Author Topic: Network help.  (Read 3798 times)

morrorless

• View Profile
Network help.
« on: November 25, 2007, 08:23:33 pm »
I need some help with my network setup as I am new to Linux. I want to run 2 seperate internal networks. 1 for LinuxMCE and the other for my computers. I would like for the computers to be able to network boot from the core on the other internal network. I thought I could set it up like this, DSL modem to router then split to the computer network and the Linux MCE network. I would to be able to share files between networks. Is this possible, and if so how could I do this? I have attached a diagram of how I would like this setup.

cyprus_dude

• View Profile
Re: Network help.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 08:58:34 pm »
internet-modem-LinuxMCE-switch- pc's/MD's

unless you want the router, in which case disable the DHCP server on the router and you can place it in between the switch and LinuxMCE (core) or after switch (i can see you wanting this only if you have a wireless router and want wireless)

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 09:43:56 pm »
if you want everyone to share files why do you even want two separate networks?
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

morrorless

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 02:03:28 am »
I am trying to maximize bandwidth for gaming. I don't know if using Linux MCE as the router will cause more lag than a normal router. This could possibly be dependent on the computer I use for the core. Also when power goes out with my current setup ( Modem-Router-Computers) no Linux MCE, I still keep my wireless internet with my ups and my laptop. My ups will not run the core for very long. Another thing is the wireless. Can a wireless router with DHCP turned off connected to the core still provide me wireless internet access? Then there is the issues of AT&T Uverse and their data streams. I have to watch how I set this up so when I connect my computers, the network only takes one of those data streams.If my concerns are unfounded then using the core for all my network traffic shouldn't be a problem. I apoligize that I have so many questions but I am very new to this.

cyprus_dude

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 09:46:17 am »
the usual method for using the wireless on a router in a network with an existing DHCP server is (after turning the in-built DHCP server off) to plug an RJ45 from the network into the switch panel, (the bank of four RJ45 sockets, not the WAN port) it will then transfer the DHCP requests/traffic as if it was a wireless access point

remember to change the IP to a static address outside the scope range of the core, otherwise troubles lay ahead for your network!

morrorless

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 01:37:57 pm »
What about my other concerns?

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 02:07:01 pm »
If you set it up like you suggest you can't share files or network boot your computers (except the MDs).
I have had LMCE fill up my 100MB LAN when ripping a DVD to a fileserver.
If you set it up like intended you can always move it into 'your' configuration later, that way you can check.
LMCE is supposedly designed not to flood the network, and so far I would agree that it seems that way.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 05:19:51 pm »
How about you just get started with the recommended setup and see how that works out before trying to do allsorts of stuff that isn't going to work without a huge amount of tweaking?
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

morrorless

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 06:41:42 pm »
I'll get it setup on a test network and see how it works.  When I get it setup I'll post my results. Thanks for all your help.