network config to use 192.168.80 on the internal side...  everything is working fine...