Author Topic: LinuxMCE on Wal-mart's $200 gPC, is it possible??? it really is affordable  (Read 55373 times)

junior1

• View Profile
Re: LinuxMCE on Wal-mart's $200 gPC, is it possible??? it really is affordable
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2008, 05:17:30 am »
Now Im confused,
So what I have gathered from this thread is that you can not get UI2 overlay or Alpha blending using the Unichrome Pro drivers, and if you use the nVidia, you get the UI2 overlaying and the Alpha Blending, but you then have a problem with video tearing...  ???

So, what driver are we suppose to use to get LMCE to work correctly, as is shows in the "promotional" video??? 

Being new to the forum, I have to admit that Im getting a little nervous about designing my new total home theater, security, light system around LMCE.  I have based my choice for LMCE over Microsofts Media because of what I saw in the video that details the "features" of LMCE.  It seems the more I do my research, the farther I get from the idea that is promoted in the video that this software will work just like they say it will  right "out of the box". 

Have I gotten the wrong impression or mis-interpret what has been said in this thread??? 

Junior
jhill1023@gmail.com

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2008, 06:16:15 am »
I very rarely notice the tearing, and it only affects small bits... If you use the Masking version of UI2, then the problem completely goes away.. This has to do with the fact that the NVIDIA drivers in LinuxMCE are not synchronising to the vertical blank.

If you wish, use the masking version of the UI, to completely get rid of the anomaly, or see how it views from your perspective using UI2 with Blending.

I think you may be a little too worried over a small known anomaly.

-Thom

jvizueta

• Regular Poster
  • "Software is like sex; it’s better when it’s free"
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2008, 05:39:36 pm »
So, I found some other Unichrome Pro drivers available at http://www.openchrome.org, they include CN700 (VIA PC2500 chipset) among their supported chipsets
I would like to know if anybody has heard of those before, and how good are they compared to Viaarena's drivers, I'm talking about LinuxMCE here, I would really appreciate your opinion

Thank you  :)
"Which mindset is right? Mine, of course. People who disagree with me are by definition crazy. (Until I change my mind, when they can suddenly become upstanding citizens. I'm flexible, and not black-and-white.)"
      - Linus Torvalds

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2008, 06:07:02 pm »
So, I found some other Unichrome Pro drivers available at http://www.openchrome.org, they include CN700 (VIA PC2500 chipset) among their supported chipsets
I would like to know if anybody has heard of those before, and how good are they compared to Viaarena's drivers, I'm talking about LinuxMCE here, I would really appreciate your opinion

Thank you  :)
Don't expect anything beyond UI1.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous