Author Topic: Please Help  (Read 4223 times)

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
Please Help
« on: November 27, 2007, 05:26:08 pm »
 >:(

I'm having a really strange problem...  I've posted before, but now I've figured out a little more, so I'm going to ask again..  When I first boot up my hybrid/core and the UI comes up...  I have no control over it with the keyboard/mouse...  keyboard does nothing, whether I pres F6,F7,F8..  and the mouse will just slowly jump from the beginning place.. wait several seconds, and then appear at the ending place....  but has no effect on anything on the screen..  ie.. will not activate the menus or any OSD buttons..  mouse clicks have no effect...  so, mouse will not track movement, will not activate any menu items, clicks do nothing...  keyboard does nothing...  they are both USB and I have tried unplugging them, plugging them back in...  same results...  I had this problem..  gave up, then just re-installed linuxmce and gave it a shot again...  same thing is happening..

Well, now I've figured out that if I kill the x session (control,alt,backspace), login at the command line, then startx, when KDE desktop comes up and then the UI comes up again, the keyboard and mouse will work..  so apparently, when the x server is initially starting, something is happening with keyboard and mouse..  can someone please help me solve this problem???

One more question, does linuxmce not detect UPNP shares??  On my freenas, I have both samba shares and upnp sharing..  the samba shares are detected by linuxmce, but not the upnp shared files...  other devices on my network detect these upnp shares, so my guess is that linuxmce does not detect them...

I would really appreciate any help with the keyboard/mouse issue..  It's driving my nuts...

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Please Help
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 02:03:17 am »
Update.. There was an update for linuxmce..  I told it to update on restart..  after the restart the keyboard/mouse was working fine.. so I thought maybe it was a bug that the update fixed...  well, I had to reboot the machine, now it's back up and the keyboard/mouse issue is back..  no response from either other than the jerky mouse movements that won't activate any menu items..  so I tried my usual fix, kill the xserver, login and startx..  UI came back up but the keyboard/mouse is still unresponsive...  also, when this is happening, the flickr images have broken lines like the picture has been cut and one half of the picture has been shifted slightly to the left or right...

Help??

rafik24

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 02:31:26 am »
 Hi rrambo,

This had happend to me even on debian, i never really looked on this issue but it is X related.

Try booting with acpi=off or try looking up Xorg forums

Rafik

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 03:48:55 pm »
another update, keyboard and mouse still unresponsive last night before I went to bed... woke up this morning, turned on the tv and now the keyboard/mouse is working.. ??  I'm lost...  seems as if I leave it alone for hours, it starts working..  which is fine as long as it's turned on and left on..  which it normally is, but if I have to reboot, my problem comes back...

also, if I switch to kde desktop, after a little while, the entire screen starts rolling to the left and the mouse cursor doesn't match up to anything on the screen..  I just have to guess where things are and start clicking on the screen...  I think I've got a big problem..

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 04:29:51 pm »
Sounds like hardware problems to me, what system are we talking about here?
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 04:35:10 pm »
Asus Pundit... bare bones.. Sempron 3000 1.8Ghz, 1GB ram, onboard Nvidia 6150...  been running Ubuntu on it for about 6 months with no problems..  was using it as my HTPC running feisty, then gutsy and XBMC for linux...  before that was using it for Geexbox..  always used Envy to install the Nvidia drivers and write my xorg.conf file..  ran absolutely perfect before installing linuxmce...  something seems to be happening when starting x server that locks up keyboard and mouse, but I can't figure out why letting sit overnight seems to fix the problem..

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 05:26:33 pm »
do you see anything using up more then it's fair share of resources when you run "top"?
-- Anonymous

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 05:40:22 pm »
I'll check it out when I reboot before I startx..  I get inpatient, thinking that restarting x usually fixes the problem...  but once I restart x, the UI comes up after KDE and then I'm back to an unresponsive keyboard/mouse..  unfortunately if there is a run away process when the x server is started, I have no way to get to a command prompt..  ssh isn't enabled on the core is it?

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 08:53:08 pm »
Zaerc,

cool..  ssh is enabled..  I rebooted and still having the same problem..  I ssh'd in and 99% of the cpu is being utilized by the Orbiter and Xorg..  50-75% for the Orbiter and the rest to Xorg..  average CPU usage is 95%

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 10:31:48 pm »
Killed X again, restarted it...  now everything is working again.. Orbiter and Xorg doesn't even show up in "top" they are using so little resource...  total system cpu usage when keyboard and mouse is working is averaging 2% with UI displayed and flickr images updating...  when keyboard/mouse locked up, total cpu usage averaging 95%

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 08:51:53 pm »
Maybe your display drivers aren't configured properly. See the wiki on how to do that manually.
-- Anonymous